Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Vaginal discharge after having a Mirena fitted  (Read 7539 times)

Glass.half.full

Vaginal discharge after having a Mirena fitted
« on: May 03, 2016, 06:54:19 AM »

Morning lovely ladies,

I have been on cyclical HRT patches for two years but I had a Mirena fitted about a month ago because I needed to get some sort of control over my very heavy periods which I was getting twice a month (fibroids are contributing to this).  The fitting procedure was very straight-forward, and not uncomfortable at all (despite what I was expecting).  I didn't experience any pain afterward which was great.  I've had a light period since the fitting (great, no need for tampons and towels the size of a house).  All is fine to be honest apart from the amount of watery discharge I've had for the last week and a half.  At first I thought it was a bit of urinary incontinence because it's so runny and clear.  Its now at the point where I have to wear a tampon all day so that my underwear isn't soaked through.  I've got a GP appointment this week to discuss with her but I wanted to just put this out there on the forum to see if anyone else has had this problem and if so, did you get to the cause of it.  Should also add that whilst on the patches I used to get this watery discharge right after my period when I was in the Oestrogen patch so am wondering whether it's the oestrogen that might be causing my cup to runneth over 🤔🤔

Thank in advance and have a great day x

Sorry for giving too much info first thing in the morning 😳🤔

Halfpint

Re: Vaginal discharge after having a Mirena fitted
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 08:57:42 AM »

I can't advise on the discharge but I was shocked to read you are using a tampon for it. It is advised not to use Tampons if you are not menstruating. The discharge is helping to flush out any harmful bacteria. By using a tampon, you are putting yourself at risk of a bacterial infection and even Toxic Shock Syndrome. Use a panty liner or a sanitary towel.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 09:08:21 AM »

I agree with Halfpint.  There is a chance that a bacterial infection has taken hold which could cause this watery discharge - tampons really not a good idea.  Infections are often present in the vaginal area and are rarely treated as they tend to clear up by themselves.  You could try using Multi Gyn Actigel which helps to restore and maintain the vaginal flora. Take showers not baths and never use anything scented around the vaginal area.  There is often spotting, bleeding and some discharge in the first few weeks or even months with the Mirena and as you have had heavy bleeding and fibroids this may take a bit more time to settle.  Good to check things with the GP though - she may take a swob to have tested.  I expect this will settle in time.  DG x

Glass.half.full

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2016, 01:14:52 PM »

Thank you ladies.  Crikey hadn't thought about dangers of using a tampon when I'm not menstruating 😶  I won't do it again!

Will definitely run it past my GP when I see her on Thurs.  I not massively worried, it's not smelly or discoloured just a bit annoying.  Will let you know what she has to say.