Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Has anyone tried Michael Mosely's Bloodsugar diet?  (Read 11758 times)

dahliagirl

Has anyone tried Michael Mosely's Bloodsugar diet?
« on: May 18, 2016, 01:17:09 PM »

https://thebloodsugardiet.com/

He was on the radio this morning (he had fallen 'off the wagon' and was doing a week cold turkey  ;D )

I am sure he said something about it helping with anxiety.  I am off to read a bit more about it.

Dx

Hurdity

Re: Has anyone tried Michael Mosely's Bloodsugar diet?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 03:09:19 PM »

Hi dahliagirl

Excessive intake of sugars and refined carbs can contribute to anxiety, feeling faint or light-headed and jitteriness due to overproduction of insulin which then takes sugar quickly out the the blood. Also leads to insulin resistance and high blood sugar.

I am not generally a fan of fad diets (having tried a few in the past!) - but if it makes people eat better (without having to spend lots of money) then that's all to the good!

I have been eating like this for some time and in particular since last September - but nothing to do with any celebrity diet! It is now well known (but not so much by the general public) that reducing carbs will help to regulate blood sugar, and help you burn fat - combined with increasing exercise and muscle toning means you will lose weight.

On various threads I've posted about this. No need to count calories or starve yourself - I mean who wants to only have 800 calories? 5:2 made me feel awful - well I did the alternate day fasting - but can't see the point when this method works. Basically all you need to do is firstly cut out all added sugar (including drinks), limit fruit to 2-3 pieces per day, and reduce carbs to say one meal a day (or none) to start with and then build up to however much you can eat and stay the same weight. Eat loads and loads of vegetables, pulses, lean protein, natural yogurt, eggs, nuts, milk etc. Yes occasional glass of wine, and dark choc. No worrying about having days off, go to some exercise classes ( or do it at home) and you will lose weight and feel better :). It's easy peasy!!! Even after going on holiday to Spain and eating and drinking loads for 10 days I was only a couple of pounds heavier when I came back and then just go back on the stricter regime for a bit and hey presto! I never go hungry. Perhaps eat more fruit than the strict regime - I mean you have to snack on something. I very rarely get the hypoglycaemic low blood sugar symptoms now, nor carb cravings.

So thumbs up from me. :)

Great for menopausal women because it is something you can control - whereas you can only control your hormones with HRT/the Pill. This would be the first thing I would try when peri - but I know also that extreme fluctuations of hormones can play havoc with blood sugar - but if you eat plenty of protein then it's OK.

Hurdity x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 04:18:27 PM »

Nope.  I like him as I think in general, he talks a lot of sense and is prepared to undergo all types of investigations  :o.  However, admitting that he stole his daughter's Easter egg  :-\ ……… and if he is supposed not to eat chocolate, then don't buy it!  Chocolate is supposed to be a treat!

dahliagirl

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2016, 04:32:06 PM »

I am glad to hear you do well on it Hurdity  :)

Having had a good read, it is what I try to do anyway.

In the past I have tried to eat low fat, as advised by the practice nurse, after a high blood cholesterol reading.  However, I found it really difficult (I did a spreadsheet and called it the Low Fat Spreadsheet - how anal is that?  ::)  I was left at the end of the day with eating a load of wholegrain starchy carbohydrate with nothing to help it down, and so could not get the calories in and so lost weight.

Then my vit D levels were down (probably not helped with the low dairy fat) and I realised I could not eat things because of allergies etc.

So now my diet is whatever I fancy, with lots of vegetables.  :)  I reduce my cake intake by only eating stuff I make, which slows it down somewhat (and you also know exactly how much sugar and fat is involved).  I try and stick to a low glycemic index, so not too much refined carbs and mashed potato.

