Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: From Diazepam to ?  (Read 12732 times)

Sadie49

From Diazepam to ?
« on: May 13, 2016, 04:08:52 PM »

Hi ladies! 15 years ago my then GP prescribed 2mg Diazepam for the anxiety and mild panic attacks I began to experience. Over the years I have used them from little to often, depending on how I have felt and my life's circumstances. Menopause started aged 51 and is still claiming my quality of life 15 years later.

Now I have a new GP and she wants me off the meds! I know I can drop a few days mentally but after that I need one. I was put on Naproxen anti-inflammatory and Solpodol pain relief but have now been taken off the latter two, due to both raising BP.

I am using 1 tablespoon of Eden organic beetroot juice in water daily, and it has certainly brought my BP down to a decent number though.

My ask is: has any member moved relatively comfortably from Diazepam to something almost as effective for tension/anxiety? With arthritis in my spine as well as other joints, the muscles around it ache and burn after I have done anything using my arms - which is almost everything! But all good things and all that, so I would value your advice/thoughts on this please!

Love Sadie49. x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: From Diazepam to ?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 04:19:02 PM »

Valium can be used to relief muscle spasm as well as for anxiety 'as necessary'.  GPs however are scared to prescribe it but what is better, a patient who is in control most of the while or …………  :-X.

I take an anti-anxiety medication when panic attacks floor me, it begins with an "L" but meno-brain here can't remember  ::).  My GP has no problems prescribing as he knows that on the whole, I am sensible.

Rescue Remedy is sold in many forms; mouth spray, pastilles ………. and I found deep breathing relaxation helpful years++ ago.

What have you been prescribed for the spinal/referred pain?

Sadie49

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2016, 04:57:55 PM »

Hi. I take Zapain which is codeine/paracetamol mix. Lansoprazole to keep digestive tract calm and an aspirin each day. I def. eat well compared to pre-meno but my ageing body doesn't appreciate it! I have two daughters aged 39 and 44 and have told them to get all the help they can the moment things begin! I can honestly say I wouldn't go thru the past 15 years again for millions!

I thought to try Kava Kava but bad med. reviews put me off.

Thanks for your reply! x

Nell

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2016, 05:33:04 PM »

How often are you taking it? Depending on how often you take it you may need to stop gradually. Even taking it every three days can lead to a physical dependency as diazepam has a long half-life, so taking it every three days would mean there is always some in your body.
The guidelines now are to prescribe only for very short-term (2 weeks ) or very occasional use.
I thought I was OK as I wasn't taking it every day, but I wasn't OK at all!

Nell

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2016, 05:38:11 PM »

Sorry, I know that wasn't exactly what you were asking! But GPs can be a bit gung ho about getting people off it.

babyjane

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2016, 05:56:45 PM »

I take an anti-anxiety medication when panic attacks floor me, it begins with an "L" but meno-brain here can't remember  ::).

Lorazepam?

bramble

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2016, 06:08:07 PM »

Our surgery has a notice up to say they will not prescribe Diazepam and I think Lorazepam any more. I think the feeling now is to prescribe beta blockers or anti-depressants. Doctors are also very hot on suggesting therapies like CBT for anxiety.
Me - I am going down the counselling route to see if that helps. If not, I will be queuing up for medication.
Bramble

Sadie49

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2016, 06:38:23 PM »

2 weeks ago a "new" Facebook friend and I got to talking about our meds. routine and which ones we were happy/struggling with. She said to look on a certain person's page as he was selling quality Diazepam for little money.

I checked his page out and although I had reservations about him selling them (knowing they are prescription only) I ordered 25 10mg (to cut in half then quarters) for £25 incl. p & p. They never arrived!

5 messages later and the same by my new friend and the penny dropped - rather the pounds! It was a scam and he wasn't going to provide them.

Even now he is selling and folk are ordering although somebody has said not to as the guy doesn't supply.

Then I realised how dependant I had become on the little beggers! But, if I get a migraine and lose most of my vision, 1 tablet gets me back within 1/2 hour. If I use my arms cleaning windows or ironing for long periods (over an hour) I know Diazepam will ease the burning across my neck/shoulders.

If I have a lot of work done at the dentist or hospital I use them. They are worth their weight in gold to me and I will have a hard time letting them go, mentally!

Hoping to find a herbal supplement that will take the sting out of it but for now...I'm doing my best during a difficult, menopause period that has already made me feel old before my time!

Thanks for your input ladies! xxxx

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2016, 07:34:05 PM »

Valium certainly did not remain in my body for that long.  Otherwise people wouldn't become dependant !  I was taking 5mg x 3 Valiumfor a week in the 1990s then 5mg at night then as necessary.  Until it made me feel weird, twice - it got me through lots of 'difficult for me' events.

BBs help enormously.  If my Surgery ever told me that they were no longer prescribing it my anxiety levels would soar, I would be suicidal so I would change surgeries, I don't think that a Surgery can post such notices.  It is up to the GP/Patient discussion! 

BJ - that's probably it, the packet is in another room  ::)

Sadie - you can report this seller to the Police who will contact the web-site and get the ad. taken down ;-).

Nell

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2016, 08:04:18 PM »

Valium does have a long half-life (HL of it's metabolites is up to 100 hours) but that doesn't mean you'll feel the effects for anything like as long.
It can be so useful short-term, but can cause big problems long-term.
Sadie, a good GP should allow you to come off them slowly. Best practice now is to let the patient dictate the pace.
I can point you to some good websites re coming off benzos, but don't just google, there's a lot of scare-mongering. I managed to scare myself silly!

Sadie49

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2016, 08:06:40 PM »

CLKD what are you short forms saying? Sorry not familiar with them!

Believe it or not, FB said he wasn't doing anything wrong selling out of his own stock!! BUT I contacted my bank and they agreed it was money laundering for which they can involve the fraud squad. He will be caught and dealt with but not by FB.

Sadly, he is in a worse state than most of his buyers....very sad life.

Sadie49 x

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2016, 08:16:30 PM »

BBs- beta-blockas
ADs - Anti-depressants

FB ?  ::)

bramble

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2016, 08:46:23 PM »

Not sure if your primary use for diazepam is for your muscle pains or if it is for anxiety? If it is for muscle pains I am sure there are lots of other drugs that may help. Certainly for anxiety it is only recommended for use for a short term. As you have been using it for so long you will need to taper it down very gradually over a few months. How often do you take it? I had a very bad time about 6-7 years ago when I stopped it abruptly and I had to go back on and taper down slowly. I had only been using it for a couple of months.

Bramble

Nell

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2016, 08:47:20 PM »

I'm so new I don't think I can reply to PMs. But this is one useful website: http://www.recovery-road.org
Baylissa who runs it is lovely. I'll post some more...

Nell

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2016, 08:54:26 PM »

I was taking valium as and when I needed it, but too often. So I was unknowingly in and out of withdrawal. Hellish. Eventually the penny dropped and I luckily found a new GP who worked out a daily dose for me to stabilise on, and then reduce from there. I'm still on it though, just a lower dose.
Looking back I realise that the year a (very misguided) GP threw lots of valium at me was the year I became peri. Hard now to know which is which!
Pages: [1] 2 3