Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Which HRT? Seeing doctor tomorrow!  (Read 3519 times)

Cherrycrumble

Which HRT? Seeing doctor tomorrow!
« on: May 08, 2016, 11:11:59 AM »

I've waited nearly 3 weeks to see the doctor, but tomorrow is the day!!  I've been reading up about hrt, and am thinking that the gel Utrogestan/estrogel sounds the kindest to use. What are others thoughts and experiences? 

I'm 48 and have been peri for a few years, but finding things really difficult now. My worst problems are anxiety and low mood along with awful breast pain and some night sweats. Am still having periods but missing a month here and a couple of months there! I actually feel at my best, anxiety and mood wise, in the week before a period is due, and then while having a period!! When the period finished I seem to plummet again moodwise. Am hoping hrt will help with my symtoms.

Slightly worried about migraines with hrt, as the pill gave me awful migraines and double vision and wasn't allowed it after that, but feel so bad just need to try something.

So is gel the way to go? :)

Hurdity

Re: Which HRT? Seeing doctor tomorrow!
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2016, 11:29:41 AM »

Hi Cherrycrumble

Either oestrogel or patch oestrogen ie transdermal oestrogen - are the most "natural" was to have HRT. Utrogestan is the only progesterone that is not synthetic avaliable as part of HRT on the NHS.

If your doctor tries to fob you off - these are the most important reasons - you want to have HRT (oestrogen) through the skin so that it doesn't have to go through the liver, and you do not want to have a synthetic progestogen. Also re your migraines - transdermal HRT is recommended and some synthetic progestogens also cause migraines/headaches. They can't (or shouldn't) argue with that.

Re gel or patch - it is purely a matter of preference. Gel is applied daily so you must wait for it to dry - and you have to be careful not to have close skin contact with someone for at least an hour after application - so your activities and routines need to be taken into consideration. A patch is normally changed twice a week so you can forget about it most of the time. Some women don't like the marks left afterwards but these are easily removed with baby oil. if you go for a patch - Estradot are the smallest so would choose these - and come in strengths from 25 mcg to 100 mcg.

I use a patch and have only ever done so and have been quite happy with it. Each method has their devotees, and for some women one method suits them more than the other re absorption. Both are equally effective overall - it just depends on you, your preference and possibly your skin. Gel users like to be able to adjust the dose quickly - but many of the benefits of oestrogen are long term anyway. Patches also come in different strengths.

Whatever you choose I would start low for the first 2-3 months as you are still having fairly frequent periods, and then increase if you need to and as your oestrogen levels fall.

Hope this helps and good luck :)

Hurdity x

Cherrycrumble

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2016, 11:48:29 AM »

Thanks Hurdity.  :)  That's really helpful and makes a lot of sense - I'm going to take a few notes with me, so don't forget anything while i'm there.x

Keepgoing

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2016, 02:04:53 PM »

Hi as hurdity says patches or gel but make sure the prog is utrogestan, your doc like mine may not recognise the name so tell them it's micronised progestorone.  The tablets some people can handle but upset my digestive system. Good luck xx

Just to clarify I mean hrt in tablet form upset my digestive system not the utrogestan as this is in tablet form, you can take it orally or vaginally, hope that helps lol xx
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 06:38:13 PM by Keepgoing »

Cherrycrumble

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2016, 03:31:04 PM »

Thanks Keepgoing and Stellajane   :). I'm feeling quite hopeful about my appointment tomorrow, so hopefully will have an understanding doctor. Will let you know how it goes  :)

Smokey

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2016, 09:55:20 AM »

Hi all

Good luck Cherrycrumble

I also have my appt with menopause clinic today.
I am also hoping to try Ultrogestan and oestrogel I'm currently on 75mg patch but Norestone part gives me strange heads.

Does anyone know how many pumps of gel is equivalent to 75mg patch form?

Thanks

Ann x

Smokey

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2016, 07:04:02 PM »

Thanks Stellajane

Ann x