Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Alternatives to conti patches please?  (Read 3851 times)

Sooby

Alternatives to conti patches please?
« on: May 13, 2016, 02:50:29 PM »

Hi,

I have just had a review of my Evorel Sequi after 3 months of use and told my GP that the oestogen half of the pack is just fine but the two weeks of combined patches result in a gradual deterioration back to my old pre-treatment, perimeno self. He looked in his book and asked his colleagues if there was a higher dose patch to try but apparently and they concluded that there isnt. ??? Only a higher dose tablet but the fist tablets that I took didnt really agree with me. From reading your other threads it would seem that the synthetic progesterone can cause issues for some women and that a number of you use a gel  :-\

My GP is very open and supportive so I offered to see if I could find an alternative suggestion from you guys and give him a call back.

Any explanations, suggestions, advice or recomendations would be greatly appreciated,  ;)

Dancinggirl

Re: Alternatives to conti patches please?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 04:26:55 PM »

Sooby - what you are describing seems to be an over sensitivity to synthetic progesterone - unfortunately most progesterones will give some side effects and it's about finding the one that suits you best..  The HRT regime that might be better for you is Oestrogel plus Utrogestan (micronised progesterone).  If you still have a womb you do still need progesterone but Utrogestan can suit many women better and gives fewer side effects.  I would still do a sequential regime and perhaps start by using just one pump of Oestrogel daily (applied to inner thighs) with 200mg Utrogestan taken orally for 12 days each month. Many women use Utrogestan vaginally but this isn't actually licensed in the UK and can aggravate the bladder. I tend to feel really relaxed on the Utrogestan phase - I sleep really well!!!!
Have a look under TREATMENTS above and find the info on the Gel and Utrogestan - print it off for the GP to see. 
DG x

Keepgoing

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2016, 06:20:38 PM »

I agree with dancingirl I am on the gel and utro regime...first month on the utro nausea for about a week, second month not so bad and now my third month I feel fine so if you do go on it give it about 3 months to see how you feel on utro...the gel never had any problems with it.  Like you I had tablets first then patches but felt awful on them. Good luck xx

Trufflecat

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2016, 07:56:05 AM »

That was how I was on the patches too. The Utrogestan and oestrogel seems to be much better. My GP couldn't find Utrogestan though, it is also called micronised progesterone

Dancinggirl

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2016, 05:49:04 PM »

Sooby - do read my post to you again.  If you look under TREATMENTS above you will find Utrogestan (micronised progesterone) under the PROGESTERONE section.  It is usually taken orally but some women find they can use it vaginally with good success.  I must stress that all progesterones can bring some side effects but many of us find that Utrogestan is easier to tolerate.  DG x

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2016, 07:05:03 PM »

Sooby if you like the patches then no need to change to gel - it's the progestogen you want to change if this is the bit that causes you problems - as the others have already said. You can get Evorel patches on their own listed here: http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/treatafter.php \ and you can actually get a higher dose - 75 mcg if necessary. However in the first instance I would ask for Evorel 50 mcg patches (which is what you have been using for the first two weeks) and the utrogestan for the last 12 days of the cycle - and see how you get on.

Utrogestan comes as a smallish squashy capsule containing the progesterone in an oily suspension and as 100 mg doses. You will see from the treatments section thart the licensed dose for sequential HRT is 200 mg x 12 days. The doc should know this but you might have to print off stuff if s/he is not au fait with this regime. As Dancinggirl says some like taking it orally while others find too many side effects. As a nil-by-mouth HRT gal I have never taken it orally!

Hurdity x