Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Oestrogel v Patches  (Read 6416 times)

chattygal

Oestrogel v Patches
« on: May 21, 2016, 04:06:00 PM »

This may be an old question and I've search for answers but does anyone know if I get less Oestrogen from one pump of Oestrogel than a Evorel 50 patch? I'm 65 and have a Mirena coil fitted for the progesterone hit and I'm trying to use the minimum amount of oestrogen to keep menopause symptoms at bay and one pump is a success but if I'm reading right it has more oestrogen in than the 50 patch. I asked my doctor but she said it doesn't really follow so I'm confused
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 08:16:02 AM by chattygal »

Tempest

Re: Oestrogel v Patchest
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2016, 04:30:37 PM »

I'd kinda like an idea too, chattygal! I've never tried patches but would like some idea of what you're getting in patch equivalent for 1 dose of Estrogel.

I'm on Estrogel at the moment, but using 2 pumps and haven't used any HRT for over a year following my BSO (no ovaries, also hysterectomy 10 years ago). I feel like 2 pumps for me is too much!

Hopefully one of the lovely ladies 'in the know' will be along shortly to help you out!😀

chattygal

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2016, 04:50:09 PM »

Tempest you could try one pump and see if it keeps  any menopause symptoms at bay.  It may take a couple of weeks for your body to adjust but it could be worth a try. I have no symptoms and sleep well,which was a main problem of mine. Also with the 50 patch my boobs got sore which doesn't happen now. It's all very confusing as I don't want more oestrogen than I need

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2016, 05:10:14 PM »

Hi chattygal - the answer is a pear! It depends on how well you personally absorb the oestrogen from the different methods so low medium and high are the best rules of thumb. I would suggest that 1 pump of estrogel gives you less than a 50 mcg patch - all other things being equal. However for you it may be more - there are some women n here that achieve much higher levels of oestrogen on 1 pump than I do from 50 mcg patch! it is nothing to do with how much is in the gel or the patch! a 50 mcg patch contains more than 50 mcg - the dose is given as the amount absorbed per day. The amount of oestrogen absorbed per day from 1 pump gel is not 750 mcg (0.75 mg). If you are feeling well on the one pump and have a Mirena then that should be fine? I would say probably that a 25 mcg patch may even deliver even lower but as above it may not be the case for you. It also partly depends on the area you spread the gel. The only was you would know (your levels) is to have several blood tests on each method and take a rough average but blood tests are notoriously variable anyway.

Hurdity x

chattygal

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2016, 06:40:25 PM »

Thank you Hurdity you are a total star and explained it far better than my GP. This method of HRT seems to suit me the best of all. I've had pills and patches which both worked well for me but I had a slight thickening of the womb with them and the Mirena was suggested coupled with some form of oestrogen.