Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: When to increase your HRT??  (Read 3428 times)

Beaker

When to increase your HRT??
« on: April 17, 2016, 02:39:41 PM »

I am on Prempak-C 0.65mg.

Over the past 3 month, I have started waking at night feeling hot (not a full blown hot flush like pre-HRT days) and suffer the odd hot flush during the day, particularly when I am feeling stressed.

Do others think that these symptoms are enough indication to increase to the next level of HRT (i.e. Prempak-C 1.25mg) or would you believe in holding out for longer??

Beaker

Re: When to increase your HRT??
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2016, 02:58:06 PM »

Hi everyone,

Sorry - I've just realised that this topic has already been covered before!!

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2016, 03:00:04 PM »

That's ok - don't apologise.  It's sometimes difficult to find the exact topic you might want and, anyway, it brings it back to the forefront again for those also wanting an answer.

Taz x  :)

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2016, 03:54:21 PM »

Hi and welcome to MM Beaker
It is sometimes good to revisit certain topics as we are always getting new members and different view points etc.
I think increasing the dosage isn't always the answer - the odd flush or night sweat does'nt necessarily mean more oestrogen will help as more estrogen will usually mean more progesterone which could bring more side effects.
If there is a definite increase in all meno symptoms and they don't feel under control then moving to a higher dose may be necessary.  A lot will depend on how old you and whether you have now moved from peri to post meno etc. or simply gone deeper into post meno when the oestrogen levels may have dropped or bottomed out.  Ideally we all need to be on the lowest dose that keeps MOST of the flushes and night sweats under control. 
I am now 60, still using a low dose of HRT and I do get occasional flushes and feel more hot and sweaty generally but the severity, frequency of these flushes and night sweats are far less than they would be if I was not on HRT - I want the benefits without the negatives of the higher doses.  Dg x

Beaker

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2016, 08:15:12 PM »

That's ok - don't apologise.  It's sometimes difficult to find the exact topic you might want and, anyway, it brings it back to the forefront again for those also wanting an answer.

Taz x  :)

Thanks Taz2

Beaker

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2016, 08:23:25 PM »

Hi and welcome to MM Beaker
It is sometimes good to revisit certain topics as we are always getting new members and different view points etc.
I think increasing the dosage isn't always the answer - the odd flush or night sweat does'nt necessarily mean more oestrogen will help as more estrogen will usually mean more progesterone which could bring more side effects.
If there is a definite increase in all meno symptoms and they don't feel under control then moving to a higher dose may be necessary.  A lot will depend on how old you and whether you have now moved from peri to post meno etc. or simply gone deeper into post meno when the oestrogen levels may have dropped or bottomed out.  Ideally we all need to be on the lowest dose that keeps MOST of the flushes and night sweats under control. 
I am now 60, still using a low dose of HRT and I do get occasional flushes and feel more hot and sweaty generally but the severity, frequency of these flushes and night sweats are far less than they would be if I was not on HRT - I want the benefits without the negatives of the higher doses.  Dg x

I appreciate this Dancinggirl.  I hadn't thought of taking the lowest effective dose.  I'm a bit complicated in that I am atypical PCOS (ie regular periods and BMI 21 but with cystic ovaries) now aged 49 having started menopausal symptoms approx. 2 years ago. Now periods irregular and increasing symptoms. I think I'll stick it out for a bit longer then discuss with my GP if things become unbearable. Thanks for the welcome!