Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: to quit hrt or try femoston first  (Read 2220 times)

robotwars

to quit hrt or try femoston first
« on: May 16, 2016, 03:20:48 PM »

Hi! im on femseven sequi patches and I feel ok on them, apart from symptoms listed below! and I feel better during the progesterone patches than the oestrogen, but I went to my GP because I come on really heavy every month, have terrible period pains, my body aches, heavy feeling in the bottom of my stomach, needing to wee all the time, diarrhoea, nausea and upset stomachs, he said that I wasn't getting enough oestrogen and to change to femoston 2/10! Just a couple of questions do I start the femoston or do I have a break first and see how I feel, if I change to femoston when do I start it. The doctor said to just start the new packet now even though last Thursday I applied my 2nd femseven patch, its all very confusing, just don't want to make my upset stomachs feel any worse!!!

robotwars

Re: to quit hrt or try femoston first
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 03:23:16 PM »

forgot to say I also use estradiol cream...... so surely this is also topping up my estrogen

dahliagirl

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2016, 03:54:53 PM »

I wouldn't take a break - just follow on with the Femoston.  I would probably prefer to complete the cycle with the patch. (sorry - not familiar with the patches - presume that 2nd patch is like taking all the oestrogen pills in Femoston).

I take vagifem and it does not do much (if anything at all) for your general oestrogen levels as it only acts locally.

Milamam

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2016, 04:33:50 PM »

I would start Femoston without a break, too. You may find that the progesterone in Femostone suits you even better. I would complete the Femseven patch cycle though to avoid irregular bleeding when you do the swap. Good luck and keep posting how you do on the new regime.

Milamam

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2016, 07:55:48 PM »

Yes that's right. Finish the 4 week cycle so that you end with the last oestrogen/progestogen combi patch and then start the Femoston.

I presume your doc means that you are not getting enough progestogen? The heavy bleeding is usually caused by an imbalance of oestrogen to progesterone ( ie too little progesterone compared to oestrogen). However it is not actually necessary to change to a tablet.  This is just due to the limitations of combi HRT. An enlightened doc would suggest you take the oestrogen and progesterone separately so that you can increase the progesterone if necessary.

Therefore if the patches agree with you, you could still take oestrogen only patches (Femseven 50 )  listed here - scroll down: http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/treatafter.php and then take progesterone - either micronised progesterone (Utrogestan), or Provera - listed here: http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/to_progestogens.php .

Alternatively if the progestogen in the Femseven suits you why not go for a Mirena coil which contains the same progestogen - Levonorgestrel? This would stop the heavy bleeding and you could add in whatever oestrogen you like.

However as Milamam says the prog in Femoston is well tolerated by many women.

Whatever you decide I hope it works out OK and the bleeding becomes controlled.

Hurdity x