Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Hot Flushes and Night Sweats  (Read 1778 times)

Dizzilizzi1

Hot Flushes and Night Sweats
« on: May 16, 2016, 06:04:04 PM »

Hi,  I'm new.  I'm wondering if people can tell me their experiences of flushes/ night sweats please.  I've been getting them the past 18 months or so but until the past few weeks they were very mild and sporadic.  The last 3 months they seem to be getting more frequent and intense to the point I have started counting them!!  Since 1st May I've had about 90.  Both at night time and during the day. Afterwards I get very cold and shivery and i feel like I have a fever some of the time.

I have some auto immune issues of which can cause similar symptoms.  I'm 50 and still ovulating every month.  My gynaecologist  says I am peri menopausal but after an examination he thinks I have a while yet before my periods show signs of stopping.

Does this all sound like normal stuff??
Thanks.

Elizabethrose

Re: Hot Flushes and Night Sweats
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 07:00:51 PM »

Hi Dizzilizzi1

Welcome to MM, I'm fairly new myself!

I am rather hoping I'm late stage peri now as it's been going on for about 14 years. Haven't had a period since 18th Dec, my longest cycle yet, and the hot flushes kicked in BIG TIME about 2 mths ago. Within a week of starting they began building in intensity and frequency, coming about every 15mins. Apart from fanning myself frantically, I'm coping ok with them but the night sweats are a real nuisance. I've had these off and on over the years but they too are now fairly extreme. I'm getting about 4/5 a night and I'm woken with what feels like a surge of adrenaline before the intense heat sweeps through and leaves me wide awake for at least half an hour. I'm absolutely whacked out as my sleep is so disturbed and subsequently lucky to get past 10pm before I'm ready to fall into bed. I'm a real bag of laughs at the moment!

I've decided I'm going to fight back now; husbands given up and moved into another room; the duvets off the bed and swopped for a light cotton blanket and top sheet from John Lewis; Evian spray by the bed ready to blast myself! I'm away at the moment but it's all set up for my return. Haha, my hopes are high!!

Interestingly I clearly had a surge of oestrogen a few weeks ago and the sweats and flushes stopped very suddenly for about two weeks before they kicked in again. Oh the joys of womanhood!

dazned

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2016, 07:29:05 PM »

:welcomemm:

Have you had your thyroid checked ? Similar symptoms too.

Dizzilizzi1

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2016, 08:25:31 PM »

Hi.  Thanks for the input everyone.  Yes,  I've had my thyroid checked. I'll have a look at the "renedies"  available.  Anyone had great success with anything in particular?
X