Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Anxiety depression and the menopause  (Read 3967 times)

babyjane

Anxiety depression and the menopause
« on: May 16, 2016, 10:43:22 AM »

The amount of threads representing anxiety and depression is alarming.  I have found them so supportive and helpful but the fact that so many of us are struggling with these problems worries me because it seems that doctors just are not getting it in a lot of cases.

For myself I am reasonably content with the treatment and help I have been offered but so many members here are not and that makes me sad.

Suffering anxiety and depression affects our quality of life to a greater or lesser degree and it seems that a lot of us are getting our information, advice and support on these boards and a lot of GPs have a 'one size fits all' approach to the problem.

Surely it is time for a change in approach, 6 weeks CBT and an SSRI sometimes only scratches the surface and effective help and treatment could mean people can get back to their lives, families and jobs.

Dyan

Re: Anxiety depression and the menopause
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 10:50:28 AM »

You're right babyjane. It's finding the right person to deal with it.No NHS GP could help me other than give me ADs of every kind as they hadn't a clue what was wrong. That's why I had to go private otherwise I probably wouldn't have been here today. We shouldn't have to go private and a lot of people can't afford too. We have all paid into our national health service but not getting the service.

babyjane

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2016, 11:06:05 AM »

That was going to be my next observation Dyan.  The NHS resources just are not there to harness the necessary services.

I was given 6 weeks CBT and medication plus regular check ins with the GP but although it was helpful it did not go deep enough and the only NHS therapy beyond that was not accessible to me due the need to travel quite a long way in the evening which I cannot do.

My only option was a private therapist who is very good and I am doing well, but it has reduced my disposable income considerably although what price health?  Hopefully as a result I will be better able to function the way I want to. But not everyone can do this as you have so rightly said.

Tinkerbell

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2016, 11:06:40 AM »

Trouble is mental health across all ages has a Cinderella service... My young child suffered PTSD, six month waiting list for help...we had to go private.
Like you say Babyjane , if money was put into the right treatment and was easily available long term problems may be avoided in some cases.

babyjane

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2016, 11:10:41 AM »

and worst case scenario lives could be saved.  We have a relative who was so traumatised he considered taking his life.  Fortunately his parents got him the help he needed and after several years he was sufficiently recovered to take responsibility for himself.  Nowadays he helps others but they are not always as fortunate as he was and the outcome can be a sad one.

lisa789

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2016, 11:25:40 AM »

I've suffered with anxiety for many years to the extent I was totally housebound and didn't leave the house at all for 18 months.

The only help I've had is from a Community Mental Health Worker anyone senior to that won't do home visits.

I think my issues were a result of undiagnosed PTSD. I manage to get out every day now but only within a few yards of my home and the whole time I'm out I'm on the verge of a panic attack.

If I need to go anywhere appointments etc I have to be heavily sedated with alprazolam. I've missed out on so much it makes me sad but every day I open that front door and make myself go out. Sometimes I hyperventilate the whole time but I refuse to become housebound again. My world is very small but I have to hope it'll improve.

Mental health services are cut to the bone. We have a ever increasing population in this country and services are getting cut not expanding.

babyjane

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2016, 12:33:32 PM »

Well done for empowering yourself lisa789.  whatever little progress you make you are taking charge of your condition.  I know a lady such as yourself with CPTSD who has been housebound for many years.  She was having a therapist but funding was cut and it was just taken away from her just like that.  :(

Did anyone see the lunchtime news report about the Duke and duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry's launch of their new mental health awareness charity - Heads Together?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 12:35:57 PM by babyjane »

lisa789

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2016, 01:20:30 PM »

That's awful the poor lady. So she's just left with no help? I was like that for many years and had to fight to get a CMHN. It's more in depth therapy I need but they won't do home visits. I don't want to be going to see a therapist heavily sedated as it wouldn't work and to go anywhere past the end of my road I have to take sedatives to stop the panic attacks. Feel like I'm in a no win situation

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2016, 01:50:42 PM »

Check your Local Authority web-site to see what actions are being taken.  Each County has to have a plan in hand by the Autumn in order to qualify for more funding.  By reading our Council Site: I was reporting pot holes at the time!: I noted something that said "People are being invited to discussions about ……… " .  I immediately sent an e-mail the Dr in charge of this to ask where my Invite was and how could I access it.  Still waiting for a reply from him  >:(

Himself and I did search around and found a meeting close to us, 3 members of the public attended  :sigh: - apparently Council Offices, Leisure Centres and Libraries had been sent posters but not GP Surgeries  :-\

Tempest

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2016, 05:29:06 PM »

Just hearing on the news that Sinead O Connor has gone missing and police are concerned that she is suicidal. She's 50. You know what I'm thinking, don't you?

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2016, 05:34:24 PM »

Nope ………..  :-\ I believe that there had been bullying in some form ………. only skimmed the detilas at the weekend.

Tempest

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2016, 05:39:40 PM »

True! Was just reading up about it. She's seems really troubled the last few years I think. :o :(

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2016, 06:03:38 PM »

Time will tell  :'(    [don't give up] ………

Problem is, there's no 'right/wrong', 'usual/not' with The Change.  It's so tiring  :-\