Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Facial epilation!!!!  (Read 6432 times)

countrybumpkin

Facial epilation!!!!
« on: May 17, 2016, 07:35:53 PM »

Having a little problem in the beard and moustache area and having exhausted all forms of hair removal and cannot have laser as I reacted badly to the test I decided to try the braun facial epilator specially designed for your face only.

Don't is all I can say.

Its terribly technical in that the device can rotate both ways and you need it to be against the way the hair grows. I was never any good on left and right let alone working out which way my hair is growing and which way the device needs to be rotating. When I did get it to work it was a rather nasty shock unless your into certain dodgy practises
No matter how I tried/positioned or rotated it would not remove some areas.

Thankfully it also doubles as a facial cleansing brush which is what I think I will be using it for.

Joyce

Re: Facial epilation!!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 10:15:23 PM »

Oucha!

I bought one for my legs/bikini area years ago thinking how bad can it be! Horrendous, so can imagine how facial one is, even more horrendous. Poor you. I prefer tweezing when necessary, but I'm really fair so get away with it for longer.

Scampi

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 06:58:27 AM »

I've wondered about investing in a No-No - anyone tried one?  They are expensive, but if it works it'll be worth having .... struggling to keep up with the tweezers and bleach these days and I'm not willing to turn into my Grandma just yet!

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2016, 07:45:13 AM »

I think all of these things just encourage hair growth and are best avoided unless of course you are really hairy.

My hairdresser is only just 30 and a pretty girl and from a distance looks flawless, however when she's up close doing my hair you can clearly see that she does some sort of hair removal on her upper lip. There are tiny little pin ****s of hair which, to me anyway, look worse than soft down.

Scampi

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 10:15:14 AM »

Soft down wouldn't be a problem, but my upper-lip hair is so dark and dense it's a visible 'tash from across the room (NOT my imagination - it's visible on photographs).  I bleach it when I can, but I can't do it very often as the bleach makes my skin sore, nor can I leave it on long enough to totally remove the colour.  The hair on my chin is, for the most part, quite light coloured (except the odd very dark one, which I pluck), but in certain areas it's very long (over half an inch) - not a good look! 

There is no scientific reasoning behind any form of hair removal encouraging growth - hair removal methods that cut the hair make the re-growth look denser as the tip of the hair is blunt and the shaft thick, rather than a hair that has re-grown from the follicle which is tapered to a fine tip.

countrybumpkin

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2016, 10:30:25 AM »

The nono is absolutely useless and makes the whole house smell of burning hair and skin for ages. don't waste your money.

I have had a massive facial hair problem since I was in my 20;s as I was black haired so have tried everything. Its not an option to do nothing unless I want to promote myself as the bearded lady, I lierally would have a full tache and goatee beard in black!

I gave in years ago and just shave like a man in the morning but i live in mortal dread of someone gently patting my chin later in the day. A friend did this once and I jumped like a scalded cat and then had to make excuse that he had started me ::) ::)

Thankfully my husband knows all my embarrasing bodily problems but I still cringe when using my shaver.

I was wanting to try something that lasted more than 12 hrs but have to admit defeat. 

My friend had the same problem and she made her husband promise that if she ended up unconscious in intensive care or gaga in a care home he had to shave her every day.

Joyce

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2016, 02:57:36 PM »

Country bumpkin, my mum was very conscious of her hairy chin from her mid 50's. She shaved. Regrowth was horrid. So she decided to spend a small fortune on electrolysis. It was supposed to make regrowth softer etc. She ended up with a pitted, bristly chin.

My daughter has been told to wield the tweezers if I get beyond doing my own chin.  She hated having to kiss her grandmothers with their hairy chins.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2016, 04:27:17 PM »

Thanks for the warning.  I read the adverts and wondered    ……

So far tweezing works mostly.  My upper lip is due for some creaming if I can stay awake long enough …… then I can keep it at bay with the tweezes.  It is now dark, fine white or stiff white  :o …….

Because each hair has it's own 'tunnel' and root base, shaving does not encourage thicker growth.  It isn't possible, although our Grannies would have use believe it so  ::).  I tried electrolysis in the 1980s but it was SO painful and left a rash that I went twice.  I was so aware that my upper lip had been tampered with ……..