Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: How will I know if I am taking too much oestrogen ??  (Read 5228 times)

doingmyheadin!!

How will I know if I am taking too much oestrogen ??
« on: April 26, 2016, 09:15:03 AM »

Hi All ......I wonder if you knowledgeable ladies can help me .....I am 50 and had Mirena fitted 3 months ago....i do still have cycles (well I was albeit maybe three regulars couple of missed months then back to regular)....but since having the coil fitted I don't know if I am still having a cycle.???? Anyway 4weeks after fitting I had terrible night sweats and anxiety and even more painful joints....so ran to the GP and asked for Oestragel which she finally gave in and gave to me (i was armed with numerous printouts from here and NICE) ......started on the lowest dose 1pump BUT it wasn't  alleviating symptoms, so after 2weeks upped to 2pumps .... 1 in the morning and 1 in the evening which has been more suitable and though I haven't felt miraculous (i know its not a miracle cure) I do definitely feel a lot better....I think just getting some sleep helps....Well for the last couple of days I have started to get signs of leading up to ovulate ?? Wetness, clear stretchy mucous and twinges low down right side.....Can this happen whilst on Mirena ?? Anyway what if I am producing/have awoken my own oestrogen receptors ?? Should I lower the dose ?
I guess my question is as I am new to this how will i know if I go into Oestrogen Dominance ? What are the signs to look for.....I am prone to fibroids aswell.......
Its just I don't want this to start going wrong for me as I have felt a lot better these last 4weeks.....
Also can I ask How on Earth will the gel work if I go on hols when I have to apply suncream ?!?! I have been applying to my inner thighs.....will have to wait an hour for gel to work before applying suncream.....oh gawd its all a blooming kerfuffle isn't it ????
Thanks for listening
M xx

Lizab

Re: How will I know if I am taking too much oestrogen ??
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2016, 02:34:24 PM »

Hi! I can't help with these questions, but didn't want to read and run on a new member with no replies. Welcome! Someone should chime in shortly with insight.

Mary G

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2016, 02:47:31 PM »

Welcome to MM!

It actually sounds like you are doing very well at the moment.  You have a Mirena coil, managed to get hold of Oestrogel and it also seems like you are on the right dose so well done! 

I don't think I would change anything if I were you and I doubt you are overdosing on the gel.  I use two pumps of gel everyday and like you, I split the dose by 12 hours which I think works much better at keeping the levels stable.  The Mirena coil will stop your womb lining building up and you will shed automatically if it does so nothing to worry about there.

Definitely don't worry about swimming, suncream and the Oestrogel.  I swim everyday in the summer and spend tons of time on the beach, in the sea, in a pool with loads of chemicals and it's never made one iota of difference to my gel absorption.  It is very effective stuff, dries in a couple of minutes and I find I soak it up like a sponge, too well in fact!

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2016, 04:26:49 PM »

The Mirena is very good at keeping your womb lining thin and should actually reduce and prevent fibroids which is fab.
You must still be peri meno so your own hormones will be fluctuating so there will be ups and downs. However this whole thing about oestrogen dominance is a bit of a red herring that is highlighted by the companies selling progesterone creams an dI find rather suspect.  Our oestrogen levels in our fertile years can fluctuate very widely so even if your own oestrogen kicks in it really shouldn't cause too many problems.  I tend to get headaches if I'm using too high an amount of oestrogen.  The beauty of Oestrogel is that you can adjust if need be but I do warn you not to chop and change doses as this can also bring varied results and side effects.  2 pumps per day is a good amount to use and I would stick with this unless you find your flushes return and become a real problem.
The Oestrogel should be applied either morning or evening on clean dry skin - you could apply the gel in the evening before bed and the sunscreen in the morning - or if you still need to split the doses (I've never needed to do this) just allow a couple of hours before applying the sunscreen - if you are putting it on your inner thighs then you could cover that area to begin with when sunbathing.
Dg x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2016, 07:33:59 PM »

Did that answer the question  :-\

doingmyheadin!!

