Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Hello Ladies - I'm new !!  (Read 2640 times)

sharnbird

Hello Ladies - I'm new !!
« on: May 23, 2016, 03:50:07 PM »

Hi Everyone
I've read a few posts, and now I've been authorised I intend to overdose on posts tonight after work !!!
It's only recently I've thought I might be at the start of peri-menopause (I'm 46) and my doctor confirmed it a couple of weeks ago.  I am very fuzzy headed - I forget things or rather I am always trying to remember things. I am so so so tired all the time -  like 8.30am.  Is this normal?  My periods are totally erratic after always being like clockwork and I feel drained of energy.  I'm waking up hot in the night and I am sure this weekend I had hot flushes - though I'd like to know what they feel like - made me feel a bit like I had some kind of bug but no other symptoms only going hot.

I don't really fancy HRT, and my mom didn't have it, but I'll see how it goes. 

Any advice for a newbie would be appreciated.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Hello Ladies - I'm new !!
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 03:55:22 PM »

:welcomemm:  HRT is a matter of personal choice.  It can ease symptoms enormously though.  Some ladies find 'alternatives' help until their own hormones over-rule any benefits  ::).

Browse round.  Make notes!  Vaginal atrophy can be helped by localised application of oestrogen replacement.  A few anti-depressant medications can ease anxiety for some ladies but not all. 

Your Mum may have required it but kept quiet ……… ?  or maybe she was fine and coped as necessary.  Not a reason to dismiss consideration of HRT for you if symptoms over-whelm ;-).

babyjane

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 04:13:41 PM »

Hello  :)   :welcomemm:

Kathleen

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 05:20:11 PM »

Hello sharnbird and welcome to the forum.

As we say here, everyone is different and your menopause may be hassle free!

Your post reminded me that when all this started I became convinced that my husband kept leaving the heating on all night because I was getting so hot in bed in bed!

Take care and keep posting.

K.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 09:27:49 PM »

I felt like I had 'flu starting after the 1st Tamoxifen tablet  :sigh:, the medication gave me cold flushes from the back of my neck down to the middle of my back, in waves …….. HORMONES  >:(

lily

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2016, 03:15:27 AM »

I thought i had a temperature when i first started having them  :o

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2016, 05:07:01 PM »

Hi sharnbird

:welcomemm:

How erratic are your periods -ie how long is your cycle now - have you missed many periods? If you are well into peri-menopause ( ie periods are few and far between) then you should really consider HRT at some point due to your age (unless medically advised not to) - since any woman who reaches menopause below the average age of menopause ie 51/52, is advised to replace oestrogen at least until this age to help protect heart and bones.

Many of us experience that hot feeling before flushes and sweats start - I remember thinking - are these hot flushes - and then months later they started in earnest!

It might be an idea also to go to the doc and report your symptoms - especially related to the tiredness because they should offer blood tests to rule out other causes eg underactive thyroid etc, and maybe iron deficiency. Is your diet good? Now is the time to make changes to your lifestyle - diet, exercise, body weight, alcohol, smoking etc - if necessary - to make sure your body and health are in the best possible place as you enter this next phase of your life :) .

Hurdity x