Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Someone took out my batteries  (Read 3626 times)

ricekrispie

Someone took out my batteries
« on: May 03, 2016, 09:21:29 PM »

Hello

It's my first post here after being diagnosed with meno (finally) last November. I've been feeling tired though for three years! First it was massive fibroids - hysterectomy followed then that took a year to recover from now it's the menopause.

Does anyone else get this? It's horrific.

Evorel 50 sorted out the night sweats, hot flushes, muscle cramps, insomnia and feelings of doom but what's left is this crashing fatigue, no get up and go, no sort term memory and a serious lack of reaction time to things when I'm driving (I don't drive when I'm tired now).

It's seriously as if someone took out my batteries. My business is suffering but at least I am self employed so can sleep without the added stress of explaining it to someone else. From what I've read it sounds like it could be testosterone that's lacking?

Please can I ask what does anyone else think?

Oh, and because I'm so tired I crave carbs = 14lbs weight gain in 6 months. Genius!

Thank you for listening/reading.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Someone took out my batteries
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 09:29:57 PM »

:welcomemm:  browse round.  Make notes!  Someone with knowledge of HRT will be along. 

Excess sugar can cause tiredness - keep well hydrated and when possible, take gentle exercise.  Some find yoga helpful, I do lots of gardening ……..

ricekrispie

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 09:39:41 PM »

Thank you. It's my first (practically) sugar free day. Am going down the diet and exercise route first. I walk the dog a lot but don't have the oomph for gardening which is terrible as I love it. The sugar needs to go though.

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2016, 09:42:27 PM »

Don't drop it suddenly though. The body might react  ::).

Walking is good.  (We have a breed of dog thread here somewhere  ::) ).  I don't walk enough.  I have a treadmill, last week I used it on Monday and decided every other day would be fine - have I since  >:(  ::).

Jot down your diet and see what adjustments can be made without being drastic??  Also cutting down portion amounts can help.

Removal of batteries is a good description!

dangermouse

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2016, 10:50:40 PM »

Yes I'm like this now my worse symptoms are controlled with the pill, some days it feels such an effort to even lift my arms to type! A bit like a permanent low grade flu. I too am self employed and the lethargy is making it hard to push myself to stay self employed!

I was also like this on and off for the last few years before I had extreme peri symptoms. The only time it's completely vanished is when I've had to take antibiotics??!

Would love to understand which chemical imbalance is causing it. Perhaps low oestrogen as I did also feel better in the evenings when I was having daytime oestrogen surges pre pill and I suppose antibiotics could be estrogenic?

Mommarv

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2016, 11:23:34 PM »

Such a brilliant description:- someone took out my batteries! Well today for the first time in probably years I felt like someone had charged mine and I couldn't believe the difference! Made me a bit angry with myself - why on earth have I struggled on as long as I have without realising there was a real medical cause for feeling like this instead of beating myself up for being 'lazy' - arghh! Anyway I'm going to look to the future now and am really really hoping that the Livial I started a few weeks ago is what has affected this miraculous change in me lol (to be fair it has only been just the one day so far but what a difference!) good luck and take care X

dazned

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2016, 08:30:21 AM »

Thats strange Dangermouse about the antibiotics as I was lead to believe that antibiotics actually interfer with hrt rending it ineffectual  :-\

dangermouse

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2016, 12:20:46 PM »

I wasn't on the pill when taking the ABs, but on the two occasions I took them in the last 18 months, the lethargy just disappeared and I was like a new woman for a week!

Perhaps its because the ABs lower the immune system so, like with steroids, you feel unusually well because your normal levels of inflammation etc. are repressed? I suspect its something like that or they increase oestrogen?

ricekrispie

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2016, 02:48:46 PM »

Thank you all. Am currently in bed as I trapped a nerve in my back yesterday. Osteopath, painkillers, short dog walk and some work, now heat pad and bed. The dog is with me, bless her, I know she'd far rather be sniffing out small creatures she hasn't a hope of catching.

Thanks again.

star-mam

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2016, 07:51:20 PM »

Ricekrispie, sorry to hear you are laid up, I hope your back is on the mend soon.

I'm going to steal your description and use it when talking to people about how I feel; tired or even exhausted sometimes just don't seem adequate. I'm also craving carbs, I could eat toast all day, yum, but must make an effort to stop while I still have some clothes that fit me ;)

I'm afraid I don't know anything about hormones so can't help you with your question about testosterone, just wanted to let you know you are not alone xx

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2016, 09:33:00 PM »

OUCH!

we have a dog thread here ………  ;)

matildamouse

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2016, 04:48:09 AM »

Excellent description regards the batteries!! ;D Sorry no advice but I can identify...