Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: The Bank of Mum & Dad  (Read 11336 times)

Stellajane

The Bank of Mum & Dad
« on: May 08, 2016, 03:55:17 PM »

Is anyone else getting as fed up as I am with this being talked up so much?

Wealthy parents have always helped their offspring out, but the average Joe never did.

How on earth can a couple on even a modest income hope to provide deposits for two or more kids AND save for their own retirements? Its unrealistic and an unfair pressure on parents who can start to believe they're not doing the best for their children. It can also bring out the worst in some (selfish) young adults when they see some of their peers being given these handouts.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: The Bank of Mum & Dad
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2016, 03:58:50 PM »

Life is never going to be 'fair'.  When I wanted a horse, I was 8 - it was pointed out that my friend lived on a farm which is why she had a pony - we had a small patch of grass.  Once explained I accepted the situation.  I got to ride her horse occasionally  ::).

It's how kids are raised.  My late In-laws were supposed to top up the Grants but they had no spare money so I supplemented my husband's by working and saving.  We've tried to live within our means, apart from the mortgage and once having a loan to buy a car: I can't remember why  :-\ : we've paid our way.  Saving up was half the fun!

However, for wealthier parents giving the money now can save on whatever the Inheritance Tax Law will be ……… as long as that too is explained to the kids: it's now or perhaps not at all if parents go on the cruise, have to pay for nursing care etc..

Joyce

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2016, 06:02:36 PM »

Our two were encouraged to get jobs when they were old enough, gave them some independence. Both then knew value of money & saved what they could. Daughter & SIL have saved a decent amount for a house deposit, just can't find the right house. Son & fiance have their house & saving to pay for their wedding.

There have been times when they've each needed help, but have paid back in double quick time.

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2016, 06:18:03 PM »

My son has never asked me for a penny. We bought him his first car which was a cheap runaround for about £200 and we paid for his driving lessons and test (week intensive course and he passed first time).  This was for his 17th birthday and Xmas, as he's a winter born.

He did a paper round since he was 13, worked in a laundry and then a prawn factory when he was older in summer holidays and used to fix computers for people and get paid when he was at college.

He put himself through Uni and has a degree in Electronics and another in Computer Science and never asked us for anything.

I have friends who give their kids huge deposits for houses or help out with their mortgage and give free childcare and then leave themselves short which I think is madness.

When we got married my hubby and I had very little and got no help from our families.  Mine because they had no money to give and his because although they were well off, believed that once you left home you were on your own. 

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2016, 08:44:58 PM »

'leave themselves short' - for what exactly  :-\.  Himself and I don't spend a lot as we are lucky to have walks/cycle routes; library access; museums, art galleries …… we have never had expensive holidays: I often think that had I not suffered with anxiety which keeps me home/UK bound, we would be out of money by now  ;D  'cos there's so many places I would love to visit  ::).

A parent's role is to nuture, provide, advice, support ……. no good giving money for deposits etc. then moaning to others about it.  It is what it is !

A relative asked me for a large loan many years ago and stupidly I gave it: thinking that she might honor it, however …… when she asked the next time it was a firm 'no' to which I got abuse.  Which stengtheed my resolve never to lend her anything again. 

My parents have helped along the way.  They weren't the easiest people to get to know nor to live with but they did help.  My relative however squanders hers, whereas I am happy to see it build until I can buy what I'm saving for ;-).

kpatton56

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2016, 10:06:32 PM »

I think it is a joy and a privilege to give whatever I can to help my children out. My own parents were very supportive of us in the days when we had very little. My husband is now retired. I retired too but was then offered a job I just couldn't refuse and so we are better off now than we have ever been. I see this as an unexpected opportunity to do things which we didn't think would be possible. The thing which gives me most pleasure is paying for things which take the pressure off my family and make life a bit easier. They still have to budget wisely etc and have never taken anything for granted. I guess they remember growing up on a budget 😀

Joyce

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2016, 07:48:50 AM »

You're right it's not the norm Stellajane. Many parents don't have the funds.

Ju Ju

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2016, 08:41:18 AM »

We were open with our children as they were growing up about not being able to lavish money on them. They never asked for things, but appreciated and enjoyed what we could give them.

Both children have grown up being motivated by the quality of their lives rather than money, as long as they have enough to cover their bills.

My daughter is unlikely to be able to buy a house, though we hope to be able to help one day. I help out with bits and pieces, eg clothes for our grandson, treats for them, paying them to do house maintenance work for us.

My son has benefitted from the wealth of his in laws, but the help is sensible and measured and subtle, though generous. They have to work to pay their way. My son confided he felt embarrassed about their generosity, when his MIL paid for an airline ticket to come and see us. She said it was important he was able to see us as often as possible. I replied that  he should be generous in accepting financial help as it is given with love and pleasure and that we would do the same if we could. He feels more comfortable now.

