Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Catastrophic Thinking!  (Read 13530 times)

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
Catastrophic Thinking!
« on: April 30, 2016, 12:01:05 PM »

Is it just me? Or does the peri-menopause make you think in black and white? Or worst case scenario every time?

A year ago, I didn't think like this...but now I seem to have developed this style of thinking. Is it all part of the emotional brain in overdrive due to hormonal changes?

If so, can I taken away till this is all over and delivered back when the peri is over!

walking the dog

Re: Catastrophic Thinking!
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2016, 12:56:02 PM »

I'm def like that, in fact more black than anything! I really hope after menopause even after I'm out of the peri that things will change and I wont even spend time thinking about how I'm thinking😊

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2016, 04:22:21 PM »

Yes I know what you mean.  In fact i'm not sure why I put white in that paragraph....mine's all black too!

I have a few stressful events coming up and am really doubting my ability to deal with them.  All day I have been thinking “what if the stress drives me over the edge?” and of course, that then causes the physical anxiety.

walking the dog

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2016, 06:30:05 PM »

The Dr has put me on 20mg propranalol 3 x day to help with the AD changeover I know people swear by itfor anxiey but I really don't feel any difference 😐

star-mam

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2016, 08:39:20 PM »

Yep, I do it too.

I worry about everything and it's always the most horrendous outcome that sticks in my mind  ::)

Kazbear

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2016, 09:42:02 PM »

Absolutely.  I go straight to nuclear in a nanosecond - it is always worse case scenario.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2016, 11:53:43 AM »

The BB is doing it's work then WtDog.  I don't find that Propranolol makes any difference unless I don't take it regularly  ::) - like last year  >:( and even then, I didn't associate the panic attacks with less BB  >:(.  I needed another  :kick:

As I am typing my anxiety is up a bit  :-\ so my brain is saying 'not again'  :-[

walking the dog

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2016, 12:27:34 PM »

I never thought of it like that clkd but its obvious if I feel no different it must be working , I'm a bit daft sometimes 😊

Miss Lemon

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2016, 12:44:39 PM »

Yep, same here. I catastrophise everything at the moment.  It drives my hubby mad. I hate all of this nightmare but the mental part is really difficult to cope with. Let's hope that the is an end to this for all of us.

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2016, 01:28:57 PM »

If you don't feel worse WtD then it's probably working, not daft at all!!! The BB is keeping that problem stable.

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2016, 06:17:09 PM »

You will have reserves though because adrenaline will kick in  ;).  Been there, done that  ::)

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2016, 08:01:22 PM »

I hated that too.  I helped a neighbour many years ago during a crisis, was OK for those 3/4 weeks then slumped.  Awful.  But I did survive once life levelled out.

Justjules

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2016, 12:39:51 PM »

Yep, belong the that 'club' - it's never ending.  Been back to Drs again today - was there on Saturday morning in a complete panic.  Too much adrenaline apparently but can't calm down no matter what I try.  Every thought is catastrophic.  OH says those dreaded words...."just pull yourself together"!!!  Anyone got a gun... :cuss:

dangermouse

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2016, 01:05:11 PM »

It's caused by adrenaline putting you into a hyper alert state. Your physical symptoms are subconsciously prompting you to look for the problem that is causing the high adrenaline.

It's hard to ignore but you can over-ride it by rationalising each situation and attempting to lower the high adrenaline with HRT if you choose.

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2016, 02:17:40 PM »

JJ - did your GP give you an emergency anti-anxiety med., i.e. Valium ?
Pages: [1] 2