Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Progesterone rotation - causing panic attacks  (Read 6216 times)

DEETLE

Progesterone rotation - causing panic attacks
« on: April 24, 2016, 04:33:01 PM »

Im so thankful for everyone here.  I have learned so much already.  I am working on getting my progesterone pills from the pharmacy.  but in the meantime my doctor had me taking a progesterone cream everyday (before i found this forum) I then read here to only take it for about 12 days on a cycle..  I had been taking it for 19 days at that point.  ever since I stopped it I am having a serious problems with panic attacks/insomnia??   I have read that some people get a withdraw from stopping the progesterone because of its calming nature (I felt really good on it for the 1st week) and that if this happens you should take it continually?  My periods are almost non existent and my doctor did tell me to take it daily...  But I could really use everyones feedback here??
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 09:44:35 PM by DEETLE »

dangermouse

Re: Progesterone rotation - causing panic attacks
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2016, 04:55:35 PM »

All drugs that you suddenly stop can give a rebound effect where you feel much worse than you did whilst on it, including oestrogen and progesterone. However, it should be quite short-lived and will calm down once the receptors normalise. Its believed to be from where your body is trying to counteract the drug effect by laying down extra opposing receptors, as it will always try to fight what you are artificially trying to do to it in an effort to maintain homeostasis.

If you are oestrogen-dominant then everyday progesterone will make you feel better (to help remove some of the excess oestrogen) and if you are oestrogen deficient then cyclical will work better so that it doesn't impact further on your dwindling oestrogen levels. Perhaps try both and see which you prefer. The fact it made you feel better suggests you need more of it at this stage perhaps?

DEETLE

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2016, 06:52:27 PM »

the reason I ask it because I don't see anyone on here that writes about having withdraw symptoms when they stop the progesterone for two weeks??

Additionally, I am healing from benzos and it has been horrific for me (doctor gave to me for insomnia which now i realize was peri meno and should have had HRT instead)   The benzo did severe damage to my Gaba receptors doctor said and since the progesterone hits the same receptor I am wondering if it will ruin my healing?  hope this is making sense  (alot of people don't have trouble coming off a benzo but it damaged me real badly..  )

Lizab

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2016, 07:15:27 PM »

Deetle, I don't know if you ever answered the question about how your periods have been before hrt. Were you without periods for at least a year? Were they still regular? Problematic? It is standard to take progesterone cyclically unless you are postmenopausal, without periods for at least a year. Or after taking it cyclically for a year, you would then switch to taking it continually. There are some here that take it continually or near continually while still in perimenopause, but that is not how it's normally prescribed.

There are lots of threads on here that mention the mood plummet after finishing a course of progesterone. It's common.

Take what I say here with a grain of salt, because I'm still not completely balanced. I also feel better on the progesterone, and I did not get a noticeable withdrawal immediately after the progesterone, but my panic is worse during all of my estrogen only days. By all that I've read, that would indicate too much estrogen, but actually when I increased the estrogen the panic hasn't been as bad. I take progesterone 10 of every 28 days. Since increasing the estrogen, my anxiety didn't ramp up until 5 days before time to begin progesterone again. It's possible that you still need more estrogen. This is where you just have to take a guess, give your hrt regimen a fair chance to do its work, then make changes if necessary. If the increased estrogen doesn't continue to improve my wellness, I'll be asking for continuous progesterone before my one year mark too.

dangermouse

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2016, 08:47:59 PM »

Elizabeth Vliet has written that progesterone produces withdrawal effects similar to other meds that act on the GABA receptors, such as benzos. The withdrawal syndrome includes increased anxiety, restlessness, insomnia and tearfulness. She says the GABA binding is why high doses can help decrease anxiety but that they mimic high doses of benzos so will eventually cause worsening of moods.

In this instance it may be better for you to keep your progesterone balanced with oestrogen so you're having more stable dosing as your GABA receptors have already been compromised. At least it explains your severe withdrawal symptoms.

It ain't simple playing around with hormones that's for sure!

DEETLE

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2016, 08:52:01 PM »

thank you

dangermouse  - it sounds like you have some knowledge on benzo damage?  do you know if using progesterone before I am healed from Gaba damage will further damage those receptors?  Lots of people healing from benzos say to stay away from progesterone until fully healed??  not sure if thats true or not

dangermouse

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2016, 09:50:51 PM »

No sorry I don't, I just happened to coincidently read an excerpt about it earlier!

Personally, I had a very bad reaction to a course of Sudafed (before I knew my symptoms were perimenopause) and I believe pseudephedrine has a go at the GABA receptors too and can take a few months to heal.

I've no idea if you should avoid prog completely as it really depends how bad your hormone symptoms are and what your priorities are. If you're in perimenopause then, like a lot of us here, it's really about finding something you can get through the day with as our natural fluctuations are so volatile at this stage, it's hard to find that perfect spot. Then you can look forward to when things calm down after menopause when it's simpler to top up what you need.

Dana

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2016, 07:05:41 AM »

thank you

dangermouse  - it sounds like you have some knowledge on benzo damage?  do you know if using progesterone before I am healed from Gaba damage will further damage those receptors?  Lots of people healing from benzos say to stay away from progesterone until fully healed??  not sure if thats true or not

I think when people talk about keeping away from prog when using benzos, it's more the willy nilly use of progesterone creams that are sold online and OTC. If you are using HRT, and have a uterus, it's imperative to use progesterone, but you only ever need to use just enough to oppose the estrogen. Too much can cause a lot of serious side effects, even for people not taking benzos.