Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Dad wins Landmark Case  (Read 5382 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Dad wins Landmark Case
« on: May 13, 2016, 03:05:43 PM »

About time!  Since when has the Education Authority had the power to take parents to Court because they take children from School?  This Dad states that his child is in School regularly so the EA have no reason to fine him when he wants to take her on holiday.  The Judge has today, Ruled in his favour  :bounce:

Every day is a learning curve  ::) and kids can learn out of as well as in School!  It doesn't go the other way does it, when Schools are closed for Polling day or when Staff have a 'training day'  >:(

CLKD

Re: Dad wins Landmark Case
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 03:20:08 PM »

:thankyou:

Dyan

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2016, 03:57:49 PM »

Good  :great:

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2016, 04:19:36 PM »

It will open flood gates though.  I hope that the Dad will now consider home-schooling!

Joyce

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2016, 04:28:17 PM »

About time. My daughter is going to have to take eldest GD out of school to be flower girl at her uncle's wedding in November for one maybe two days & it wasn't going to be allowed! GD was going to develop D&V for the occasion. Madness!

Most parents are sensible & make sure their kids go to school daily. Why should they be penalised?

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2016, 04:33:06 PM »

I talked recently in depth with a Dad who paid the fine - but he told me that the Asian community at his School are never fined  :-\ and think how many of those children 'disappear' from School, many of them taken abroad for early marriages and/or FGM  :'(.

We had a School Inspector who tapped on the doors if a child was not in School without a Very Good Excuse. 

Joyce

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2016, 04:35:35 PM »

Truancy officer paid my mum a visit when I was off school with mumps!

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2016, 04:37:25 PM »

That's the title  :thank you:

My friend had serious facial surgery which the Head was aware of, Truancy Officer still called on her Mother though  :(

Joyce

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2016, 05:37:21 PM »

We had to take our daughter out of school in P2. Hubby was a shift worker & couldn't get time off during summer holidays.  It was near the summer break & things were winding down at school anyway. We felt guilty, but were left with little choice. We wanted to spend quality time with our kids as a family. Surely that's just as important.

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2016, 07:01:42 PM »

Until recently a lot depended on whether your face fitted at school, whether you were on the PTA etc.

I remember years ago asking whether my kids could have 5 days off so we could go on holiday as hubby was self employed and that was the only time he was not committed to jobs.  My kids were never sick, never late for school and had excellent attendance. 

I had to beg and plead with the head and he reluctantly allowed it yet I knew other parents who took their kids out several times a year with no trouble because they were on the PTA.

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2016, 07:28:33 PM »

I'm afraid it's about Ofsted Reports!  :-X

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2016, 08:04:29 PM »

Apparently it's supply and demand  :-\. My argument is that we don't get anything different, not even  :sunny: in the UK  ::) so holidays should cost exactly the same what ever time of year  >:(.