Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: BP up so no more HRT until sorted - eeek!  (Read 12629 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: BP up so no more HRT until sorted - eeek!
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2016, 08:14:02 PM »

Make that list Taz  ;)

wombat62

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2016, 01:20:17 AM »

Hi Taz

Sorry to hear you've been taken off of HRT due to bp.

My bp went up when I put on weight and probably due to meno, before it was on the low side but they've never questioned it as far as HRT goes although as you say the age thing comes into play.

Gentle walking and yoga, beetroot juice and hibiscus tea are all good for lowering the blood pressure. If you've got IBS d then maybe you need some more fibre to soak up the excess water?

Unless you have a physical problem with your heart then you should be able lower it by exercise and diet, make time for yourself! You'll be far better off having HRT and a bit of bp than no sleep with flushes which will also stress your body out and in turn raise your bp! Can't win!!

Taz2

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2016, 06:43:45 AM »

Thanks Wombat.

It's funny you mention beetroot. I love it but have cut it out over the last year as it does upset my stomach. I hadn't heard that fibre could absorb water - I just know that fibre is what seems to set the IBS off. I'm going to have a real think as to how to manage more fruit and veg without being stuck in the loo for hours each morning. I have a two mile route I use for my walk - something that I did used to do much more often - and that takes thirty minutes which should be doable once I get into the routine of it. We also have a swimming pool just down the road and I know that's good exercise. I know I need to take control of it and hopefully then the HRT will once again be mine. As you say hot flushes/sweats and no sleep isn't much fun and I'm sure the stress of that is even worse for BP!!

My husband wanted to test his yesterday. He rarely visits the doc so wasn't sure when it was last taken as he's missed his last couple of COPD appointments. He's around a stone overweight, smokes small cigars most days, eats chocolate every day, doesn't eat fruit, goes to the pub five nights a week for three pints each time (weekly unit of 30), plays golf once a week, works a fifty hour week and it was..... 114/72. He reckons that if he'd done all the things I'd been telling him about to help keep your blood pressure in check his would be so low that he'd have died.  ;D

Taz x

Ju Ju

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2016, 08:26:37 AM »

My Dad doesn't know what exercise is, loves his food, though has never smoked or drunk a lot of alcohol. His BP is in the lower end of ideal. He will be 91 next month and reasonably healthy. He reckons its genetic as this was the case with many of family members. I suspect he would agree with your DH.

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2016, 08:44:57 AM »

Hi Taz

That could explain it then, I'm 44. Not been prescribed any BP meds.

I checked mine this morning and it was 142/93 so that's quite a low reading for me.

Caffeine is also something that needs to be avoided too for BP reasons.

Taz2

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2016, 08:57:33 AM »

I've found the Blood Pressure site to have good information without sounding too "preachy" . According to their chart I'm in the "pre" range. The acceptable levels were changed over ten years ago I think so what would have been ok in the past suddenly wasn't. We need to aim for no more than 120/80 http://www.bloodpressureuk.org/BloodPressureandyou/Thebasics/Bloodpressurechart. You only need one number in the red to have high blood pressure so a reading of say 140/70 would still count as high.

I was just going to set off for my walk (not at work on Mondays) and it's started to rain  ;D

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2016, 11:35:28 AM »

…….. and  ;D ………… get those wet weathers on  ::) though I remember owning a dog who could smell rain and would refuse to go out even if the sun was shining.  Within 30 mins. the heavens would open  ::)

Hoovering then Taz?  ;)

Taz2

« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2016, 11:38:51 AM »

Wet weathers? I wonder what those are! Not having a dog I don't need such things..  ;D

I've just got back - the rain stopped so zoomed around my two mile course in 25 minutes which seems to be quite good going! I might start a daily walk thread!

I've just checked what my resting pulse of 58 means for my age group and it's come up with "Athlete" - best laugh I've had all year!!

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2016, 11:40:51 AM »

Crikey!  I couldn't have done 2 miles in that time at my Peak!

We have a cycling thread somewhere  ::)

Taz2

« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2016, 11:43:14 AM »

It has to be brisk walking to get your heart rate up enough. You have to aim for four miles an hour so that works out at two miles in half an hour. Best not to stop if possible - just keep going.  :scottie:

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2016, 11:52:07 AM »

When walking a spaniel it's impossible to walk briskly  ;D 'cos they want to stop and sniff  ::)

Had a gentle walk earlier ………

wombat62

« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2016, 10:51:50 PM »

Glad you enjoyed your walk!

I also normally have the heart rate of an athlete for my age although I do partake in aerobics 3 times a week plus walks. It's all over the place at the moment after my op, I think "next step" anxiety has kicked in.

Regarding the fibre, I think they always say fibre is the answer to everything! I assume they mean that it will mop up excess water in the bowel which causes the loose tum and helps to form things properly. I think you just have to find the right sort of fibre as too much can irritate the guts in sensitive people, always a catch 22! Maybe seeing a dietician might help? I use a fibre which is physillium,  (can't spell it!) husks and linseeds which is also good for keeping cholesterol down and is better than hard fibres like bran.

Milamam

« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2016, 03:18:58 PM »

Hi Taz,
I, too, had high blood pressure on month three from the start of HRT ( last year). Never had high readings before, I tend to be on the lower side. So quite unexpected. I was 140/90 to 160/90 without any other reason but either peri or the HRT itself.
My doctor put me on a low dose BB for a month, BP went back to normal and I stopped the medication. I have not stopped HRT - but I am youger so that is probably the reason doc didn't think its necessary.
I have also heard that a teaspoonful of cinnamon a day can be a great alternative to meds but have never tried it!
I hope you will be able to get back on estrogen very soon!

Milamam

Noodle

« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2016, 09:42:20 PM »

Hiya Taz2

I've had bp issues for a few years , I do 100 mg of losartan per day and my target is 130/85.  My doc was happy to prescribe hrt if I could keep it in this range.  I always have higher readings than this at the surgery as I have white coat syndrome.  Docs were OK for me to do my own readings 2 x 2 times a day to give a 'true' reading, When overall they were in this limit I was allowed hrt. Hrt been good so far. 

Ask what the target is. Take your own averages through the day. Ask them what your target is. You get the picture.
Noodle.  x

Linsey44

« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2016, 09:59:48 PM »

Hi Taz.

Sorry you are having BP issues, i see you have a link to bloodpressure.org.  Good site, useful reading other peoples stories.

Have you recently started eating or drinking anything with  licquorice? Lots of herbal tea have licquorice and its known to raise blood pressure especially if taken regularly.

Blueberries  and beetroots are good for lowering blood pressure, good nutrition and exercise ahould help get you back in a steady range.  Make sure you dont drink tea or coffee before getting gp to do your blood pressure.  Im  pretty, sure green tea is actually beneficial for blood pressure as its lower caffeine than normal tea.

Good luck

Linsey x

Pages: 1 [2] 3