Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Progesterone  (Read 1353 times)

Anjia

Progesterone
« on: April 20, 2016, 01:55:05 PM »

I had a full hysterectomy in 2012 and have since been on estrogen only HRT  I am now told i  also need a small amount of progesterone as I suffer from bad menopausal anxiety, after being told I only need estrogen by my gp I am a bit confused has anyone got anymore info on this please.

Hurdity

Re: Progesterone
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2016, 05:03:08 PM »

What HRT are you taking and what dose? As far as we know there is no evidence that we need extra progesterone after the menopause because it is still being made by your adrenals (I think!), and is only needed at high levels during ovulation, conception and pregnancy. When you say full hysterectomy do you mean with ovary removal? It may be that you need testosterone rather than progesterone as production of this reduces after ovary removal.

Progesterone has a sedative effect - it's part of its function - and some women seem to like this when they take Utrogestan (bio-identical progesterone) as part of HRT. Most of us though - hate it - as it seems to interfere with the beneficial effects of oestrogen for many of us and generally dulls the senses!

There is information about this here (scroll down for info about T):
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/aftermeno.php

and testosterone here:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/testosterone.php

Is there any pattern to your anxiety? Is there anything in your life which may be causing it? Have you tried other techniques to deal with it - nomorepanic, mindfulness, various coping strategies that have been posted about on here, and books too have been recommended?

Hurdity x

Anjia

Re: Progesterone
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2016, 05:51:08 PM »

Hi Hurdity I an on 50mcg Estrodot and have been doing fine and yes I have had a stressful time this part few weeks. Thinking that its down to menopause is I no, not always the case its just something to blame I suppose its just that a friend of mine mentioned I may need progesterone as anxiety when it does come is crippling.