Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Update and Question.  (Read 3368 times)

Kathleen

Update and Question.
« on: May 23, 2016, 11:33:18 AM »

Hello ladies.

Would you believe it, one GP told me Oestrogel was not available on the NHS but a week later and another GP has happily prescribed it! Yay.

I have just collected the gel and Utrogestan and the label says ' 750 microgram per actuation '. Does this mean that each dose/pump delivers 75mg of oestrogen? The patch I was using was 50 mg so am I now increasing my oestrogen levels? I am supposed to use two pumps per day which would mean an even bigger increase!

My other thought is that the Utrogestan is 100mg per tablet so is the higher gel dose actually necessary in order to offset the progesterone?

Perhaps there are different gels and each one supplies a different amount in each pump?

I would love to hear your thoughts ladies as although I am pleased to get my grubby little mits on the gel I am now also confused as well!

Wishing everyone well and take care.

K.

Kathleen

Re: Update and Question.
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 01:14:42 PM »

Hello Stellajane.

Thank you so much for your reply. You've explained it very well and sorry if I was being thick lol!

I will  approach this new regime with more confidence thanks to you.

Wishing you well and take care.

K.

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 02:32:23 PM »

Hi Kathleen - you may well get some bleeding possibly when you change and also some sort of progesterone withdrawal effects because even though you are taking progesterone all the time you are changing to a different type so may experience some reaction. Also you will likely notice the change from patch to gel because of the way your body absorbs the oestrogen - which is individual.

Did you say you had cut down to half a patch recently or not? If so I would actually start with 1 pump of gel until your body gets used to it. You are changing two things at once - rather than just one eg the progesterone - so you will need to be patient and ride out any initial confusion that your body might experience! Hope it goes well anyway and it sorts out your issues :)

Hurdity x

clare663

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 02:49:03 PM »

I had a Doctors appt this morning. I told her of the side effects I was getting on the Evorel conti patch and said I had joined this forum. She said that although she doesnt usually like patients using the internet to self diagnose, she was actually really glad that I had taken it on myself to research. I suggested that I would like to carry on with the patches for a little longer as the initial side effects have gone and I feel abit more on an even keel, but if the headaches continue, could I try the gels. Her reply was ' we as a practice have group meetings and discuss HRT and have all decided that the gels are not as good as the patches because of the obsorption.' She then obviously remembered that as a patient it was my choice on what I wanted to do, so after a while she just said 'what would you like me to prescribe?' At least I know the gel will be available to me if I wish to change in the next 2-3 months!!!

Kathleen

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 04:36:43 PM »

Hello ladies.

Hurdity -  thank you for your comments which are insightful as ever! I started cutting a corner off my 50 mcg patch about six months ago so I will take your advice and begin with one pump of gel initially. I'll also be on the lookout for other changes.

clare663 - yep, gel is available on the NHS, something I learned from this site and although the first GP I spoke to had never heard if it, the second one was well informed. She was lovely and about 30 and I wondered if she had witnessed her mother's menopause.

Thank you again ladies and take care.

K.

Tempest

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2016, 08:48:04 PM »

Glad you got sorted, Kathleen!

I am enraged that GP's know so little about HRT choices. My old GP said it was tablets or bust! Said she didn't know enough about any other other type of HRT. Just one of the reasons why I changed practice, but even at my new one I had to self refer to a menopause clinic. Mind you, this woman GP (who is pre menopause, but will probably be hitting peri in a few short years I should think), said that I should be able to get through surgical menopause by eating tofu! Boy, is she in for a nice surprise.......I hope!  :o

Nanadotty

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2016, 11:35:30 AM »

Hi Kathleen, it makes all the difference when you find a doctor who listens to you. I remember a few years ago when I first started with all my menopause malarkey I ask the Receptionist if I could have an appointment with a female doctor who was over 45, luckily for me she understood what I meant. I've never look back, a new female doctor, she's helped me though this very testing period of our lives. I'm two years with a period now and I thought that was it and there was nothing I could do about my night sweats, aches and pains and the rest. The dryness down below was just too unbearable so three weeks ago I back to see her, she prescribed me some estriol cream and told me I could take HRT. She could hear in my voice I was conserned about taking it so she sent me away and told me to come to this site and have a good read about everything. Well, it took me all of twenty minutes to realise I need HRT. I'm into my second week now but I'm getting some quite bad head pain but I'm hoping this all subside because it seems to be working on all my other problems.
I think every surgery should have an experienced female gp who is well informed. Pleased your getting sorted.

Kathleen

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2016, 04:06:52 PM »

Hello Tempest and Nanadotty.

Thank you for your comments ladies.

I've just started the gel and Utrogestan ( orally) and feeling good so far but obviously keeping everything crossed.

It would be great if all GPs were better informed about the menopause and the various treatments, goodness knows there's plenty of information out there!

Tempest - Yep your doctor could have a rude awakening  and discover that there simply isn't enough tofu in the world lol!

Take care ladies.

K.