Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Mirena with oestrogen patch  (Read 13624 times)

Maria1

Mirena with oestrogen patch
« on: May 03, 2016, 04:36:10 PM »

Hi there

Has anybody had the mirena fitted as part of HRT treatment? My Consultant said that if I still had mine in, the progesterone could be delivered that way, with a small does oestrogen patch to start as I get awful migraines.

However, I can't find any stories of how people get on with this treatment. I'm keen to know as I removed my mirena a year ago and think I feel more hormonal since, though that could just be coincidental.

The consultant wants me to take the progesterone orally, rather than fit the coil. I'd rather have the coil as I rarely get periods at the moment and I think it should be my choice.

Grateful for any experiences if you've had mirena and oestrogen patch- thanks

Dyan

Re: Mirena with oestrogen patch
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 04:46:40 PM »

Hi Maria1 :welcomemm:
I'm on my 2nd mirena and use sandrena estrogen gel.
I have been fine both times on this combination until the mirena starts running out,then I feel pretty rubbish,which I think is happening now.
Other than that I've been good on them both.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 05:11:08 PM »

I had the Mirena as part of HRT for 4 years and it was quite good.  If you have migraines then the Mirena may be better - taking progesterone orally can make migraines worse.  Combined HRT patches that have oestrogen and progesterone could be an option for you, however, these patches tend to be a medium dose and if you are still peri meno then this may be too strong to start with.  I think your instincts are right, if you were good with the Mirena before then having another and then using oestrogen as either a patch or as gel would be a good option for you.
The Mirena is a favourite with many gynaes as part of HRT because it usually means you don't get a bleed (after the first few weeks) and then you can use as little or as much oestrogen as you need to control flushes etc. I hope that helps.
DG x

Tinkerbell

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2016, 06:14:13 PM »

I had the Mirena fitted three weeks ago and started with the Estradot patch at the same time.
I tried Utrogestan a couple of months back but couldn't tolerate the side effects of it.
At the moment I don't seem to be getting too many side effects(some spotting and feel a teeny bit tearful  sometimes) so I am going to stick with it and see how it goes.

AnnaCupcake

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2016, 06:46:06 PM »

Well this is my very first post!

I've had a Mirena for nearly 5 years (I'm actually on my second one).  It was first inserted for very heavy bleeding.  When I went through my menopause very suddenly last year, I had a new one and I'm using patches.  The only side effect I've getting is water retention.  My ankles have ceased to exist!

Mary G

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2016, 07:03:55 PM »

I used the Mirena for several years (I had 2) for contraception purposes but once menopausal, I started to get migraines.  While I was in my reproductive years, the migraines were not a problem with the Mirena but as soon as my own hormone levels dropped, the synthetic progesterine in the coil became dominant and the migraines started.  I then starting using an oestrogen patch with the Mirena but the progesterone in the coil still came through and still I had migraines. 

I wonder if you might be better off using Oestrogel with the Mirena rather than the patches?

I now use Oestrogel and very limited Utrogestan and so far so good. 

Maria1

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2016, 08:59:35 PM »

Thank you all so much for your replies- so very helpful!

I'm also on thyroid treatment and have a ME/CFS diagnosis. I do believe there's a real out of kilter hormone recipe going on that isn't helping.

I removed the mirena on the off chance it might help with the ME symptoms. It didn't but at least I know now. I didn't realise I was menopausal at the time; the mirena was fitted for heavy periods which were still very regular when the mirena was fitted. Since removing the mirena I have hardly had a period, but I do still get the odd one.

I have always suffered with menstrual migraines ( increasing in frequency at different times over the years, so I'd get them at other times too). These lessened on the mirena, and have returned with a vengeance since its removal. I'm on high dose topirimate for them but they still break through.

The consultant was strangely reluctant to refit the mirena, I think because I told her I couldn't have it fitted normally (I have some sort of kink somewhere and had to have it fitted in hospital). It makes me wonder if there's a cost implication.

Your replies have made me determined to trust my instincts and push for the mirena.

There's definitely a link with the thyroid too, and it's hard to know whether I'm optimally treated, with the menopausal stuff going on too.

Thank you so much again and best wishes to all of you!! X

AnnaCupcake

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2016, 06:56:21 PM »

Maria, I have to have mine done in hospital too because I've never had a pregnancy which went beyond 12 weeks.  My first one was done while I was knocked out.  The last one was done at a hospital clinic but with only paracetamol and I nearly passed out.

Maria1

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2016, 07:34:41 PM »

Annacupcake I'm so sorry to hear that. It sounds like you've had a rough time all round.

I didn't mind the insertion too much. It was in a bupa clinic but on the NHS so quite pleasant, apart from an overly flirtatious gynaecologist who said as he put it in 'if you're pregnant after this it wasn't me', to lots of laughter from the nurses  ::) - I had a round of IVF many years ago before managing to conceive naturally and everything pales into insignificance compared with the egg collection.

It would just be so much easier if the GP could just get it in- she did try a few times last time; maybe I'll see if she'll try again.

Ljp

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2016, 10:39:23 PM »

Hi, I had mirena fitted at my hysteroscopy appointment in December, due to a post meno bleed, I had been using estriol with cream since the previous May, and gynae thought that had been enough to cause a light post meno bleed.
Anyway long story short, had mirena fitted, then started using oestrogel, I find 1.5 pumps gel work for me, and after the first 10 weeks, no spotting.
Now I feel the best Ive felt in a long time, only slight negative, is a 5lb weight increase, I just crave carbs all the time :(