Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: How Useful Is Hormone Level Testing?  (Read 2200 times)

Tempest

How Useful Is Hormone Level Testing?
« on: May 11, 2016, 08:54:43 PM »

I was just wondering how useful this is, or if symptoms are more indicative and helpful. As some of you may know, I am just over a year post TAH/BSO and only started HRT just over a month ago (Estrogel 2 pumps). Hubby asked me today if 'someone should be actually testing your hormone levels'. Top marks him for taking part!😊 I didn't know the answer to this, so I though I would ask here. Should they? I have never had my levels checked. I am not due at my follow up with the menopause clinic for another 2 months, so if appropriate, could I ask my GP to do this? (BTW, my GP practice is notorious for giving a lukewarm response to anything menopause related - grrrr)!

Thank you!

skkb

Re: How Useful Is Hormone Level Testing?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2016, 06:33:55 AM »

I've NEVER been asked or told anything about hormone levels being checked or what they should be, either at my doctors surgery or the meno clinic....!!

Dana

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2016, 07:22:10 AM »

Blood tests for hormones are pretty unreliable (saliva tests are even less reliable) because hormone levels can fluctuate so much, especially in the earlier stages of meno. Most doctors prefer to go by symptoms, which is why you probably haven't had any offered to you. I had one blood test done back in 2010 when my symptoms first started and I've never had any since, so I wouldn't have a clue what my levels were then or now. When ever I did ask my doctor about it she would always say "what are they doing to tell us that we don't already know?". She's right. What I do know is that the HRT I'm on is keeping all my symptoms at bay, and that's all I care about.

I've always suspected that all the test did was tell my doctor that my levels were so low that I was probably already post-meno, even though I hadn't gone for 12 months without a period, because she put me on to a continuous HRT straight away (the type they normally only give to post-meno women). I didn't end up staying on that HRT though. My meno journey has been full of ups and a lot of downs - as with a lot of women.

Full marks to your hubby for being involved enough to make suggestions, but in all honesty symptoms are really the only thing to go on. See how you go with 2 pumps of the gel over the next month or two. The advantage with the gel is that you can always add a pinch if you feel you need it.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 07:25:50 AM by Dana »

Dyan

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2016, 01:51:23 PM »

Know what you mean Stellajane, my mirena is coming to the end of its life and I have symptoms of low progesterone, low mood,anxiety, cramps, breast pain, no sense of well being at all.
I will be having a new one once my urine infection clears up.

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2016, 04:10:09 PM »

I agree it's best to go on symptoms.

However I seem to remember Dr Currie saying somewhere ( really can't remember where), that apart from when premature/early menopause is suspected, the only other time they are useful is for women who have had total hysterectomy and BSO and don't seem to be achieving symptom control with high doses of oestrogen eg through implants. Sometimes tachypylaxis can occur when extremely large doses lead to levels of oestrogen way above the maximum physiological levels obtained during the cycle - such that it ceases to have an effect.

Studd refers to this phenomenon on his website:

Tachyphylaxis

Too frequent implantation or too high doses of oestrogen leads to supra-physiological oestradiol levels and the recurrence of symptoms even at these high levels.(4) It is not easy to treat and it must be said that the secret is to avoid it happening by using the correct dose of hormones in the first place. The normal range of plasma oestradiol during the ovarian cycle is between 100-1500 pmol/l but plasma oestradiol levels greatly exceeding these values can be found in patients with tachyphylaxis.

http://www.studd.co.uk/implants.php

However if you increase slowly and wait a few weeks before possibly increasing again this should not happen to you - so if after 4 weeks or something your symptoms have not abated, then time for another pump.

How are you feeling generally on what you are taking?

Dyan it is unlikely to be low progesterone causing those symptoms! Are you taking oestrogen too?

Hurdity x

Tempest

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2016, 04:21:03 PM »

Thank you, Hurdity! Tbh, I'm really struggling. I have posted about it in the Estrogel support group. I kinda feel like I'm in peri again, just like before my surgery! Apart from an improvement in joint pain and flushes, I feel like I've actually gone backwards! Also experiencing anxiety even at times when I'm doing things I enjoy and my mind is otherwise occupied. It doesn't sneak up on me - it literally leaps out of nowhere and gets me in a strangle hold! Haven't had this since peri either!😮