Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Question about NICE and ADs  (Read 7468 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Question about NICE and ADs
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2016, 05:59:37 PM »

It is so tiring  :'(

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2016, 06:09:50 PM »

For me though, it makes more sense to treat the cause than the symptoms. Then surely you are getting to the root of the problem.  But I suppose at that age, the young girl will experience fluctuations.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2016, 06:12:41 PM »

Chicken and egg?  At her age PMT should have been investigated. 

4 me the problems were never discussed, so I was unable to get to the bottom of my panic attacks because no one asked me what was causing them  :-[

Briony

« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2016, 06:30:51 PM »

I felt quite shocked/guilty when I found out as I tend to always think 'is it hormones?' (perhaps too much so) when someone has those sorts of issues. I think with her, the anxiety was so extreme that, combined with  the lack of obvious physical symptoms (no period pain, no acne etc), I - like my colleagues - only considered a psychiatric cause.  It was interesting to hear the person who told me (I wasnt involved directly) say it has now been classified as a 'physical illness' as opposed to psychiatric.

I ummed and ahhed about posting this, but do genuinely think it's an important issue and hope others could be helped. I have kept it as anonymised as possible.

lisa789

« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2016, 07:01:32 PM »

For me though, it makes more sense to treat the cause than the symptoms. Then surely you are getting to the root of the problem.  But I suppose at that age, the young girl will experience fluctuations.

I wholeheartedly agree with this. I was pushed from pillow to post, tried countless anti depressants all which caused gastric symptoms and was prescribed more meds to treat the side effects. At one point I was on 5 different types of mediation for anxiety I believe was caused by hormone imbalance. Medication to supposedly help the anxiety and the other 4 to deal with the side effects of the anti depressants. It's ridiculous.

It seems like the medical world hasn't progressed much when it comes to diagnosing hormone issues and mental health. The only thing they're doing different is not putting us in asylums. The answer still seems to be anti depressants and in extreme cases anti psychotics. This route masks the symptoms and doesn't address the underlying issue.

dazned

« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2016, 07:26:40 PM »

Unfortunately as we all know from hearing all the different experiences on here no one hrt/ad fits allsizes ! Its not like finding the exact strain of infection then prescribing the correct anti biotic is it ?  :-\
These hormones are far too complex to be treated that simply. I have come to the conclusion that maybe it would be better to see an endocrinologist who specializes in female hormones than seeing a gynecologist.
Pages: 1 2 [3]