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2016, 09:59:33 PM »

Sorry for late reply.....Thankyou so much for the info girls it is very reassuring.....I think i feel at home here as in everyday life there are those that either don't want to talk about it all or are in denial ::).......it all seems to be shrouded in silence like something out of a Les Dawson sketch when he plays the old gossipy woman.....thanks again and speak soon
M xx

Clovie

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2016, 07:52:58 AM »

Sorry for late reply.....Thankyou so much for the info girls it is very reassuring.....I think i feel at home here as in everyday life there are those that either don't want to talk about it all or are in denial ::).......it all seems to be shrouded in silence like something out of a Les Dawson sketch when he plays the old gossipy woman.....thanks again and speak soon
M xx

Haha, This is EXACTLY my experience of it too!  :D

No-one I know of my age, 52, has EVER experienced any symptoms of peri-menopause or is post menopausal. (apparently  ;))

I don't ever mention it now but when I did, If I ever mentioned it they looked (falsely!) surprised and then soothed me like I had some terminal disease or at best was to be pitied for being 'old'.  ;D

dangermouse

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2016, 02:26:16 PM »

Oh dear, I tell everyone! i was even telling the dentist yesterday and my handyman and the man who came to fix my central heating now knows everything about the menopause. ;D

To be fair, I think a lot of women don't suffer very much like most on here do, only one other friend has but they all love talking about it all. i can imagine there are still some old fashioned attitudes out there about it though, like with depression and mental health.

deebarnes

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2016, 04:58:48 PM »

Hello Doingmyheadin!! 
I am 52 and perri menopausal and have had 2 mirena coils and throughout my time with them I have always ovulated and infact it regulated my periods for the first time in my life.. Previously i had never ever had regular periods and started using the mirena to help me with awful pmt, it did a great job.
I have always been able to feel when i ovulate so even when my periods were very scant I knew sort of where i was in my cycle because i could feel when i ovulated. 
Now the hormone has run out of the coil but im keeping it in to help with the heaviness of my periods through the menopause and i feel really great mentally. 
I have begun using Vagifem recently and after 2 months its working really well, the night itching has gone, thank goodness, and things down below are all feeling and looking alot healthier.
I cant answer your question about the dosage of the other things but i thought the coil info might help you? Good luck, Dee

Kathleen

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2016, 06:21:39 PM »

Hello doingmyheadin and welcome to the forum.

I can't help your question unfortunately but I did want to say that it's good to talk and the ladies on MM are a huge source of help and advice.

dangermouse - I also talk menopause to all and sundry, why not, it's part of life! It even came up in conversation with our builder yesterday as it seems his wife is suffering and he's not sure how to help and earlier today the electrician said he had experienced hot flushes as a result of prostate cancer treatment. Interestingly when I said ' oh you know how I feel then ' he  rolled his eyes and muttered ' tell me about it!' Lol.

Like I say, it's good to talk, even the men seem to find comfort in knowing they are not alone when struggling  with horrible hormones!

Take care.

K.

Dana

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2016, 12:35:35 AM »

Interesting you should say that Kathleen. One of the most interesting conversations I had about meno was with a 50-ish yo single male friend of mine. He was extremely interested in what I was experiencing because his sister, who is in her 40s, was starting to experience a lot of symptoms. I hope what I told him was a help to her.

I think sometimes we under-estimate men. There are some who have no interest and try to belittle us because of our hormones, but there are also a lot of caring men who just want to know what they can do to help. Sadly some of the most judgemental and disinterested people I've come across are women.....

I have a friend who has just turned 49 and she is starting to feel really crappy. I feel so bad for her, because her journey of "discovery and confusion" is just starting. I've told her to never hesitate to tell me all about what she's feeling. Hopefully I can make her experience a little easier.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 12:38:15 AM by Dana »

Dediva Ann

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2016, 05:39:52 PM »

It makes so much difference to be able to share experiences I have learnt just from my few days on here.  I only have one friend (a couple of years older than me, who has been going through hell) who I can discuss this stuff with.  It's not that I am coy about talking about it - just seems that most people don't want to know unless it affects them.

I'd be completely out of my depth attempting to offer you any advice on your post but "oh gawd its all a blooming kerfuffle isn't it!" did make me lol!

Pleased also to see (as I think gel might be a better HRT route for me in the longer term) that it absorbs and dries so quickly as I swim every day.