Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Sertraline  (Read 6844 times)

TropicalVon69

Sertraline
« on: May 15, 2016, 02:37:31 PM »

Has anyone experienced of sertraline....started taking it yesterday, admittedly a stressful day but today my heart has been racing like a train....is this normal and will it go away?....also lots of adrenaline zingers....maybe due to yesterday too

PEONY

Re: Sertraline
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2016, 02:59:26 PM »

Had such a bad reaction to this that I only took one dose.

Within half an hour of taking it I experienced extreme euphoria which then subsided into a prolonged panic attack.

My doctor has marked my medical records as being hypersensitive to it, so won't be taking it again.

Justjules

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2016, 03:01:56 PM »

Yes, I had loads of awful side affects. Terrible agitation, no appetite, awake from 3:00am every morning. Stuck it for 6 weeks then couldn't do it anymore. Having said that, I know people who have had no problems at all and swear by it. I needed diazepam to be able to cope with the side affects. I am an anxious person so probably that makes side affects worse whereas if it's just for depression you may not get any. X

TropicalVon69

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2016, 03:15:14 PM »

Thanks ladies, was just in such a bad place with depression and exhaustion, Think I may have adrenal fatigue...now worried about crashing if I stop  :'(

warwick01

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2016, 03:40:15 PM »

Hi

Same as Peone....... shocking side effects......

Hope it works for you ::)

Wxx

TropicalVon69

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2016, 03:55:13 PM »

Not sure wether to keep on with it or not....have blood pressure issues too and my head feels like it could pop off....maybe die to heart raving too......offs.....any anti d suggestions ladies....thanks for your wisdom  :)

coldethyl

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2016, 04:04:57 PM »

I took one, blood pressure went skyhigh, vomiting, agitation, felt like I was hearing voices and felt manic- GP said keep on with it- second tablet, no sleep, BP still skyhigh, suicidal ideation- ended up at a and e and told I had serotonin syndrome. Would now not touch SSRIs with bargepole- my bp is still elevated at times as I am now convinced I have high BP so get worked up when I have it done- I can no longer even use home monitor as I get white coat syndrome with that too now. Bizarrely I had previously taken it for several weeks with zilch benefit or side effects during period of post partum OCD. I think that our bodies become more sensitive with the hormonal swings of peri.

PEONY

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2016, 04:12:10 PM »

Tropic I take fluoxetine (prozac), 20mg for which I have had no side effects to speak of.

Have been taking them for about 10 months and am presently in the process of gradually being weaned off.  Also with no probs.

AD's are very Marmite though.  What suits one person is terrible for another.

TropicalVon69

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2016, 06:06:33 PM »

Thanks for all your replies and advice....good to hear from personal experiences.....Rockhopper is this racing heart common?...thanks again for all your input....I have only been taking 25mg....will see how tonight goes....fingers crossedx

babyjane

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2016, 06:18:02 PM »

I was another who couldn't take sertraline.  On the 4th night I woke up and I was totally convinced that my son was in his bedroom planning to come and kill us in our beds.  I knew it was the pills but the belief was real.  I never took another pill.  this was many years ago.

I am currently on a low dose of escitalopram and after three months I am still getting side effects that were increasing and really affecting me on a day to day basis despite there also being some benefits.  But it just got too much so I have started cutting the pill in half and feel a little more stable.  I will see how things go.

I think if sertraline is ok for you then you do very well but quite a lot of people are unable to tolerate it.

TropicalVon69

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2016, 07:24:42 PM »

Babyjane ....really scared now about continuing sertraline...I have had many scary thoughts during peri and the thought of this terrifies me...sorry to hear your ad isn't suiting, sure I had read you were doing well on it too....hugs

babyjane

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2016, 09:16:32 AM »

TV I am sorry if my comments alarmed you but I had to tell how it was for me.  I wouldn't want anyone to suffer the same way.  If you get feelings that alarm you please contact your surgery.

Don't worry about me, I am very sensitive to meds and am feeling better today after taking half my dose yesterday and today.  I don't think I need much as I am not an extreme case and I am also having help from a psychotherapist.

Vanessa1

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2016, 09:24:19 AM »

Hi there, try not to listen to the negative reviews - everyone is different.  I've been prescribed Sertraline and it's my first week taking it so fingers crossed it works for us!  I've been taking HRT for 6 months but it's not helping with my anxiety and depression;  recently had another unexpected bereavement and just felt I needed some extra help.  I've started off on 25 mgs and am on day 4;  going to up it to 50mg next week and then 100 mgs a couple of weeks later;  still have anxiety but probably due to worrying about taking the meds!  The only other side effect I'm having is mild nausea and a bit of a tummy upset but then again that flares up quite often anyway when I'm stressed.  I'm ignoring all the negative reviews, taking my tablet and forgetting about it.  My friend has been on Sertraline for 3 years and she's doing great.  Good luck x

TropicalVon69

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2016, 07:13:20 AM »

Thanks again for all your input ladies, on day 4 now too Vanessa....feeling pretty jittery but did before starting too...I felt pretty nauseous yesterday but just taken todays.....yip fingers crossed for us Vanessa....sure hope this works for both of us xxx

Vanessa1

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2016, 08:12:27 AM »

Hiya  :) yep me too;  bit jumpy but I think it's the anxiety worrying about the meds, so don't give up!  Yes, feel a bit nauseous too today, but I get that when I'm anxious too and I believe it does settle after a couple of weeks ... I might stay on 25 mg for 2 weeks instead of 1 to let them settle a bit more ... let us know how you get on xxx
Pages: [1] 2