Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: BP up so no more HRT until sorted - eeek!  (Read 12630 times)

Hurdity

Re: BP up so no more HRT until sorted - eeek!
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2016, 04:35:27 PM »

Hi Taz

Belatedly catching up with threads! Sorry to hear about your BP problems and lack of HRT. Poor you!

My husband had high blood pressure readings at the docs and they gave him a home monitor - and it was so much lower! After this he bought a home monitor some time ago - an Omron like yours - so keeps checking it now and again - it is rarely at a high level now which just shows the white coat syndrome thing must be a factor and perhaps was also in your case to some extent.

He drastically cut out/down salt and this alone reduced his BP even from the home monitor readings - so he keeps this in check. I have pretty low blood pressure (this morning was 106/60something) so I just add salt to everything and have the problem of feeling dizzy sometimes! You sound like you know what you should do (ie take more exercise, keep weight down, reduce alcohol etc) but I can see it's a blow to have to do this all the time. I agree with what's been said somewhere - that if you can get it down to the approx right level like 120 something over 70 something then if your doc will prescribe HRT again for you - without too much of a break - you will feel so much better and perhaps more motivated to keep up the exercise. I sympathise re the alcohol!

One suggestion re the fibre - do you like eggs? If so how about having a one or two of boiled eggs for breakfast most mornings as well as what you normally have or cut down the carbs at the same time? Hope this isn't TMI but I eat lots of fruit and veg and therefore lots of fibre ( used ot eat lots of wholemeal bread, muesli etc too). I was always erm somewhat loose every morning. However since going on a diet to lose weight - where I cut down carbs/sugar and increased protein - I have been eating loads more eggs - and usually have one or two for breakfast - and this has totally changed my morning habit (don't want to go into details!!). This is despite not reducing (and maybe even increasing) the amount of veg/nuts I eat. Just a thought it might improve IBS? If you hate eggs - just ignore all of this  ;D !!!

Anyway I do hope you manage to reduce it soon without too much sacrifice so that you can restart oestrogen to keep happy and healthy :)

:bighug:

Hurdity x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2016, 07:25:38 PM »

I can't tolerate eggs much unless they are in cakes. 

Taz2

« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2016, 09:04:13 PM »

Thanks Hurdity. I used to love eggs but the last few times I ate them they made me sick a few hours later. I miss them though so might just try them again. They used to make me sick when I was a baby and toddler. I must be regressing!!  ;D

Blood pressure has behaved today - averaging 114/75 with a resting pulse of 65. Not sure what's going on.

Taz x

Joyce

« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2016, 09:19:14 PM »

Sods law. Mine has a habit of going up at doctor's. But it's been behaving of late. Doctor has promised not to wear his devil horns & white  coat, next time he checks my BP.  ;D

zelda

« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2016, 10:28:57 AM »

Mine at the doctors can be anything from 160/90 - 205/100..... yet when I had a 24 hour monitor despite it being very uncomfortable and not sleeping a wink the outcome was 120/75.

Taz2

« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2016, 10:36:02 AM »

That's good to know. I didn't realise you could have a monitor for a twenty four period. I've only ever had one which you use for three days taking your blood pressure three times on each of the three days? I remember having a heart monitor though which was worn for forty-eight hours - that was really difficult to sleep with.

It's averaging out at 121/75 at the minute which is obviously fine but, to me, it seems more important to find out how high it's going when it spikes rather than an overall average taken while you are sitting still, not within thirty minutes of eating or drinking, or having a bath or shower, or exercising....

Pulse rate still showing as "athlete" - still giving me a laugh!

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2016, 02:49:38 PM »

You're walking more than Taz  ;D.

I can't tolerate eggs in real form.  They lay in my gut due to my IBS - it was 1 of my first symptoms years ago.  I simply can't digest them.

After having 3 Wisdom teeth removed it was suggested that 'we could have a boiled egg for breakfast' by the Nurse - I told her where to put her boiled egg  >:(.  At least she did warm the towel on the old fashioned radiator before I stepped from the bath ……… (apparently 'we could have a bath'  :-\ )

Hurdity

« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2016, 06:27:58 PM »

Re the blood pressure - Taz - we all vary and have spikes when we're doing active stuff/drinking which is why it is always taken in a standard way so that readings are comparable and with the standard measurements. I am sure the  different values and ranges will have been worked out on this basis ie if you are 120/70 at rest then your spikes will be fine because that's normal if you see what I mean. It's if your resting blood pressure is where other people's spike to, that would be a cause for concern - I would say - so sounds like you're doing all the right things :) - well your BP is behaving anyway!!. Roll on the HRT eh?  ::)

Hurdity x

Cazikins

« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2016, 08:09:47 PM »

I had a 24 hour BP monitor fitted when I was being checked out for glaucoma as there was some question over the pressure in one eye  :o :o. I had the band/pump thingy at the top of the arm, & the reader/monitor strapped round my tummy. I wasn't allowed to get it wet so had to have an old fashioned strip wash that night.  ;D ;D
The damn thing went off every 20 minutes during the day, & every hour during the night.

But at least it gives an overall average reading & as it turned out mine was pretty normal.

Cazi x

Cazikins

« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2016, 11:13:19 PM »

Taz - how did you get on with the monitor?
Hopefully it went ok & you got good results.
Cazi x

CLKD

« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2016, 04:12:46 PM »

I've never shown any readings on the one Himself bought.   ::)

Pages: 1 2 [3]