Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Had enough of HRT!!  (Read 9102 times)

babyjane

Re: Had enough of HRT!!
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2016, 11:29:38 AM »

It doesn't always happen.  My weight went up at the start of perimenopause then it dropped again.  A couple of years ago it went down again and stayed there.  I have never had a belly, always been pear shaped and still have a small waist.  I have never taken HRT.  There are exceptions to every rule.  A weight problem is not an inevitable feature of the menopause.

Oh yes, and I have not reduced my food intake either  :)

Lizab

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2016, 03:35:26 PM »

I think for some it's not a little weight gain but a lot to go from 8 to 12 in 3 - 6 months is difficult on top of menopause symptoms

I didn't mean to invalidate the complaint by saying "little". I'm not enjoying the need for all new clothes at all. I don't like it. But for me, my size complaint is little in comparison to my mental state without hrt.

Kate50

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2016, 04:58:08 AM »

I have used alternative therapies most of my adult life and there are lots out there to help.  Even homeopathy has extracts of hormones but it wasn't enough for me especially the oestrogen.  I still use them though and acupuncture.  My blood pressure was dropping very low which is one of the reasons I finally went on hrt. I put on a stone in weight but I needed to.  Don't want to put on anymore though!

Dana

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2016, 05:53:57 AM »

I think for some it's not a little weight gain but a lot to go from 8 to 12 in 3 - 6 months is difficult on top of menopause symptoms

I gained about 20kg since 2010. I also thought it was impossible for me to lose the weight again. I tried constantly and made all the excuses everyone makes about metabolism, menopause, HRT etc being the problem, but I've proven it's possible to lose the weight again. I've lost 7kg since just before Christmas, and hope to lose at least another 7-10kg before the end of the year. It is possible. You just have to find the weight loss and exercise routine that suits you. For me it's Weight Watchers.

Hurdity

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2016, 07:38:58 PM »

I agree with Dana about the weight loss - unless you have an undiagnosed thyroid problem it should be possible! By the way well done Dana! I've lost about 8 pounds (was 10!) since last September but I'm only 5'1 and only a few pounds overweight.

Metabolism tends to slow as we age (decreasing testosterone, and reducing thyroid function are partly responsible) and also if we become less active our muscles decrease - reducing metabolism further. Fat distribution also changes as we lose oestrogen and become more testosterone dominant ( even though this too is decreasing).

If you carry on eating at the same rate you will put on weight so the first thing is to reduce portion size, secondly change the balance of what you eat and thirdly increase exercise to include some muscle exercises ie body conditioning. This has worked for me but I am now on a permanent "diet" of sorts. I know how to lose weight and keep it off now.

As Dana says you have to find what suits you. For me it had to be drastic. I cut out sugar ( mostly), reduced fruit and juice, reduced carbs (as in bread cereal patsa spuds, biscuits etc) drastically to only once a day at most, increased low fat protein, nuts and veg. Had lots of soup ( home made) and eggs, and nuts, do exercise classes. It goes without saying that most food is prepared fresh from fresh ingredients so no hidden nasties! Now finally around 8 st 11-12 - which is about where I should be for frame size, age and height.

I still have treats though ( especially now I have lost the weight) including G&T's wine, dark chocolate, and even cake - but only in small quantities and not every day!

Babyjane - I think if I remember correctly you are on thyroid medication which will mean if your TSH/thyroid levels are controlled your metabolism will be more stable so this could explain your weight staying the same without eating less? I know from my blood tests that my thyroid function has reduced over the years - my doc showed me the graph, even though it is not in the treatable range - so without doing anything different re exercise and food - I will put on weight - which is exactly what I've noticed - but probably not to do with menopause as such?

Hurdity x

PS Some progestogens cause permanent bloating which adds to weight gain - worse on conti HRT.

Dana

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2016, 05:34:19 AM »

I agree with Dana about the weight loss - unless you have an undiagnosed thyroid problem it should be possible! By the way well done Dana! I've lost about 8 pounds (was 10!) since last September but I'm only 5'1 and only a few pounds overweight.

Thanks Hurdity. Well done to you too!

My weight loss has slowed a lot and I haven't really lost very much in the last month, which is the most frustrating part of trying to lose weight as you get older. It takes that much longer to lose it, but I'm not giving up. My mother had type 2 diabetes so I definitely don't want to add to my risk factor by being overweight.
Pages: 1 [2]