Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Should I even be on HRT?  (Read 17539 times)

GypsyRoseLee

Re: Should I even be on HRT?
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2016, 03:26:39 PM »

Hi coldethly

I didn't realise, but the Crisis Team doctor is apparently a psychiatrist and it was him who prescribed the Trazadone + Quetiapine regime.

But I wonder if it's struggling to work because I am keeping my oestrogen levels too high?

coldethyl

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2016, 03:35:53 PM »

I don't know anything about oestrogen.. I always found it was the progesterone in the birth control pill that sent me into a decline. Oestrogen just made me fat. Like I say I'd be inclined to stop the hormone side for the time being and see exactly what is you and what is it. X

BrightLight

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2016, 03:56:21 PM »

Hello GRL - I have also been wondering how you have been getting on.  Seems you are questioning the addition of hormones completely.  Personally I would stop all the HRT and focus on your mental health in other ways. Hormones are powerful, whether natural or added and it does sound like you may have some symptoms of excess or at least out of balance estrogen.

"I have never had any hot flushes. Never suffered with vaginal dryness. Periods have always stayed regular, though much lighter. Even on 3 pumps of oestrogel for the last 2 weeks, my period has started today."  Although these symptoms are signs to say low hormones are definately present, being without them doesn't mean you are not in perimenopause with fluctuating or low hormones but for me, it definately means you have enough of hormone activity going on to protect you bone and heart wise for the time being and afford you time to take stock and see where you are 'naturally' at.  This might seem scary. I do think it might be the best course of action.

Please write again or call someone if you feel very very bad.  What did your GP suggest?  Do you have a good relationship?  Maybe talk to them or just have a deeper dig inside yourself and ask what you really need, right now, to help you out of crisis xx

Lizab

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2016, 03:59:57 PM »

Hi GRL, I'm glad to hear from you again, though I do wish you had better news. I only want to cheer you on and encourage you to keep following your gut instincts. I'm still up and down, and I often question whether it's the estrogen doing it to me, as my bad spells are always in the estrogen only days. But then I reason that I must have been low on estrogen, because none of this started until my periods disappeared and the added estrogen has certainly helped some symptoms. It's all so confusing. I feel good right now and can barely imagine how you must be feeling, but a week ago I was dreadfully low. I cringe when I women tell me they had a horrible menopause, but they went on the pill or hrt and felt better immediately. I so wish it was that quick and simple for us. You are going to find answers. It's unfortunately taking us a little longer, but we'll get there.

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2016, 04:12:13 PM »

Hi Lisab

We are suffering aren't we. I think we're both struggling with getting out the house too? I saw your recent post and really empathised with you.

Though I'm a little different to you in that my periods never stopped. They got a bit lighter, and started only lasting 3 days rather than 5-6, but they were still regular. So I don't think my oestrogen levels could ever have been that low?

I certainly have never suffered with hot flushes or any vaginal dryness which are classic signs of low oestrogen.

BrightLight

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2016, 04:23:55 PM »

I just wanted to add more of my own experience here with the caveat that we are all different. I was told I was close to menopause, I presumed that meant low estrogen - now I know that it means the balance is off and maybe it is lower, but not too low because I am having periods (over 18 months now, since I was told I would not have many more). I also have fibroids, these are classically a sign of a hormone imbalance, probably ongoing for years.  I also suffer anxiety and have felt quite low at times, I do think low hormones are related to the depression part, but I think it's a lack of ovulation and low progesterone BUT I have ridden it out and it's OK.  When I get symptoms, I do know it's the rise and fall of estrogen, mostly too high and I feel sick, bloated, panicky, digestion goes, skin does weird things, confidence plummets.........I think the fear of more change made the changes seem bigger, what I am saying is the fear of menopause and hormonal change made my anxiety much much worse. Also I know in my hearts of heart that anxiety and unresolved emotional issues really are the destabalising factor - not the hormones, they are sorting themselves out for now.

