Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Pain behind ear  (Read 4488 times)

Joyce

Pain behind ear
« on: April 19, 2016, 05:11:29 PM »

Don't know if anyone can help.  I have a pain behind my right ear, at base of skull. Teeth OK, ear OK. GP reluctant to give me stronger pain relief or give me something for nerve pain, like Amitriptyline. I've to take paracetamol 4 times daily & ibuprofen in between if really bad. Pain relief helps, though not curing the actual problem, whatever that may be. I suspected some form of neuralgia, which she said it could be. I had facial neuralgia about 10 years ago, which was just as painful. This pain sometimes shoots up through my head also.
Anyone suffered with similar?

Halfpint

Re: Pain behind ear
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2016, 06:58:52 PM »

Hi, yes I suffer with this and mine is right ear as well and I also get the shooting pain. Never been to the Dr about it though but did go about neck and shoulder pain which he said was arthritis. When I get the pain behind my ear, it's normally when my neck is stiff so I do some exercises a physio friend gave me. You need to stretch your neck muscles.

Sit on a chair with your hands palm up underneath your thighs. Try to touch your right ear to your right shoulder blade. You will probably feel it stretching. Repeat on left side. Do this on each side about 10 times. I also slowly turn my head to look over my shoulder on each side. I touch my chin to my chest.

It's quite hard to type what to do but if you go on Youtube there are lots of videos showing how to stretch the neck.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2016, 07:23:41 PM »

Neuralgia is specific, from a specific nerve root with a specific cause; it is sudden, shockingly painful and there's no warning.

I get a dull ache behind the ear sometimes, in that bony part.  Fortuantely it doesn't last.  My neck is sore all the while and I try to remember the above movements to keep muscles supple. 

countrybumpkin

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2016, 09:30:30 PM »

I had glosso pharangeal neuralgia about 4 years ago that was strange. I got the awful shooting nerve pain in my cheek that ended with a big burp ;D  At first I was told it was trigeminal neuralgia but it didn't fit because of the burp so Dr spoke to a neurologist who said it ws the glosso pharangeal nerve instead.  I had about 3 attacks lasting a couple of weeks over a year then never had it again.

I have very damaged neck disc and can get nerve type pain in my temple and scalp on one side but it rarely lasts more than a few days.

At present I have nerve pain in my back and down left leg due to disc problems so totally sympathise with the pain you are in.

Joyce

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2016, 10:31:29 PM »

Always at it's worst from when I get up in the morning until mid afternoon, when it usually eases. Then next morning off I go again. She was as flummoxed as I am. No infection, no wax build up. I never do things by half measures.  ;D

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2016, 02:52:33 PM »

Thanks for that info., I learns something new every day I does, if I keep me ears open  ;D

How was it this morning  :-\

Joyce

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2016, 03:05:11 PM »

Not been so bad today thanks, not needed so many pain killers. It's still there in the background, but bearable.

Halfpint

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2016, 03:58:06 PM »

I would think its related to your neck. Try a memory foam pillow.