Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Anxiety and the effect of reading about the menopause  (Read 7117 times)

Dulciana

Anxiety and the effect of reading about the menopause
« on: May 13, 2016, 08:17:54 PM »

Just occasionally, if I visit the MM forum, the more meno-related thread titles I read, the more anxious I get, I have to shut down and I end up going somewhere else!   Daft, I know, as the site is such a haven for me on so many occasions.   It's happened just now - I've gone all panicky after just glancing through a load of titles and I can feel my heart beating faster.  I was about to close down again but then I wondered if anyone else experienced this, so I thought I'd post here.    (It's probably got a lot to do with the heightened sensitivity that seems to be a feature of meno years.   ::)  )
Dulciana

Dorothy

Re: Anxiety and the effect of reading about the menopause
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 08:23:18 PM »

No, it doesn't bother me, but I can understand how it might.  The only thing I find difficult sometimes is reading other people's posts about life being over or being 'past it' as it makes me feel the same way!!!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2016, 08:23:40 PM »

Yep.  Becusee I want to help instantly and make it 'all right'  ::).

Also, if GPs aren't being helpful it makes me really wild  :cuss: when I can't alter how good as useless some are  >:(

coldethyl

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2016, 09:50:40 PM »

I can become anxious if I read a thread that has triggering discussions in it, and I have been known not to open threads that look like they might set me off. It's about getting the balance between avoidance and not facing your fears, and knowing when and what you can't cope with.

Lizab

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2016, 03:53:07 AM »

When I'm having an anxious or low spell, it helps me to read the posts. I sometimes find myself checking the forum by habit, when I'm feeling very well.  These times it can make me a bit anxious as it puts my mind to the problems when I  was better off not thinking about it. I try to avoid checking the forum too often in the daytime. It doesn't seem to affect me at night when I'm relaxed.

Kathleen

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2016, 07:47:48 AM »

Hello Dulciana.

Yep, I can relate to this.

Sometimes I can cope with thinking about how the menopause affects our lives and other times I feel overwhelmed by it all. However knowing this site exists and that there are other women who understand how I feel is always such a comfort!

Wishing you well and take care.

K.

Clovie

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2016, 12:05:22 PM »

It only affects me if I read posts saying life is over, we are so old, things are only going to get worse type of thing.

That can really jolt me out of a good mood.
Makes me think I'm 'kidding myself' that things are OK.

Yes, I may well have my head in the sand and my fingers in my ears going 'blah blah blah - I'm not listening!' but at the moment I'm happy here avoiding any elephants in my room!  ;D

Anjia

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2016, 12:48:52 PM »

Really agree there Stella !

babyjane

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2016, 01:18:31 PM »

Thank you for posting this Dulciana.  I thought I was just being oversensitive.  Sometimes when I read of others experiences, especially with anxiety and medication I can find myself almost thinking myself into the same problems I am reading about when there wasn't a problem there before. Sometimes I have almost been on the verge of deleting my account because it was doing me no good at all and I couldn't leave it alone.

Other times I have benefitted from the wealth of knowledge and experience.  For example it is solely down to this forum that I found out about Vagifem.

Nowadays if I need to walk away I do just that as it is not compulsory to join in every day and sometimes I need a breathing space as like CLKD I always want to help 'fix' people and I can't.

Thank you for your post.

Milamam

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2016, 03:11:52 PM »

I am the opposite! Just when I feel anxious, down or sick/blown away, coming here calms me down ! I don't know why, just reading others similar woes reasures me that I am not the only one in the world who is right now so shaky ( sorry not fair but ...) and I do easily distract and calm down! Thank you, MM, for this!

Milamam

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2016, 03:17:22 PM »

It reminds me of when, in the 1990s and struck down with depression and anxiety, that I dreaded letters [remember those?] dropping onto the door mat - I would go into immediate panic becasue they would need a reply and I wasn't capable at that time  :-\ - I had 9 pen-pals in those days. 

Mojo61

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2016, 03:25:33 PM »

Yes, I can relate to this. I am the same with the news, in fact I've deleted the BBC news app from my iPad and I try to avoid the news on TV if I can.

Dulciana

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2016, 03:49:26 PM »

I'm amazed and reassured to read everyone's replies, so many of which describe what I do/feel.  Thank you.   :thankyou:      I certainly didn't want to rubbish MM with my post.  It's just that I've felt odd about my reactions to the site, sometimes, but now I know I'm not alone.   I wonder if it's a physical or a psychological thing.  Or both.....
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 05:51:40 PM by Dulciana »

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2016, 03:51:35 PM »

4 me it's physical.  I get a lurch in my gut and think 'I need to help/offer advice/share experiences' - if the person doesn't accept my suggests that's OK, I've done what needs to be done.

However, when I'm away from Wifi and we don't have connection, it doesn't 'get to me' that I can't log in  ::)

SadLynda

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2016, 04:33:04 PM »

I have not been here for a week or so, but only due to time restraints.  I am lucky that now I am a lot better (with the help of some great ladies on here), so I try to pop in to see if I can help anyone or share an experience.  I too get angry the most over useless GP's.
Pages: [1] 2