Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Do you ever wonder whether this really is just anxiety???  (Read 11147 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Do you ever wonder whether this really is just anxiety???
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2016, 02:02:54 PM »

Can anyone explain the difference between physical and psychological anxiety  :-\.  It all stems from the 'flight/fight' response which goes back to our Cave Man days!  Without f/f survival would be less likely.  When it takes over that's when it becomes a problem.

Psychologist once asked 'what do you think about B4 panic begins' and the answer is, nowt.  It happens.  Instantly in the gut/belly button area.  If I think about having a panic attack, I am unable to reproduce those feelings  :-\.  I walked out on the therapist because she would not accept that I didn't think about something in order to cause panic attacks  >:(

Halfpint

CLKD

« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2016, 06:54:46 PM »

I rarely read anything by the Daily Mail : I know that the brain can make the body ill, it's the fight/flight response.  The article doesn't answer my question.

I've had psychological counselling intermittently for years …….. knowing what causes my problems does not ease anxiety when it floors me  :'(

"some of your anxiety is physical rather than psychological. ……… "   :-\
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 06:59:28 PM by CLKD »

Lizab

« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2016, 11:13:45 PM »

CLKD, I take it to mean caused by actual physical  (hormonal) things. It's different than psychological which comes from your thoughts. As in, I could have a panic attack over having to make a speech in front of lots of people. That comes from a fear of public speaking, psychological. But if I'm just strolling down the road on a beautiful day and a panic attack comes on with no identifiable trigger, that's physical. At least that's how I see it.

kpatton56

« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2016, 07:28:54 AM »

It's the physical side which we can be reassured won't lead to anything worse so if we ride it out it will pass. The problem thoughts are harder to deal with. Does anyone have any good tactics to share re controlling anxious thinking?

CLKD

« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2016, 08:40:12 AM »

:thankyou:  that's clearer for me and nope, no coping skills hence the need for emergency meds.  :-\

I was 'taught' deep breathing many years ago which helped but I had to practice - of course, when I felt OK I forgot  >:(.
Some people find yoga or swimming useful as 'shutting off' time.
Also don't allow the body to become hungry, which is my problem this morning  :-[

dangermouse

« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2016, 09:22:14 AM »

The experience of anxiety is exactly the same in both cases as it's an adrenal response, but the physical is triggered by hormonal imbalance and the psychological is triggered by anxious thoughts. So if it's purely hormonal, psychotherapy will not be of much help beyond stopping things spiralling further out of control.

In the same way that docs shouldn't throw pills at all types of anxiety, us therapists shouldn't assume it's all mind driven!

However, many people may not be aware of the subconscious thoughts behind their psychological anxiety and that's where a therapist can be of great help in working with you to discover the source.

In order to recognise the difference, if the anxiety hits at certain times of the day/month or when there was no obvious reason, like in the middle of watching TV, it's probably hormonal. As much as psychological anxiety can surprise us out of the blue, most would be aware of a situation triggering it even if they don't understand why.

Suzi Q

« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2016, 12:55:48 PM »

Morning JJ

I have no personal experience but The Man was put on Citralopam a few years ago for depression.

The first few weeks were a roller coaster of side effects for him.  The one that sticks in my mind is when he got 'stuck' in the garden.  He was sat in a chair on the decking and found he couldn't move, neither could be shout to me to go and help him.  He persevered and the side effects died down, the benefits then started to kick in and they proved to be really effective for him.

I'm not saying this to scare you, but to give you courage to carry on with the Citralopam for a while longer as if your symptoms are due to it, they may well pass.

He's been my inspiration for gritting my teeth when I started HRT in January and carrying on through a raft of side effects, which sure enough, died down over 4 weeks..

Good luck.

Does anyone take Inderal bb?

CLKD

« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2016, 02:40:02 PM »

I did a 'search' Suzi and there several mentions …...

kpatton56

« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2016, 07:34:41 AM »

Same thing as propranolol which I take in sustained relief form for essential tremor 😀
Pages: 1 2 [3]