Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: New and confused!  (Read 2084 times)

mmp1961

New and confused!
« on: May 11, 2016, 02:11:37 PM »

Hi
Have never used a forum before so apologies if I do stuff wrong!
I'm 54 and have just had my mirena coil removed. It was my 3rd one and had been in for just over six years as my doctor said it would help with any menopausal symptoms!  I had a blood test to check whether I had started. I haven't had a period since before my daughter was conceived - she's now nearly 19 - so it's a bit of a shocker having cramps etc. I don't want HRT as my mum had breast cancer and I really want to avoid any medication.  Apart from the usual hot flushes, crabbiness, no interest in sex, I've also started to feel dizzy and having skipped heart beats which makes me really anxious. I'm assuming all this is "normal". Would love to hear from other women to compare notes.
Thanks

dazned

Re: New and confused!
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2016, 02:29:14 PM »

Hello and  :welcomemm:

It all sounds like most of the stuff we have suffered  so your not alone anymore.

Have a look around and ask away  ;)

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2016, 02:30:35 PM »

Hi and welcome to MM - sounds very normal meno symptoms to me.  Do read up all the info on this site to get clued up.  It's good to look at diet, exercise and general lifestyle as a starting point and if you can't have HRt there are non hormonal options to consider - discuss this with your GP.  Also don't forget relaxation - this is very, very important - so be kind to yourself. Keep posting.  DG x

mmp1961

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2016, 02:55:31 PM »

Thanks for your kind replies. Sadly I lost my mum 2 years ago - she was such a knowledgeable lady - in fact I trusted her more than my gp (she was a pharmacist). Deep down I know that it's just normal symptoms but when you're in mid anxiety attack it feels really overwhelming.  Should be grateful we have access to this forum to vent/share x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2016, 03:42:34 PM »

:welcomemm:

What type of breast disease did your Mum suffer from and did she die from it?  It really does depend as to whether HRT is offered.  Quality of Life is what most of us aim for ……

Browse round.  Make notes!  Ask away …...

mmp1961

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2016, 04:07:10 PM »

It was back in 1975 - she was just 40 - she had a mastectomy then radiation treatment which induced her menopause. Much later in her mid 70s she had uterine cancer then she died in her early 80s following an excruciating 6 month battle with bone cancer (the result of metastasis from her breast cancer according to her oncologist).  All in all not at all keen on HRT - I know it works wonders for many women but I'm just too nervous. Would much prefer more natural remedies.     

dazned

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2016, 04:52:42 PM »

You need to do what you are comfortable doing,as Dancing girl says look at life style,diet etc make sure your vitamin levels are good eg vit d . ;)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2016, 05:53:36 PM »

Thanks for the explanation.  Gentle exercise. Yoga.  Singing. 'me' time.  All important!

Hurdity

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2016, 07:38:28 PM »

Hi mmp1961

:welcomemm: from me too. So sorry to hear about your mum - sounds like she had a really rough time healthwise in later life. I can totally understand you nervousness re HRT in the circumstances - even if it is not necessarily contra-indicated.

I agree with the others re lifestyle and diet - if you need to make any changes then now is the time to do it - also exercise, body weight, caffeine, alcohol, smoking. Any changes in these areas will help you deal with menopausal symptoms. Also CBT apparently is helpful for women with breast cancer - in terms of coping with hot flushes - although it doesn't minimise their severity.
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/diet.php
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/weightgain.php

Unfortunately most of the herbal remedies don't really work and some are not advised long term but there are prescribable treatments that aren't HRT if your flushes and sweats become unbearable. They are listed here:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/prescribed.php

You should definitely consider local oestrogen if you start to have bladder symptoms - and this is not contra-indicated at all even for women who have had breast cancer as it is so localised:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/dryness.php

Hope this helps :)

Hurdity x