Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: HELP! My Blood Pressure is much higher than usual since starting Elleste Duet  (Read 3673 times)

Dediva Ann

Hello again lovely ladies  :-*

As I said in my first post, since starting Elleste Duet 1mg 15 days ago I feel I have found the antidepressant I have missed out on my entire adult life.  After years of being unsuccessfully treated for depression by psychiatrists, my mood is now the best it has ever been in my entire adult life and I feel generally calmer, less angry, better able to cope, less crazy, have more energy and am able to focus and function.  As I have said in my other post I am a bit concerned about starting the progesterone pills but so far so good on the oestrogen only ones.

HOWEVER I have been a tad concerned about my Blood Pressure as it is as if I can feel my blood vessels (especially in my chest, head and legs) squeezing at times and sometimes I feel like I am about to burst!  My BP had always been 110/60 with very little variation in the last decade.  Today I requested a BP check hoping for reassurance and am really concerned that it is now 132/92!?! Such a big leap in a fortnight!

FYI I am morbidly obese and have heart block (and thus a pacemaker fitted.)  I swim every day and have quite a healthy diet so this sudden change really worries me.  I can't speak to my GP until tomorrow at the earliest.  Might any of you have any thoughts or experience on this?

Finally, I think my period is about to pop (feeling very premenstrual.)  I have never specifically had BP checked just before a period, so wonder if perhaps it always goes up at this time and I've just never known before?

Mary G

Dediva Ann, obviously that is higher than usual for you but it doesn't actually sound like high blood pressure to me.  Does your heart condition mean you have to keep it to a certain level?

Joyce

I wouldn't say it's overly high, but worth keeping an eye on. A chat with your GP or practice nurse may be worthwhile.

Dediva Ann

Hi MaryG  Yeah I know it's not exceptionally high but is so unusual for me which is what alarmed me!  No-one has ever said I especially need to keep my BP low but when I had a Heart Health Check recently (pre HRT) it was one of the key factors which gave an indication that I was unlikely to have a heart attack - if that makes sense?

I have read up a bit since posting and everything points to not being overly concerned about a one off reading but just to keep an eye on it.   I had got myself into such a state and was worrying I am going to have a heart attack or stroke tonight - I think / hope ? pray now that this is just the PMT talking!

Dediva Ann

Thanks CubaGirl  Didn't see your reply until I had posted mine.  I think that's good advice now I have managed to calm down a bit  :-*

Taz2

Hi Dediva Ann - just want to say that although you feel like your blood pressure is high when you feel that pulsing in your chest and head there are actually no symptoms of high blood pressure which is why it's so difficult to know if you have it or not. Was your BP taken at the docs or do you have a home monitor? Mine was high in the surgery a few weeks ago and I have been taken off HRT but that is also due to my age (61). I am working at getting mine a bit lower and have got a home monitor which shows really good averages which is encouraging. The ideal blood pressure is 120/80 or less. If either number is higher than this it indicates that their may be a problem. I expect you've seen the blood pressure chart http://www.bloodpressureuk.org/BloodPressureandyou/Thebasics/Bloodpressurechart

In the surgery mine was something like 150/92 but at home it's coming out at around 115/74.

Taz x

Dediva Ann

Hi Taz2   Yes my BP was taken in the surgery but then so have all the other readings in the last five years - i.e. they have all been in that same clinical environment?  Good to know though that my symptoms are unrelated.  I think I am going to get myself a home BP monitor now like you so I can really keep an eye on it.  Sorry to hear you have had to come off HRT if it was helping you?  My Auntie is 92 and has been on HRT for 33 years, swears by it and is still doing well (she's fitter than me in fact!) but I guess it is a very individual thing with so many factors to weigh up.  I am learning that it really is such a mine field!  Sounds like you are making great progress with reducing your BP to well within the normal range, which is very encouraging.  Hope you continue to do well  :-*

Taz2

Thanks Dediva Ann! How great to hear that your auntie is still being prescribed HRT into her nineties - I'm sure it makes a difference to her quality of life. I miss being able to have it but I'll keep up the exercise, try to reduce alcohol (not that I drink much - a glass a day) and salt and hopefully I'll be back on track eventually.

The monitor I was advised to buy by my surgery is the Omron M3 Intellisense. It's on Amazon and was on special offer a couple of weeks ago - cost around £30 I think. It stores readings for two users, up to 60 each, and you can also switch it to "guest" if anyone else wants to have a go. It also gives you an average as well as the individual readings so if you take it three times over ten minutes it then gives you the average which is helpful. It needs calibrating (usually your doctors surgery will do this) every two years.

Taz x