Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Feeling weird after starting BCP  (Read 4351 times)

lisa789

Feeling weird after starting BCP
« on: May 13, 2016, 11:15:38 AM »

So I'm 2 weeks in on continuous Microgynon which I was prescribed for peri and PMDD.

I'm 41 so the gynaecologist said she wanted me to try this before HRT. I'd seen doctors before at the NHS hospital and they gave me Evorel patches & norethisterone tablets. I couldn't tolerate the norethisterone tablets. Decided to go private and had internal/external ultrasound and everything ok. She recommended I try continuous BCP and if I'm ok on it stay on it for a few years before moving onto HRT if required.

I'm feeling very bloated and my stomach just feels weird, like it has a mass inside it or something! I'm getting sharp stabbing pains down there and feel exhausted and depressed. Is this normal when you first start BCP. I'm supposed to give it 3 months to see if it calms things down. I'm still feeling mentally unhinged! For the short time I was on Evorel 50 it calmed me down so much and the anxiety and panic reduced significantly. This doesn't seem to be happening with the pill.

Any advice gratefully received X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Feeling weird after starting BCP
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 02:34:25 PM »

If by the end of next week there is no relief for you, I would be back to the GP and ask for the HRT which helped!

Dorothy

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2016, 02:49:51 PM »

It can take a while to adjust, but if your symptoms persist, I'd either ask the GP for HRT or for a different BCP.  I was fortunate & got one that worked for me first time (Ovranette) but I've had friends who tried 2 or 3.

lisa789

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2016, 03:13:12 PM »

Thanks ladies.

CLKD if you read my post it was only the oestrogen patch that worked, when it came to taking the norethisterone tablets I couldn't tolerate them. When I went back to the hospital for my follow up I asked for Utrogestan which he'd never heard of. I then decided to go private. Had my bloods done and ultrasounds and as I'm 41 and still early peri the gynae doc I saw said she'd prefer to try me on BCP first. Like I say I'm only 2 weeks in and I was wondering if the bloating and stabbing pains were normal and something that may pass. I'm seeing the private doctor again at the beginning of June for a follow up so if I'm still the same I'll see what she recommends.

Thanks Dorothy I'll give it until my follow up appointment in June and if no change I'll ask for a change of pill X

peri

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2016, 03:35:06 PM »

Microgynon is notorious for causing depression, it's also one of the cheapest pills. You could swap for another bcp or try evorel with utrogestan, it's a combination that works well for lots of us on here x

lisa789

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2016, 03:37:54 PM »

Microgynon is notorious for causing depression, it's also one of the cheapest pills. You could swap for another bcp or try evorel with utrogestan, it's a combination that works well for lots of us on here x

Thank you peri. I'll ask for a change of pill when I go back in June if I'm no better X

dangermouse

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2016, 11:34:11 PM »

The pill has a stronger oestrogen than HRT so it initially can make symptoms more overwhelming for the first couple of weeks but then it takes better control of your own oestrogen and things start getting better. You may still notice your own hormone fluctuations in the background but they are much more controlled week by week.

Not sure about the stabbing pains so get them checked out if gets worse but may be constipation if you've bloated up.

I found the Levonorgestrel in Microgynon to be too mood numbing so maybe try a different one to that and Norethisterone as that didn't suit you either. Each type of pill can make you feel completely different to the next so it really is about trial and error. However, once your body has got used to the oestrogen and things have calmed down, then you can play around with the different pills to fine tune it to your needs.

It's best not to take any pill breaks either as this will allow your own hormones to take control again and then you'll need another week to get things calm again.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 11:44:14 PM by dangermouse »

lisa789

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2016, 09:28:01 AM »

Thank you Dangermouse you've put my mind at rest xx the stabbing pains feel similar to what I used to get when I ovulated. Maybe as you say it's still my hormones V the pill so things will settle

Hurdity

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2016, 07:13:07 PM »

The only time I have ever taken the Pill was in my 20's and it was Microgynon. I took if for some months (maybe a year) and felt absolutely terrible - especially moodwise - and never went back on the pill. I spent half the time in tears I seem to remember and experienced huge mood swings. We are talking about the mid 70's here so that shows how long it's been going.

