Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Anaesthesia and hrt  (Read 5121 times)

linz57

Anaesthesia and hrt
« on: May 07, 2016, 09:50:49 AM »

Does anyone know how long I should leave off my hrt patch before I have a general anaesthetic? I did ask the doctor but she said I could discuss it when I had my pre procedure assessment. The trouble with that is , it could mean delaying things for longer if I go along and then get told I need to leave it off for three weeks beforehand. I would rather know now then if a cancellation comes along I can go for it.

Tinkerbell

Re: Anaesthesia and hrt
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2016, 12:05:57 PM »

Is it a long op? I think the advice to stop HRT is for major long operations where you may not be mobile for a while.

linz57

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2016, 12:15:22 PM »

It's only a 30 minute procedure rather than an operation Tinkerbell, Maybe I should try ringing the hospital on Monday morning, see what they have to say. I hope you're right ,  I don't mind leaving off stuff for a week but any longer and I'll be suffering.

Tinkerbell

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2016, 01:11:57 PM »

Yes ring them, you don't want to stop your HRT if you don't have to.

If it is the Hystercopy, I was told it was under a light anaesthetic, not sure what is different though! In which case they will probably have you up and about fairly quickly.

wombat62

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2016, 10:29:00 PM »

Hi there

I've just had an op with full anaesthetic and the referring surgeon said it was ok to stay on it, I'm on the lowest patch. I did cut the patch in half for the two weeks before and 3 weeks afterwards to help though.

It depends on how long you'll be under and immobilisation. If it's an hour or so and you'll be up and about soon after then they wouldn't worry so much. They gave me a blood thining jab after the op anyway.

However, best to check as different as different anaesthetists may have their own policies.

Ju Ju

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2016, 06:55:12 AM »

I've had 2 ops, since starting HRT and no one suggested that I need to stop. In fact, before my hysterectomy, I was told it would help with healing.

linz57

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2016, 11:37:38 AM »

Well now I'm totally confused! The gynae I saw after my scan appointment was no help re my query, the nurse at my pre op assessment said she didn't know the answer, the consultants secretary is more elusive than Lord Lucan and so now Ive just spoken to a doctor at my regular surgery ( not my own doc though). He was the prophet of doom, said I was obviously being investigated for cancer and therefore shouldn't even be on hrt anyway. Ye gods!! >:(

dazned

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2016, 03:51:36 PM »

My friend has had numerous spinal ops and has always been told to stop her hrt a month before surgery,however when I was admitted emergency obviously there wasn't time ! I think if you are likly to be immobilized for any length of time I personally would stop however as long as they are aware you are on hrt they can act according.

Taz2

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2016, 04:02:00 PM »

I had to stop mine a month before my hyster but this is because of the risk caused by being immobile for a while after surgery and not from the anaesthetic.

Taz x

linz57

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2016, 04:07:03 PM »

Thanks ladies, yes I would have thought leaving off would apply more to invasive operations rather than 20 to 30 minute procedures . I just wish it was easier though to get a straightforward answer from the hospital, I tried to discuss everything on Monday at my assessment but the nurse couldn't give me an answer. I think I might cut the patch down and try and get by in just Vagifem for the next two weeks. Wish me luck as I don't want to end up feeling like I'm sitting on razor blades again....

Hurdity

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2016, 06:57:54 PM »

He was the prophet of doom, said I was obviously being investigated for cancer and therefore shouldn't even be on hrt anyway. Ye gods!! >:(

That is totally appalling! I had a similar sort of response from one of my female GPs (they job share) - I was having abdominal pains and she told me that HRT caused ( yes - she said "caused" ovarian cancer  - and it can only turn nasty being on HRT at my age ( I was probably 61 or 62 at the time) and as she sent me for a blood tests said -  "let's hope it hasn't already". needless to say I haven't been back to that doctor and make a point of going to the other one - who is really nice!

I am sure you don't need to stop HRT - I wouldn't even ask as it is not an operation just a very minor and short investigation. I mean having a GA isn't really necessary as the procedure is so quick (but I know some women choose to have them and some medics prefer to do the procedure using them).

I really wouldn't worry - just carry on with the patch until told otherwise - if at all!!

Hurdity x

linz57

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2016, 07:10:39 PM »

It's totally unacceptable isn't it Hurdity? We're already feeling more than a bit vulnerable when awaiting procedures and then results without having some Neanderthal plodding in. Needless to say I will be changing surgeries again once I've got this out of the way. Cheers for the advice!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 07:12:26 PM by linz57 »