Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Borders hotels?  (Read 6233 times)

Joyce

Borders hotels?
« on: May 12, 2016, 06:33:11 PM »

On for some help ladies. Hubby is wanting to have family get together for my big birthday after we've been to New York. He was thinking nice hotel somewhere around the borders either south Scotland or North England as a central point. Anyone got any recommendations?

EllaM

Re: Borders hotels?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2016, 07:09:37 PM »

Being a Northumbrian I know I am biased but what about Bamburgh on the stunning coast. Have a look at Craster (amazing pub and tea room) and the walk to Dunstan urgh Castle. Further North there are the equally stunning St Abb's Head/coldingham bay/Eyemouth/Berwick/North Berwick. Kelso in the Borders is lovely with Floors Castle. In easy reach of Edinburgh and lots of other lovely places e.g. Melrose. Love love love this area I call home. Let me know where you choose xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2016, 02:23:56 PM »

Ella - my thoughts exactly!  We rented a self-catering cottage [currently for sale for £M1 as a going concern] on the cross-roads between Alnwick and Rothbury.  Durham is FabULus, I'm not a town person but I love it there, however, probably too far down for your needs?

Craster is lovely for walks - we stayed at a campsite 2 years ago and could walk to Dunstanburgh Castle and Craster [good smoke house].  Have a look at the on-line information for the areas DH thinks would be close to his plans.  Edinburgh? 

Joyce

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2016, 04:47:20 PM »

Hubby & I have discussed it further. Doubt it will be happening. I said it was a lovely idea, but awfully far for everyone to travel. Plus places we've looked into are all full. So we're going to split our celebrations. Brother & SIL are up our way in July, so we'll get together with them then. We'll do likewise with our daughter when we go to theirs in August.

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2016, 07:46:51 PM »

That sounds better!  I try to spin my birthday [Dec.] out so that I can enjoy it.  I did think that you were leaving it a little late to book ;-).

Have a look-see in the areas you plan to visit to see if there's anything special on in: i.e. gardens open, afternoon tea in a posh cafe, exhibition in museums etc. that you can all share?  Again, info web-sites will give ideas of events.

Joyce

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2016, 10:11:31 PM »

Hubby left it late CLKD. Until a few days ago I knew nothing of his planning.  I'd said last year a family get together would be lovely for my birthday, but didn't know he'd already booked New York. It was lovely of him to consider both, but I'll be more than happy spreading my birthday over a few months. After all I'm only 60 once.  ;D

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2016, 03:29:49 PM »

That's what I decided.  Hence getting the camper van in the June prior to my big 6 0 in that December  ;D - himself put a large yellow bow around the 'van so that when I opened the garage door  :-*

walking the dog

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2016, 05:22:43 PM »

What about Langley castle near hexham Northumberland its set in lovely grounds

Joyce

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2016, 05:29:03 PM »

Ooh looks lovely. Put in my favourites for future reference. Thanks walking the dog.

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2016, 09:01:33 PM »

Hexham Goal is worth a visit.  Loved the area, we stayed at a B&B on the Farm where the 1st Scout Group camp was held.  Crikey that was a few years ago that we went there  :-\.  We 'did' Hadrian's Wall  ::)

walking the dog

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2016, 08:50:20 AM »

Its a lovely area ckld I'm very lucky the coast is a fifteen minute drive  away and in am hour were in Northumberland

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2016, 08:51:21 AM »

Lucky you, we MISS the sea SO MUCH.  I have looked at properties 'up there' but you have a shorter growing season than we do  ;D and it's very peaty, plus the wind …….

babyjane

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2016, 02:21:55 PM »

My husband's family came from Northumberland.  He spent many family holidays at Bamburgh, Dunstanburgh, Alnwick, Whitley Bay, Lindisfarne, Rothbury to name a few  :).

Durham and the cathedral by the river are beautiful.

walking the dog

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2016, 02:53:47 PM »

Mum in laws in w bay I'm inland sadly but camp lots in some of the places you mentioned babyjane