Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: MRI  (Read 3168 times)

Ju Ju

MRI
« on: May 07, 2016, 07:13:40 PM »

My appointment letter arrived today. The original one was delivered to the wrong address, but same name. I wonder what they thought when they read the letter..... MRI defecting proctorgram!  ;D

Anyway, I'm now 5 months on from my hysterectomy and back wall repair, but still have problems with incomplete evacuation, which the rectocele was blamed for originally. I had a colonoscopy 2 years ago, which showed nothing. When I saw a registrar for a follow up appointment, she felt it was more likely for it to be a problem with my back passage, so arranged for this MRI. I have since seen my gynaecologist, who laughed and it said it was a waste of money, as the problem is more likely to be very low oestrogen levels. Because I no longer have to take progesterone, which I was sensitive to I am now free to increase my oestrogen prescription. One month on, but no improvement on going to the loo, other than I have healed well from the op, but I do feel better in other respects.

Has any one had this procedure done? The one thing that does stress me out is that I have to be at a hospital about 3/4 hour away and I have to be there for 8am. Therein lies the problem, as though there are no special preparations, you have to ensure your lower bowel is empty. It will be luck and getting up very early to ensure that! Cos that's why I'm having this scan! Ah well, just as well I have a sense of humour!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: MRI
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2016, 07:32:05 PM »

Travelodge closer to the Hospital?  Does the Hospital have flats that can be rented by patients over-night?  B&B would probably be too personal even with en-suite but perhaps a Hotel?

If it were me I wouldn't be eating much prior to the exam. and nervous enough that the bowel would take care of itself that morning ………  ::)

Joyce

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2016, 10:17:20 PM »

Not sure if this suggestion would help, but can you take something like sennakot or similar the night before to ensure you are as empty as you can be?

Ju Ju

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2016, 02:34:54 AM »

No. Sennacot and other lavitives will result in the need to keep going to the loo through out the day. Last time I took sennacot I had an accident! Never again! Although I do have IBS which tends to be more on the constipation side, with management, I can keep my stools soft, but still this problem persists despite that. Hence the investigation. I suspect the gynaecologist is right and that they won't find anything other than a functional problem. And it is a problem when I have to get somewhere by a certain time.

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2016, 03:55:53 PM »

Does the anxiety around the appt. make you 'go'?

Ju Ju

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2016, 05:52:09 PM »

More likely to be unable to go until I should be going out the door! The daft thing is I'm not worried about the MRI, more that I'll be late, because it takes so long. Obviously there's the all in the mind element here.

Joyce

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2016, 06:10:50 PM »

Oh that's a shame Ju Ju.  You can't help how your body reacts, you can only do what you can. Hope it goes OK.  :hug:

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2016, 08:46:35 PM »

Stay overnight  ;)