Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Oestrogel/Utrogestan off-licence with NHS + 7 year rule?  (Read 6770 times)

dangermouse

Re: Oestrogel/Utrogestan off-licence with NHS + 7 year rule?
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2016, 11:00:36 PM »

Yes and I suppose they may also be afraid of the responsibility of 'prescribing' any risk. Going by the GP I saw today, she looked very nervous about prescribing HRT in general and kept saying how complicated it was. Even though she laughed in agreement when I suggested the pill I was on now was probably more dangerous.

I suspect it's a GPs 'oh no' when we walk in asking for it!

Tempest

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2016, 09:33:04 PM »

Interestingly, when I saw my Consultant at my Menopause Clinic (I'm in Scotland fwiw), she said that they often see ladies who have been taken off their HRT by 'overly cautious and nervous' GP's, and then restart these ladies as their symptoms are so distressing. She told me the oldest they have is 80. :o

Dancinggirl

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2016, 09:00:52 AM »

I actually know a lady who has been using HRT well into her 80s.  She is still working, her back is as straight as a ramrod and she is mentally so ‘on the ball'.  In my early 50s I was struggling without HRT - I had taken myself off HRT after all the scares back in 2002 - this particular lady overheard me mention that I couldn't have a small glass of wine because of my terrible flushes and proceeded to announce that she was on HRT (she was 81 at the time). She lectured me about how small the risks actually were and that there was no need to suffer unnecessarily.  I then went to see my GP who referred me to an NHS meno clinic in North London, I got a Mirena and some Oestrogel and basically I got my life back.
My current GP practise were not happy to keep me on HRT due to my age (now 60) so I have been to see a private gynae and they are following his instructions. I am still adjusting what I am using HRT wise - one pump of Oestrogel per day seems to keep my flushes etc. under control but I do find the Utrogestan challenging because it doesn't always control the bleeds that well. I do like taking the Utro as it makes me feel very chilled and I sleep well but I get nasty cramps with the bleed.  I tried Utro continuously but this caused spotting etc and also some strange rashes on my face. I'm back doing a sequi regime and hoping this will settle.
So, I'm hoping to continue with HRT for the foreseeable future or at least until I retire in 6 years time.  DG x
Pages: 1 [2]