Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Anxiety and adrenaline surges  (Read 6105 times)

Errol

Anxiety and adrenaline surges
« on: May 10, 2016, 02:16:29 AM »

Help!

I've been on HRT for about 18 mths; Premique low dose for a year then a constant try out of  climageste, Elise low dose, elise higher dose and now Angelique. I'm in week 3 of second month Angelique and for about a week I've had anxiety and adrenaline rushing through me at bizarre and unexplained times. And a dry mouth off the scale.  Any ideas? All the doctor gave me was beta blockers.  I'm posting this in middle of night as I've been buzzing since getting into bed at 11.

Errol

Dancinggirl

Re: Anxiety and adrenaline surges
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 09:10:16 AM »

Hi Errol and welcome to MM
Do read up all the info on this site to get really clued up.  It is a matter of trial and error with HRT.
It sounds as though you are post menopause - when was your last natural period? You seem to be trying continuous HRT types which are for ladies who are post meno but it is often a good idea to start on a sequential HRt - which will result in a withdrawal bleed each month - as this gives you a couple of weeks each month on oestrogen alone, then, when the progesterone is added in, you can determine if the progesterone in that particular HRT suits you.
I would suggest you try Femoston 1/10 sequi as the progesterone in this one is kinder. If you find you feel good on the progesterone in Femoston you can then switch to the conti version which would be bleed free after the first few weeks.  DG x

Vanessa1

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 09:34:49 AM »

Hi Errol,

Totally agree with Dancing Girl ... I am 48 and post meno (I think) but was not getting on with continuous combined HRT.  I was on Angelique for 6 months, but had quite a few side effects, then I changed to FemSeven Conti patches;  was only on them for 3 weeks before I had to rip one off as I had a blinding migraine!  Now I'm on Day 4 of Femoston Sequi 1/10 which a lot of the ladies are well suited to on here.  Like Dancing Girl said you might be better off trying a sequi HRT first to see if the progesterone suits you then change to a conti HRT.  Not sure if this helps;  it's all very confusing and I'm new to it all too :-(

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2016, 02:11:12 PM »

Use the BetaBlockas! they calm down surges which lessens the anxiety.  Cortisol levels in the early morning apparently can influence adrenaline too.

For me it feels like hot water racing through my veins  :-\.  I have learnt to sit still until it passes.  Now that I know what it is I am not as scared by the feelings.

I take BBs 20mg night and morning plus have an emergency drug for when the anxiety floors me.

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2016, 06:38:28 PM »

Hi Errol

I would not take the beta blockers! (CLKD you are a special case!). If the anxiety and surges are to do with the HRT either working or not working it's best to get this right first. BB's lower the blood pressure and I would not take them if there was nothing wrong with my heart!! It's typical docs to reach for more medication to treat something that might be due to the medication!

I agree with Dancinggirl and Vanessa1. It may well be the progestogen causing your problems or possibly oral HRT. I would go for cyclical as they suggest and transdermal ( ie patch or gel) oestrogen. Have you had any bleeding with any of these?

Hurdity x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2016, 07:59:48 PM »

I know I'm Special  :wub:  but BBs can be used along side HRT .  Easing the symptoms is the important issue, not necessarily why they happen.  Once calm has been achieved, then the BBs can be withdrawn ……….

Cazikins

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2016, 10:27:18 PM »

I have taken BB's since 2010 alongside HRT since 2007.
The BB's are for hand tremors & it is only a low dose but they also help with the odd panic attacks I get.
As CLKD has said "easing the symptoms is important" - we are all different Errol & I can only offer you my own personal experience.

Errol

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2016, 07:11:46 AM »

Thank you all for replying. The situ has worsened since I posted and I'm having strong anxiety and crushing tight stomach pains almost constantly unless I take BBs. I'm taking them 3+ times a day which I'm not happy about.

I think I'm going to stop the HRT tonight (near end of week 3). What would happen if I restarted one of the other HRT ive still got??

In answer to questions I am about 3 years post last period, I'm 56, and have been on low dose combined most of the time. Premique was great, others not so but I've not had anxiety like this before.

kpatton56

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2016, 08:25:27 AM »

Errol rye the BB, maybe a slow release version which you take once a day would suit you? I take it for essential tremor. Might be worth asking your dr. K 😀

dangermouse

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2016, 09:23:01 AM »

Why not switch to the Premique if you liked it, just take it when next dose due, no need to wait. It may just take a few days for the different formula to kick in and the old one to wear down. Why did you stop it before?

Dancinggirl

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2016, 12:36:06 PM »

Errol - I would take a complete break from HRT for 4-8 weeks to really see how you feel. The benefits of HRT really have to outweigh any side effects and once we get to our late 50s I actually think our bodies can start to reject the extra hormones and sometimes a lower dose can be better.  It is about finding the right balance and you may just need a very low dose.  Have your tried the Femoston ultra low dose? Femoston has a kinder progesterone so could work better for you.  Dg x

Hurdity

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2016, 04:01:03 PM »

The general view is - if something is working for you, don't change it - ie in your case go back to the Premqiue - as dangermouse says. If you want to continue with HRT post-60 then it would definitely be good to change type but not yet?

I stand by what I said - you should not be taking the beta-blockers for symptoms brought about hormonal changes when getting the right balance of hormones would eliminate them.

Failing being able to re-start Premique, I would still try to change to a sequential HRT before deciding which continuous combined HRT to go with - so that you can get the right dose of oestrogen to suit you and see if the progestogen suits you - and see if you can try to control your anxiety by other methods than medications ie the BBs,  for the time being!

Hurdity x