Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: FSH has gone from 24 to 3,4 is this normal?  (Read 3136 times)

mumofthree

FSH has gone from 24 to 3,4 is this normal?
« on: May 22, 2016, 04:37:30 PM »

Hi all, I haven't posted for a long time but have been suffering with peri symptoms for past few years. It started when I had a breakdown 2.5 years ago due to my awful, stressful job. I went into perimenopause with a huge bang and it was awful. My FSH was 24 at the time. One year later it was 12.5. I'm still getting symptoms though not as bad, mostly hot flush at 5am making me have to stand in the garden to cool down, very painful breasts for 8-10 days per month, VERY low mood for 2 days and some other symptoms.
I recently went to the GP as I'd been having AWFUL period pains for a few days once a month. I had a hysterectomy 11 years ago (I'm now 42) but kept my ovaries. I'm waiting for a scan on my ovaries, although the pains have stopped for the past month. But my recent FSH was 3.5. The normal range starts at 4.5 so I'm wondering why mine is so low? is this normal or could there be another reason?

Thanks in advance  :)

Taz2

Re: FSH has gone from 24 to 3,4 is this normal?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2016, 05:22:28 PM »

Hi mumofthree - which day of your cycle did you have your FSH measured? Your level does seem low if you haven't been on HRT recently.

Taz x

mumofthree

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2016, 06:12:00 PM »

Thanks for the reply Taz2, I don't have a cycle as I had a hysterectomy 11 years ago (kept ovaries) so no idea what's going on and when!?

BrightLight

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2016, 07:01:01 PM »

I think it really does depend on where things are in terms of hormone activity so without a cycle you can't really tell I guess but I can share that I had a very high FSH showing post menopausal range and the next time it was 3.  At the time of the first test I was due a period but none came, so I guess my body was looking to ovulate and the FSH went high and the second test was on the third day of a period (the ideal day to test).

I imagine that your FSH level is going up and down like mine. I know they say it gradually climbs as ovulation declines, at least that is my understanding, but I am not so sure that works so neatly. Perhaps the body gets back into regular ovulation and then ceases for a while etc.

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2016, 11:39:06 PM »

Thanks for the reply Taz2, I don't have a cycle as I had a hysterectomy 11 years ago (kept ovaries) so no idea what's going on and when!?

Sorry - I don't know why I asked such a daft question!!

Taz x  :)

mumofthree

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2016, 11:02:39 AM »

It wasn't a daft question Taz, I just wish I knew what my cycles were and when! That's the only downside to having a hysterectomy and keeping your ovaries.

Brightlight, thanks for the reply. I can understand my FSH going up and down as that's how I feel generally, fine one day then the next day I can literally 'feel' the hormones raging through my body. My concern is that it's too low. I've read about it being an indicator for PCOS plus other things but not sure whether I'm being a bit of a hypercondriact  ::)

BrightLight

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2016, 11:24:27 AM »

Hi - I went through similar thoughts with the PCOS because my LH was much higher than my FSH on the second test but then I let it go. Whether that is right or not I have no idea, but I do know that without consistant testing of levels, the picture is so small it's not possible to know anything for sure :) The worry of trying to work out what was going on was not helpful and eventually I have learnt (albeit not perfectly) to ride the changes.  If something changes longer term get it checked out - as you are with the pains.

I also had weird pains that have no gone, I had a scan and fibroids were found but the consultant said pains were not from those, which I believe because they have gone. My theory is that I had transient cysts. Honestly I do understand the emotional rollercoaster and I hope you can have some peace from the worry every now and again and eventually for more of the time.