Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Progesterone causing insomnia??  (Read 7679 times)

DEETLE

Progesterone causing insomnia??
« on: May 16, 2016, 04:45:32 AM »

I just took my progesterone expecting to feel sleepy, but instead I am wide awake and cannot sleep at all for several hours now??  did I not take enough?

Liz

Re: Progesterone causing insomnia??
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 06:30:37 AM »

My Utrogestan has the opposite effect - knocks me out completely and I have a great night's sleep when I'm taking it...... how much do you take?  Mine is 200mg for 12 days a month (days 15-26).

Tinkerbell

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2016, 11:13:52 AM »

I couldn't tolerate utrogestan after day 6, the wired up lack of sleep got to me. I felt dangerous to drive and couldn't function during the day.

DEETLE

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2016, 01:07:14 PM »

can anyone tell me why this happened?  I have not slept a wink and on top of it I have horrific Heart palps all night from the progesterone?? 100 mg.   I read it would make me sleep?  what do I do?

Tinkerbell

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2016, 01:41:55 PM »

If you search on here, there are mixed reviews on utrogestan, is that what you are taking? Some ladies say it helps you sleep others have the opposite.
Not sure if you become more tolerant to it as time goes on, but I had to give it up as I work and have a youngish family to deal with.
I used mine vaginally, meant to be less side effects apparently  :-\
I am now five weeks in with the Mirena, interestingly i seem to be sleeping well since having it fitted but am now into my forth week of constant spotting :(

Tinkerbell

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2016, 01:51:35 PM »

That's good to hear, as apart from the spotting I don't seem to have any other side effects.

DEETLE

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2016, 02:59:25 PM »

These are a couple of things I've found useful that you could try

Use the capsules vaginally
Up your oestrogen while you're on the Utrogestan phase (I find I really only need to do this for those first 5 troublesome nights!)

When I first changed to Utrogestan I tried taking 200mgs orally and it nearly wiped me out.  Of course other women just lap it up.

I find it really interesting how we can all have such dramatically different responses, but there you are, we are complex creatures  :)   Please take care if you really don't feel safe to drive.

Stella, can you tell me if you use it vaginally does it keep you calm and let you sleep??   I tried it vaginally couldn't sleep and I also have it in a cream and couldn't sleep.. doesn't seem to matter for me?   what do you mean it nearly wiped you out when you first took 200 mgs orally??  thanks

DEETLE

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2016, 03:00:28 PM »

has it caused heart palps in anyone

Cassie

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2016, 06:02:09 PM »

Yes! It makes me feel like I have drunk 2 huge mugs of strong coffee, heart palps and jittery plus very wired up, when I do sleep the dreams are also jittery and silly, some people react that way unfortunately.

Tinkerbell

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2016, 06:10:20 PM »

I felt wired up even on 100mg vaginally and needed the loo three times in the night....I didn't have that problem before or since stopping it.
I am bothered by palpitations at night anyway, but didn't notice anymore whilst using it.

DEETLE

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2016, 07:33:51 PM »

Ok ladies... I just got my new blood tests back.. can anyone help me understand the results??  (they were taken on day 4 of my period)

Progesterone    4.12

Follicular phase     0.15 to  1.40 ng/mL
Luteal phase         3.34 to 25.56 ng/mL
Mid-luteal phase    4.44 to 28.03 ng/mL

Estradiol      49

Follicular Phase    19.5 to 144.2  pg/mL
Midcycle peak      63.9 to 356.7  pg/mL
Luteal phase        55.8 to 214.2  pg/mL
Postmenopausal     0.0 to 32.2   pg/mL

FSH     high at 19.9    (1.4-18.1 mIU/mL)

Please and thank you

Hurdity

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2016, 08:26:30 PM »

DEETLE

Insomnia is listed as a side effect of Utrogestan but not palpitations nor any effect on the heart. These must be due to some knock-on effect perhpas? Also feeling hot/fever is listed.

I have never taken utrogestan orally but it always knocks me out when using vaginally ie I feel very tired in the mornings (more than usual) but also have disturbed sleep and dreams - partly due to it affecting my bladder so I need to get up and the dreaming occurs during the bladder irritated phase before I'm aware I need to get up!

I know that taken orally can lead to dizziness - and I don't know if that is the wired up feeling - certainly  the whole lot has to be digested and go through the liver....

What time of day did you take it? I would take it at bedtime and then the peak hit will occur while you're asleep - but you might dream and have to pee more!

Re the blood tests - were these done while you were on HRT? The prog as you can see is higher than expected so if you weren't on HRT could indicate your cycle is awry ( which it will be if peri!). Estradiol is on the low side for that stage in the cycle (but not extremely low) but you may be at a different stage on account of the prog reading. FSH is within range really - slightly high for that part of the cycle but the GP ref range gives the luteal phase range to be up to 26.

Has the doc said anything - sorry can't remember why you've had blood tests especially if you're on HRT and because they vary so much?

Hurdity x

DEETLE

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2016, 08:46:52 PM »

no my doctor is kinda clueless sadly..  but I requested to have blood done every month because I am trying to be careful with the hormones..  maybe that is silly but this is all new to me right now and I feel so awful all the time, I want to know if my levels are building up ok??  yes those tests were done on the hormones.  so does it look like I need more estrogen then??

by the way, does estrogel help you sleep?  is that why everyone here says take it at bedtime?

Hurdity

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2016, 04:10:10 PM »

DEETLE - it's difficult to draw conclusions from blood tests for oestrogen because it varies so much. What you need to do is go by your symptoms. Are you feeling better generally? Have your flushes and sweats gone?

I'm sure I've said this already but do look at lifestyle factors as well as HRT - diet, exercise, alcohol, weight etc. HRT  is not a cure all! If you are feeling anxious there are techniques to use to help you cope - and these have been posted about on the forum.

Try not to worry and concentrate on the fact that you will improve and feel better soon :)

Hurdity  x