Really, I urge you to look at the most pressing symptoms and focus on that and I really hope you feel better or on the right road very very soon. Mental health is not respected enough in my opinion and I have a bit of a need to encourage and give hope to the treatment and acknowledgement of it x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2016, 04:25:24 PM »

I agree with Coldethyl.  Maybe your body is over-loaded with HRT - perhaps stopping it to allow your oestrogen levels to even out a bit?  Think back to why you started it initially?

Lizab

« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2016, 04:36:18 PM »

I don't know. I had had hot flashes for years, but they were never bothersome enough to even think to mention it to a doctor until after my periods stopped. I had bouts of vaginal dryness, but again, it was sporadic and I never thought to see a doctor. I bought lube and shoved a handful in my drawers anytime it was particularly bothersome. It never lasted more than a few days. But my periods had been crazy heavy and extended. My last 3 or 4 regular monthly periods were very light and short. So I would guess you were on your way, but who knows? Maybe it was just a blip? I think I could have carried on through the "typical" meno symptoms. It was the drastic change in my mood and energy that sent me to the doctor for it, and even then I thought it was simply anxiety. It was my doctor who guessed something physiological was causing it, and my gynecologist had already determined 2 years before that I was in peri. The reason I'm recounting all these details is that most of them I didn't view as a problem and only recognized them as symptoms in hindsight.  Maybe you have had some symptoms, but you're a strong one too and didn't pay any mind to them? Ladies on the forum mention things that still take me by surprise like "Hey! I had that!" I never thought to connect. I guess one question is what made you start hrt to begin with? Did the hrt ever help it at all? If not, maybe you're right, maybe you've been chasing the wrong thing.

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2016, 05:04:03 PM »

I think you speak such sense Brightlight, thank you.

I completely identify with extra fear being caused by the constant changes, and I dislike change even under normal circumstances.

I have also struggled with nausea, bloating and digestive issues for the last couple of months. And that constant underlying panic which saps your will to live.

Kate50

« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2016, 05:15:47 PM »

Why have you been giving Quetiapine isn't that an anti psychotic?  Bit strong that, my daughter had this briefly and it sent her crazy. Sorry to be so dramatic.

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2016, 05:16:01 PM »

I agree with Brightlight - I am in fear of the peri menopause. It's almost like "how can I fight what I can't control?" Then that causes me to despair.

GRL - what is your support network like? Do you have someone with you in the day?

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2016, 05:37:49 PM »

Hi Lisab

Looking back the only symptoms I ever had was noticing my periods were a bit lighter and shorter. Also my PMS was worse.

It was when I suddenly started suffering with horrible random anxiety that I consulted my GP. But at that same time I had been under a lot of stress and worry for well over a year. So hormones never crossed my mind. I started Sertraline whichade my anxiety worse, so after  a month I swapped to Amitriptyline and after a while everything settled down.

It was only months later when I stumbled across this place and Studd's website that I joined the dots between my PMS and PND, and now getting anxiety and depression in my early 40s.

So I started down the path of stopping ADs and trying HRT to try and help. But every month I still got roughly 10 really bad days per month where I was really low and felt hopeless, plus nasty anxiety. Some months it was as much as 20 bad days, other months maybe just 7.

But the bad days were never in a set pattern that neatly linked to my withdrawal bleed. I kept a diary but could never establish a pattern really.

So I don't know as HRT ever helped.

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2016, 05:40:06 PM »

Kate50 at a low dose it's often used as an adjunct to a regular AD to boost things and to help with severe anxiety.

At much higher doses it is used for bi polar etc.

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2016, 05:41:30 PM »

I am lucky to have a good support network Mis71Mum, thank goodness.

Kathleen

« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2016, 05:51:58 PM »

Hello GypsyRoseLee.

I'm another forum member who has been wondering how you were doing. You clearly have lots of friends here who are rooting for you and I hope that brings you some comfort.

I am as perplexed by this hormonal chaos as the next person and  perhaps we should consult endocrinologists as well as ( or even instead of) other medical professionals!

I think the ladies have given some good advice and I can't improve on any of it but I wanted to send hugs and best wishes. Hang in there, I've had desperate times too and they do pass.

Take care.

K.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5