I would definitely not want to be taking that as I headed towards peri.  As dangermouse says the oestrogen  is much stronger because it is synthetic. If you want to control your cycle then a much better BCP is Qlaira because the oestrogen is estradiol which is bio-identical to our own, although as with all tablets - Pills and HRT - the progestogen is synthetic. The dose of oestrogen varies through the month but there are only 2 tablet free days so the oestrogen dip is minimised. It is listed here: http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/contra2.php - third para down.

Hurdity x

lisa789

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2016, 09:01:14 PM »

Hi Hurdity the gynae has told me to take it continuously with no break. I have PMDD which has got worse as I've started peri so by taking this pill with no break means a consistent amount of hormones every day.

I'm feeling dreadful with bloating and pains in my lower abdomen. I don't know what to think or do. I was prescribed this by a gynaecologist I saw privately and my follow up isn't until 2nd week of June. I'm imagining I have a blood clot in my stomach, drama queen I know! If I'm like this on Monday I'll ring and get an earlier appointment.

Trufflecat

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2016, 09:03:21 AM »

Lisa, have you seen this? You might find it useful.

http://www.studd.co.uk/pms_various.php

lisa789

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2016, 10:50:29 AM »

Hi Trufflecat,

Yes I've read all his site after joining MM. He's on of few who fully understands how hormones work and effect us.

When I was under the NHS gynae they gave me a zoladex implant but no HRT. At that point I knew nothing about the treatment and hormones so didn't know I should've been given HRT. I was so ill, I was put into menopause cold turkey and honestly felt like topping myself. I cancelled the appointment for the second implant. When I went back I saw a different consultant and he gave me Evorel 50 patch and norethisterone tablets. I was fine with the patch but couldn't tolerate the progesterone tablets. At that point I decided to see a private consultant as when I emailed Dr Currie she advised the dosage of progesterone was way too high and my friend who is a GP agreed.

The private consultant wanted me to stop all hormones so they could do my bloods to get hormone counts and I had a smear and internal/external ultrasounds. Everything came back okay and she diagnosed peri & PMDD and said she wanted me to try the pill continuous so my hormones are overridden and I have a continuous amount of level hormones. So that's how I ended up on the Microgynon. Feeling better than I did yesterday. I think it might be the bloating and swelling that's causing the pain in my lower abdomen. I've emailed the consultant so hopefully I'll hear back from her.

Thank you all so much for your input as I've been freaking out so much over the last couple days and coming on here and reading your responses and other people's experiences helps a great deal xx

Briony

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2016, 03:51:31 PM »

I agree with what the others have said about trial and error. I have had good results from Femodene and Qlaira but had a horrible time with Marvelon - the pill so many of my 40-something friends take happily (including my GP!). I did have initial side effects with all the pills I have taken, but Marvelon was the only one that I really couldnt tolerate. I just 'knew' it wasnt for me after only three weeks! After three months on all the others, I have felt as near to normal as possible. Unless a pill is simply intolerable, I really think you need to give it several months before you make a decision. It needs time to settle.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 03:53:06 PM by Briony »

lisa789

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2016, 04:14:04 PM »

I agree with what the others have said about trial and error. I have had good results from Femodene and Qlaira but had a horrible time with Marvelon - the pill so many of my 40-something friends take happily (including my GP!). I did have initial side effects with all the pills I have taken, but Marvelon was the only one that I really couldnt tolerate. I just 'knew' it wasnt for me after only three weeks! After three months on all the others, I have felt as near to normal as possible. Unless a pill is simply intolerable, I really think you need to give it several months before you make a decision. It needs time to settle.

Thank you xx

I've decided to carry on taking it until my appointment in June. Looking at my diary the last few days have been when I would have ovulated so I think it might be my body versus the synthetic hormones that's causing the unpleasant feelings