Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Estrogen, urine?  (Read 13642 times)

riversong

Estrogen, urine?
« on: May 19, 2016, 05:02:35 AM »

Does anyone here know if it's common for your urine to get darker while on estrogen therapy? I'm drinking plenty of water and my urine is dark.

I'm using the patch, started last Monday.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 06:21:10 AM by riversong »

Dana

Re: Estrogen, urine?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2016, 07:07:08 AM »

I'm also using patches and I haven't noticed any difference with mine. Usually when it's dark it means you aren't drinking enough, but you say you are, so if it continues it might be worth a talk to your doctor in case there is an underlying problem, like a UTI.

Also, have a think about what you're eating too because some foods like beetroot, blueberries etc can definitely colour urine and stools. I learned that to my cost when I indulged in some beetroot crisps a few years back. The next day EVERYTHING was a dark red. It frightened the life out of myself until I realised it was the crisps. Also whenever I have blueberries with my cereal I always know everything is going to be a different colour the next day.

riversong

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2016, 07:30:45 AM »

Thank you Dana for getting back to me. I've been drinking water by the gallons, albeit it does get a little lighter but it still not as light as i feel it should be. In the mornings it's super dark, almost like sipped red tea and clear. I am not eating anything that would make it darker. The only cause that I can come up at this point would be the patch since it's the newest thing I've changed in my life.

riversong

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2016, 07:10:11 PM »

I rang into my Dr. and asked if this was a side effect and he said no.

Dana

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 04:28:14 AM »

Perhaps you should make an appointment to have a sample taken to rule out any infections.

riversong

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2016, 05:37:30 AM »

Yes, I made one just to be sure.

Dana

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2016, 06:20:29 AM »

Good. Let us know how you get on.

riversong

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2016, 07:16:44 AM »

Will do ☺

Dandelion

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2016, 01:07:50 PM »

If your wee smells funny, you have a UTI
I find the raw apple cider vinegar works a treat so long as you get the ACV from the mother apple.
It takes it away really quickly, but I would use it for a few days, while continuing to drink ACV, and it might also be worth a visit to the doc to check out why wee is dark when you drink loads.
Do you sweat a lot. i found that before hrt I sweated a lot even though I drank water and got UTI's cos of the sweat, there was loads of it.
I never bothered changing the sheets during the night, cos I would only need to keep changing them a few times a night and I couldnt be pestered with that, would rather use a sleeping bag, much easier to wash too.

Hurdity

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2016, 04:32:31 PM »

Not necessarily Dandelion - if you eat asparagus!! My husband cooked some last night and we had a whole pack between us - it gives off a very interesting odour an hour or two later, not to mention the colour ::)

Hurdity x

Dana

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2016, 02:27:10 AM »

Not necessarily Dandelion - if you eat asparagus!! My husband cooked some last night and we had a whole pack between us - it gives off a very interesting odour an hour or two later, not to mention the colour ::)

Hurdity x

Yeah, tell me about it. I love asparagus, but I suffer from that wee problem too. I went out to lunch last weekend and there were just 3 sticks of asparagus on the plate and I swear the odour was apparent less than an hour later when I went to the loo. Apparently not everyone has this problem though, according to something I saw on TV.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2016, 04:39:54 PM »

NOPE!!! smelly urine does NOT indicate an infection  >:(

Tempest

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2016, 09:31:03 PM »

Riversong, I'm 44 days on Estrogel and I've noticed this as well! I also noticed this when I was caring for my Mum after her radical hysterectomy years ago when she started HRT. I thought it was just us! I'm drinking lots of water too. It's all a bit strange, isn't it? :o

Hurdity

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2016, 11:54:38 AM »

I won't do the quote thing - but yes Dana - far less than an hour in my case too  that I first noticed it, although very noticeable after an hour or two - both colour and smell! I didn't realise it was only some people though!

Hurdity x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2016, 03:25:55 PM »

OK - back to the urine-for-you story .  In a person without medical problems the first pee of the day: i.e. after 2.00 p.m. : may well be dark.  Because the kidneys have been working.  As the day goes by then the urine will dilute until it should be straw coloured.  Any lighter then the person is drinking too much.  Too much fluid intake can be fatal.

What people [and bottled water advertisers] forget is that liquid is taken from the whole of a person's diet, not only from what they drink!  Seasonal foods [asparagus has been mentioned] can alter the quantity and colour of urine passed.  Urine in a healthy person has NO smell.

I have had urine infections and my urine had NO smell.  Certain smells on the body can indicate certain human diseases, i.e. sweet breath may well be the beginning of diabetes.

Pages: [1] 2