I am still my usual weight but feel that I don't bend in the middle properly any more. So I am looking to improve my diet and exercise. I don't think I need to bother with the 800 calories, or 5:2 bit, although I think it does work for some people.  It does not appeal to me.  I do love the page on the Mediterranean etc diet though - I love the fact that it says butter is ok - and it is full of really nice appealing food  ;D https://thebloodsugardiet.com/the-low-carb-plan/

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 04:35:21 PM »

We eat a varied diet [when I'm not poorly] mostly from scratch.  Lots of variation, any left overs can be stir fried the next evening.  We buy peppers, mushrooms etc. in bulk and freeze, same with chicken, minced beef and rabbit pieces.  Himself uses garlic, ginger and various spices routinely to tart up the meals.

dahliagirl

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2016, 04:47:22 PM »

I think the biggest problem will be cutting sugar out of tea and, even more so, out of the coffee  :-\

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2016, 04:48:07 PM »

Oh stand back anyone who thinks that they can wean me off my black T with 2 sugars  ;D

coldethyl

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2016, 05:39:53 PM »

I low carb high ( ish) fat as I'm type 2 - reduced my BS to normal and lost over 5st and lowered my cholesterol. The blood sugar diet is pretty much just a lower calorie version of that to kickstart your weight loss and see quick results on blood sugar levels. It is loosely based on research from Newcastle uni by Prof Roy Taylor and lots of folk on diabetic forum  have had success with it.
I'd avoid fruit other than berries as it is basically just a sweetie in skin and stick to leafy green veg, good fats like olive oil and nut oils, avocados and the like. Don't be scared of butter and full fat dairy as low fat is often full of hidden sugars. There's a lot of evidence that a) cholesterol problems are carb driven and b) it's a red herring re cardiovascular health.
Have a look at the diet doctor site as lots of good stuff on it. You don't need to go low calorie as well as low carb to shift weight.

Winterose

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2016, 01:16:12 PM »

Walnuts and almonds are good too - these with a couple of squares of really dark chocolate are very satisfying, lots of green veg and berries ,

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2016, 03:02:37 PM »

I think I've typed this B4:

I don't like lettuce much; onions upset me badly but I luv 'em; OK to eat, peppers, mushrooms, peas, all kinds of beans, raw or chopped briefly boiled cabbage, broccoli, sprouts, spuds in any form: pasta and rice: chicken, rabbit, mince for home-made beer burgers, occasionally steak and rarely pork unless it's really crispy.  Pork pie with salad.

Rarely: sausages, never bought beef burgers; Himself eats lots of fish either freshly caught, home-smoked or tinned.  Tripe: NEVER.

Cheese for salads.  I can't eat cauliflower so out went cauliflower cheese  ::).  Dark chocolate for pudding.  Himself will cook a mixture of the above each evening …….. and any left over will be stir fried - bubble and squeak anyone  ;D.  We eat our main meal in the evening ………… 

Dyan

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2016, 03:47:52 PM »

Dahliagirl-  just caught up with this thread.
I bought some total sweet xylitol sugar the other day to replace agave nectar in my porridge in the mornings. Apparently it's meant to be better for you and it has 40% less calories than granulated sugar and it doesn't spike your blood glucose levels. Can't say what's it s like in hot drinks cos I don't have them sweetened anyway. Xylitol doesn't have fructose in it which is a baddy, apparently :-\

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2016, 03:57:03 PM »

My B in L tried that Dyan and the only 'benefit' he found was that it cleared his bowels  :o.  He went back to sugar after 6 months  ;)

Dyan

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2016, 04:01:56 PM »

Yes it does say that excess consumption has a laxative effect :o
Although I've been ok cos I only have the one tsp a day in ma porridge but thank you for pointing that out. It could be terrible for someone who has sugar in their drinks throughout the day :o

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2016, 04:04:01 PM »

Which is what he did and what we do  ::)  ;D …….. black T with 2 sugars x 5 times a day, plus Coke at the moment  ::)

babyjane

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2016, 04:11:46 PM »

I don't need or want to lose weight but I do find if I have refined sugar I don't feel as well, caffeine gives me a streak of tension and too much wheat triggers IBS like symptoms.  The majority of our diet is vegetarian but I also eat salmon, mackerel, cod or haddock and lean meat, turkey or chicken breast.  Sweet potatoes are better on the GI index than baked potatoes and we like them, brown rice and spelt pasta. Our favourite veggies are tenderstem broccole, kale, sprouting and we love blueberries, plums, nectarines, all summer fruits.

We are happy with our diet  :)
Pages: [1] 2