Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Menopause and Work  (Read 3098 times)

Cider

Menopause and Work
« on: May 17, 2016, 06:11:40 PM »

My work has recently started a Menopause Self Help Group and the first meeting is next month which I will be attending.  Our "Big Cheese" is a lady and she has is very keen on Menopause awareness in the workplace and has started this group.  Anyone else had positive experiences like this?

I will report back how the first meeting goes.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Menopause and Work
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 06:18:52 PM »

Point her in this direction?  Is this a female only work environment or will men be invited along?

We have several work related threads here …… usually about problems in work due to hormonal upheaval  :-\

star-mam

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 06:39:00 PM »

Wow, that's amazing.

I work in an almost all-female team, but as the vast majority are younger than me (and I'm in premature menopause) it's not a subject that comes up very often :(

Dyan

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 06:41:58 PM »

Same here star-mam. I'm the 2nd oldest,my boss being the oldest.

babyjane

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2016, 06:42:26 PM »

what a good boss to do this for her colleagues.  Very sensible as I am sure her female staff will work better as a result.

Cider

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2016, 07:19:56 PM »

Point her in this direction?  Is this a female only work environment or will men be invited along?

We have several work related threads here …… usually about problems in work due to hormonal upheaval  :-\

Good idea CLKD - I will bring this site up if people are not already aware of it.

I work in a mixed environment, but I believe the meetings are female only. I have asked to be more involved in the group, but it is all early stages yet.

Cider

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2016, 07:28:18 PM »

what a good boss to do this for her colleagues.  Very sensible as I am sure her female staff will work better as a result.

She is doing an amazing job. In my 15 years of employment there we have had only had male's in charge in the highest position, and only one of them was any good. She is the best we have had and has implemented much more beneficial shift patterns and listened to what people are saying.   She is only acting in the role at the moment (the actual having been suspended) but we hope she stays right where she is.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2016, 07:34:48 PM »

We are aware that menopause can begin a 'any' age which GPs and the work place may not be aware of.  Also, there is a list of 'usual' meno symptoms which may be worth taking with you  ;)

If the Meeting goes well maybe suggest that any men ask questions if they are interested, they may have partners ;-)

Kathleen

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2016, 07:52:08 PM »

Hello Cider.

I'm impressed with your workplace group, very forward thinking!

I'd like to believe that it's getting easier to talk about the menopause and health concerns generally.

We currently have the builders in and so far topics have included the menopause of the carpenter's wife, the prostate cancer of the electrician, the prostate tests of the kitchen fitter ( and his neighbour ) and the special diet of one of the men who delivered the fridge freezer! Needless to say I mentioned my menopause to all of them ( nobody sleeps when I'm on lol!)

I think it's great that we can be so honest with each other. To quote the delivery guy who wasn't on the special diet, 'it's all part of life'. True that.

Wishing you well Cider and do keep us updated.

K.

Cider

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2016, 07:51:08 AM »

Brilliant!!

I mention the menopause quite a bit at work. If I am suffering then everyone else can too!!  Ha ha. But seriously, I am one of the oldest in the office and nobody ever talked to me about it or what it would be like. I think the younger women in the office need to be aware of what they might face in the future. The men run away from it, but they can just suck it up as far as I am concerned. It affects them too, or it does when I am in the room!

Hurdity

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2016, 08:53:39 AM »

Thanks for posting this Cider - great to hear about some positive experiences and new initiatives like this :). Maybe as well as a women only one they could also start one for men so that they know what they are dealing with!  ::)

Hurdity x

Annidav

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2016, 09:43:47 PM »

Great idea. Nothing like that at my work.