Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Tibolone for perimenopausal depression  (Read 11008 times)

dogdoc

Tibolone for perimenopausal depression
« on: May 04, 2016, 09:49:32 PM »

Had an interesting discussion with a researcher in australia. New trial going on looking into the use of tibolone ( livial) for new onset or relapse of depression and anxiety symptoms in women in the early perimenopausal transition. Results to be published hopefully 2017.

This is a psychiatric unit doing the research. Looks like they're seeing a lot of women in early perimenopause with new onset or relapse of serious depressive and anxiety symptoms/panic attacks in early transition. They believe that the rapid fluctuations in hormones alters the neurotransmitter functioning causing the psychiatric symptoms, and that the symptoms respond poorly to 'traditional' treatments for depression (read SSRI's).

I think many many of us on this forum would agree and a big NO SHIT!! would go out. Can't believe it's 2016 and they're just figuring this out now. Power to someone for finally noticing that geez there seems to be a lot of 40 something women losing their minds!!! Wonder why that is. Hmmmm

Sorry for the sarcasm. Hope they find it helps. Thinking about asking the doc for a trial of it as it apparently helps non existent sex drive too.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Tibolone for perimenopausal depression
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 09:51:20 PM »

It also depends on who might be Funding the Research  ::)

Kate50

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 10:17:38 PM »

That's also true!
I found it horrible gave me whacking headaches and if I'd stayed on it I reckon I would have been depressed!

Mommarv

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 10:20:03 PM »

I had constant tension headache for a couple of days but they've thankfully gone now cx

Kate50

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016, 10:38:01 PM »

Will be interested to see how you get on?

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2016, 10:48:29 PM »

This is interesting as Tibolone (Livial) is only advised for the treatment of post menopausal women?

Taz x

Kate50

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2016, 10:51:47 PM »

Do they really take notice of that?  Don't think my doctors stuck to the rule book over hrt maybe they should have done?  So many different opinions from the professionals out there

Lizab

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2016, 10:56:54 PM »

I've only read a little about tibolone, but it seems like with the way it is supposed to work with estrogen receptors, it could take away the guesswork and dosage tinkering in peri too. Nice to see somebody addressing peri as a real issue.

Kate50

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2016, 10:59:11 PM »

Do you know what I dont think where I was in meno was really discussed at docs it was like give me the drugs lol!

Taz2

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2016, 11:03:40 PM »

;D

I think it is to do with the risk of endometrial cancer in younger women.

Taz  x

Kate50

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2016, 11:07:57 PM »

Yeah dont think I was at risk of that I want having periods but it wasn't a year but then want sure cos had a bleed due to trying hrt. Never was a bleeder anyway i presume you need lots of oestrogen for that

Lizab

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2016, 11:54:30 PM »

I was a heavy bleeder in earlier peri. Besides prescribing iron and checking for problems, the doctors for the most part said "this is perimenopause.  Deal with it." I don't feel like they took it very seriously or perhaps they would have prepared me for symptoms to come.  When I started losing my mind later, I also was like GIVE ME THE DRUGS!!!

dogdoc

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2016, 01:07:03 PM »

I'd be happy with just about any improvements personally. Still having 'regular' periods...meaning anywhere from 21 days to 40 days, but have had the works re symptoms. All the way from neurologic, to psychiatric and vasomotor. Pretty much all of them. It seems it was at it's absolute worst a couple years ago, but still quite sucky all the way through lol.

I would take livial if i thought it would give me some energy, a sex drive and help with weight loss etc. I found that extra estrogen during this stage does not help all the time ( although sometimes felt great), and sometimes felt 10X worse. Too many ups and downs and wasn't willing to take such a high dose as to completely suppress ovulation which I think is probably the only thing that would work in the early transition.
BCP seems to be hit or miss.

Anyways the study people say they haven't seen too many bleeding problems ( the main issue with using the drug before periods end) and that if I want to try it I should find a 'keen and interested' GP to prescribe it. I won't hold my breath.
Study results due out 2017

Pam Madra

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2016, 08:15:31 AM »

Hi Continuing from previous thread of post by dogdoc I am interested in knowing if Tibilone helps peri menopause in women. I have been prescribed this medicine today. I want to know if any one in past has taken this medicine and found that it helped them in their perimenopause phase.

Otes73

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2016, 09:08:02 AM »

I was given this in peri but I have  had a  hysterectomy (ovaries intact)
It gave me daily headaches so I gave it up BUT every other peri symptom went! Felt I had great energy, sex drive increased, no sweats or anxiety. If it wasn't for the headaches I would of carried on. On the scales I put on weight but I couldn't tell, I didn't look or fit in my clothes any differently. It most definitely gave me a real sense of calm and wellbeing.
X
Pages: [1] 2 3