Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: possible newbie but not sure  (Read 4959 times)

missyb

Re: possible newbie but not sure
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2016, 04:03:49 PM »

Thank you for that  :).  I've joined a webpage where I can start logging my symptoms, although it's probably just as easy for me to write it down I thought it would be handy to pull it off in report style.

Yes it's Vagifem she prescribed for me so will give that a go starting tonight? I assume you take it at night?

Well my periods are odd, this is just an example of the last few months.  Currently on day 35 this is the 3rd time in that past few years that I've had a long gap.  I usually have about 15-16 periods a year.

24, 23, 24, 28, 22, 23, 21, 26, 21, 23, 24, 23, 21, 23, 23, 18.

Although seeing them written down like that they may not look as irregular as I though they originally were  :-\

Dancinggirl

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2016, 04:14:39 PM »

missyb - Don't be obsessive about all this - just keep simple records.  I think if you start getting longer gaps on a regular basis then would indicate you are heading into peri meno. You also need to log what the periods are like - I used to get 2-3 together with 3-5 days between, then get a long gap of 6-8 weeks; the periods were accompanied by horrid headaches that lasted for many days - my boobs were so sore I was convinced I was pregnant!!!
You use the Vagifem each night for 2 weeks and then twice a week after that.  You may find using something like Sylk beneficial as well - this just gives a little extra moisturisation and keeps things more comfortable.
Try to relax and not worry about all this yet - you are getting quite regular periods so I doubt you are oestrogen deficient yet. DG x

missyb

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2016, 04:22:52 PM »

Will do, I just record them on an app as I have a head like a sieve lol. 

Lizab

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2016, 05:22:42 PM »

I echo everything dancinggirl said. Also, have you looked at the STRAW guidelines for stages of menopause. That may give you some clarity about your irregular cycles. This looks very early peri to me, and that may be why you're doctor made the comment about not saying your in menopause. It can go on like this for years before you move really transition into menopause. That's not to say you shouldn't be offered treatment for relief of symptoms. The symptoms are real, and some women get them early, some late, for some it goes for years, and some it's very quick.

If you begin missing periods altogether, like 60 day or longer cycles, I would push for FSH testing. They don't like to do it because results can vary, but as DG said, premature menopause is a little different because you need to know. My understanding is that it isn't "natural" to have low estrogen before the typical menopause age, so if you are heading into menopause, the FSH can help determine that. Really the only absolute way to know is if your periods stop altogether for a year, but by then your body will have been already been lacking in that estrogen.

missyb

« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2016, 08:46:41 PM »

No I haven't heard of the STRAW guidelines but I will take a look thank you.

missyb

« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2016, 09:53:54 PM »

Well blood test for thyroid came back normal, slightly elevated white blood cell count though so she wants me to have another test in a month, no idea why its slightly high as i've not been ill but probably one of those things.

Still no period either  ::)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2016, 10:09:54 PM »

Hormone blood tests are reliably un-reliable  ::).  Have you read the 'daisy' web-site?

At least your GP isn't dismissive.  You need oestrogen to keep bones and heart healthy.  Either Vagifem or Ovestin1g to ease any bladder issues as dryness down there can mimic urine infections.  Vagifem as per instructions in the packet  ;) is to be inserted vaginally every night for 2-3 weeks until symptoms improve and then several times each week.  Every week.

My periods waxed and waned over 2-3 years from age 49-ish then stopped.  I had my last bleed in May 2002. 

missyb

« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2016, 10:21:20 PM »

No not heard of the daisy website but will check it out.

Not sure how long Vagifem takes to work but I've gone two nights now without getting up to the toilet during the night which is great. Might be a co incidence though but fingers crossed.
Pages: 1 [2]