Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: hayfever  (Read 5762 times)

walking the dog

hayfever
« on: May 09, 2016, 02:09:54 PM »

Never suffered from it in my life but today my eyes are stinging streaming and generally awful, went to pharmacy who said hay fever and sold me some drops and antihistamine tablets.
Anyone else developed this in peri menopause?

dahliagirl

Re: hayfever
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2016, 02:27:57 PM »

Mine is worse.

However, the silver birch trees (the main source) in my garden have grown bigger too.  So only to be expected, I suppose.  ;D

Ju Ju

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2016, 06:29:54 PM »

You have my sympathy! I'm lucky that my allergies have taken a backseat post menopausal. As a child and as a young adult it was horrid. For the first time this year, I walked past a rapeseed field and thought what a nice smell, instead of using hankies and inhaler for asthma, while coughing ,spluttering and streaming. Sadly my little grandson has taken up where I left off.

Ju Ju

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2016, 09:31:59 PM »

I had always associated the smell with feeling rough. I don't know if I really like it, but that was my reaction before I realised what the smell was. Am I prejudiced about smells?  ::)

I used to have everything from a very early age, asthma, hayfever, eczema and migraine, so I think I deserve a break! Menopause has given me that gift, but the asthma persists and has to be managed very carefully with any respiratory infection these days, otherwise I'm in trouble.

Lizab

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2016, 03:16:11 PM »

I had them terribly as a child and they disappeared with puberty. I had a little blip with them for a year or two after my first pregnancy then nothing. I never thought about hormones affecting allergies too, but maybe it does. I shouldn't be surprised that I've had a terrible time with them this spring.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2016, 04:28:10 PM »

Willow pollen and oil seed rape sets me off, I have allergic rhinitis year round but the former make my chest tight.

Since we decided to deep clean the bedroom including the mattress, my snuffles have improved. 

babyjane

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2016, 06:09:15 PM »

I'm always sniffling and snuffling and have a permanent redness to my nose from wiping. 

elliebean

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2016, 10:59:28 AM »

I really sympathise. Hay fever can make you feel miserable.

I had never suffered with hay fever until my early 40s and then suddenly I was cutting the grass one day and my eyes started itching and then went really red, swollen and jellified. I've had hay fever every year ever since to varying degrees, but I'd never made a hormonal connection. Funnily enough, last year I thought it was improving a bit, but then last week it started and it's worse than ever! Although I sneeze and get an itchy nose it's my eyes that are most affected. They've been constantly streaming, itchy and swollen all week, despite using allergy eye drops four times a day.

babyjane

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2016, 01:41:16 PM »

I have found Clarityn (Loratadine) works well for me and it is also ok for my husband who has to be careful due to a liver issue.