Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Our experiences of Utrogestan  (Read 61226 times)

Mary G

Re: Our experiences of Utrogestan
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2016, 01:57:07 PM »

I don't like Utrogestan but it is last chance saloon for me and the lesser of several evils.  I take it with a huge amount of reluctance and only because I absolutely cannot avoid it.  Taking it vaginally has fewer systemic side effects like mood change and breast pain but obviously this is not an option if your side effects are bladder or bowel related. 

I think Utrogestan is much stronger than many people imagine and it definitely hangs around in your system for longer than it states in the leaflet.  The effects of Utrogestan are cumulative so the longer you take it, the worse the side effects will be.  I find that I am OK until about day 4 so the only way to make it work is to limit its use.  I have a very stark choice, it's either (very) limited Utrogestan or a hysterectomy, there are no other options available and all forms of synthetic progesterone including the Mirena coil are a complete no-no. 

The problem is that nobody has been able to replicate progesterone successfully in the way they have with oestrogen (particularly the more recent bio identical oestrogen) and neither the synthetic stuff or Utrogestan is particularly satisfactory in my opinion. 

My verdict: it's time something better came along like a hormone free coil or some kind of ablation procedure that disables the womb post menopause and stops the lining building up.  That way, there was be no need to take any progesterone.  At the very least we need lower dose (25mg) Utrogestan.

Obviously if you are not sensitive or intolerant to progesterone then none of this is a problem.
Pages: 1 [2]