I remember my cousin's parents paying off thousands of debt, only for him to rack up more debt. Parents have the responsibility to teach their children how to manage financial issues, but more than anything if their children find themselves in financial difficulty to support them in resolving these problems, but not protecting them from the consequences.

kpatton56

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2016, 09:56:42 AM »

Wise words Ju Ju 😀

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2016, 01:11:07 PM »

'leave themselves short' - for what exactly  :-\.  Himself and I don't spend a lot as we are lucky to have walks/cycle routes; library access; museums, art galleries …… we have never had expensive holidays: I often think that had I not suffered with anxiety which keeps me home/UK bound, we would be out of money by now  ;D  'cos there's so many places I would love to visit  ::).

A parent's role is to nuture, provide, advice, support ……. no good giving money for deposits etc. then moaning to others about it.  It is what it is !

A relative asked me for a large loan many years ago and stupidly I gave it: thinking that she might honor it, however …… when she asked the next time it was a firm 'no' to which I got abuse.  Which stengtheed my resolve never to lend her anything again. 

My parents have helped along the way.  They weren't the easiest people to get to know nor to live with but they did help.  My relative however squanders hers, whereas I am happy to see it build until I can buy what I'm saving for ;-).

"Leave themselves short" for doing things that other friends are doing.  Sometimes a group of us go for a day out somewhere or we go on a workshop or we book a spa day or we have a night out. WHatever idea one of us comes up with actually but there are one or two who often have to drop out because "we are helping out our kids."

I have a friend who is the loveliest person going but she cannot say no to her two sons.  She reckons most of her salary goes on helping them out. One she has got out of financial muddles since he was about 18 and he's now mid thirties and still in massive debt.  The other one is a bit better but she gave him a big deposit for his house.  Obviously it's entirely up to her how she spends her money but she tells us all about it and seems to want sympathy but we've all told her to toughen up to them.

babyjane

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2016, 01:23:29 PM »

Ours have never asked for anything, ever.  But when we have had the means we have offered and it has been gratefully accepted but didn't mean they looked for it the next time.

When our son got into debt we paid off a part of it but left him the other part to pay off himself or he would never have learned. 

SadLynda

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2016, 02:49:41 PM »

We do not have the means to support my daughter and SIL, my parents and 'his' have nothing to help us with either.  My Aunt is loaded and helps out my parents which is great.

My SIL is useless with money and thinks the world owes him a living, his parents are fairly wealthy and give him money whenever he asks for it (which is often) this is spent on himself and he always tells my DD if she needs money she should ask us and we should give it her.  I do provide as much as I can for my Granddaughter often leaving myself a bit short but none of this is her fault.  On the plus side DD will be leaving him soon, just not soon enough.

Taz2

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2016, 03:22:00 PM »

Mine have never asked for any financial support but I am sad that, despite having reasonable jobs (and student debt) they still can't quite get on the housing ladder. It seems impossible to save for the deposit while paying out rent and travel costs and nobody in their thirties wants to come back home to live with their parents in order to save. They live modestly, don't take much in the way of holidays and don't own cars but it's still difficult to save the approximate £8-10k required as a deposit. 

Taz x

buggz_71

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2016, 05:31:08 PM »

My son is only 15 and granted because he is a competitive swimmer he has very little time to have a paper round with having school as well. We pay for swimming training, kit and all competitions. It is a cost to us. I pay for kit and training and hubby pays for competitions.
I pay for all my sons clothes and person hygiene products and pocket money hubby pays for haircuts. I do what I can for my son he knows we are not hard up but also knows that I work hard for the money I have and am very fugile but like to treat the family too, hubby is retired on a very good pension.
I think my son is spoilt but also knows that I will do what I can but will not go crazy and buy things he does not need or is over priced! And I can say "no" to him when I need to.

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2016, 05:37:27 PM »

Mine have never asked for any financial support but I am sad that, despite having reasonable jobs (and student debt) they still can't quite get on the housing ladder. It seems impossible to save for the deposit while paying out rent and travel costs and nobody in their thirties wants to come back home to live with their parents in order to save. They live modestly, don't take much in the way of holidays and don't own cars but it's still difficult to save the approximate £8-10k required as a deposit. 

Taz x

yeah bring back the good old days when we were paying a massive 17% interest on our mortgages.   ;D ;D.   We struggled so much when we started out and couldn't even afford a babysitter so we never went out as all parents lived hundreds of miles away.

What about shared ownership Tazz? Would that be an option for them?  My son rents and although I keep trying to get him to buy he's not interested.  He lives  in York and house prices (and rents) are really high.
Pages: [1] 2 3