Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Has anyone cut their HRT conti patch in half??  (Read 40312 times)

netty114

Has anyone cut their HRT conti patch in half??
« on: August 30, 2015, 05:45:32 PM »

Hi.  I was abruptly taken off HRT conti patch at the beginning of June due to a bleed which shouldn't have occured.  I have had scans and a biopsy and all is ok so my doctor has now said it's ok for me to go back on the HRT.  My hot flushes and night sweats came back with a vengeance when I came off the HRT and I have perserved for 12 weeks but the sleepless nights are getting too much now. I have tried a range of tablets that the doctor gave me but nothing worked.  My question is - when I was on the patch I was able to sleep (which is what is missing now) but I put on weight.  I am worried about putting more weight on but want to sleep.  Has anyone cut their conti patch in half when weaning yourself off HRT.  I am thinking that maybe half a patch may help the flushes and night sweats and I may have half the battle with the weight gain?!

Kathleen

Re: Has anyone cut their HRT conti patch in half??
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 07:27:11 PM »

Hello netty114 and welcome to the forum.

Yep, in the past I have cut patches in half and recently I tried to reduce my dose by trimming about a fifth off each patch. I had been having a reddish discharge but when tests revealed no problems I went back to using the full patch.

I think a lot of ladies have experimented with patches in this way so I'm sure you'll receive more comments.

Take care.

K.

honeybun

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2015, 07:58:05 PM »

Yes me....I have been on half an Evorel conti patch for about 18 months now and get reasonable symptom control. I do have the occasional night sweat.
A few weeks ago they were more and I wondered whether to increase but I think it was more the weather than the patch.
It suits me and I will decrease further in the future.

Honeybun
X

netty114

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 08:14:08 PM »

Oh great. Thanks for your replies.  So can I assume it is safe to cut a continuous patch in half?  Did your doctors suggest or agree to it or is it just something you have decided on yourself?  I know that I have read that it is both ok and not ok!   A couple of family members have expressed concern about messing up the dose in the patch ie getting more of one thing than other when it should be continuous and may do more harm that good. I would rather hear from those who have actually done it, like yourselves, than ask the doctor in case she says no!!

honeybun

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2015, 08:19:22 PM »

My GP knows what I'm doing. Although I'm getting half a dose, I'm getting a balanced half dose and she is quite happy for me to do it.
It's different if you are adopting a different regime but half a patch is just fine.

Let us know,

Honeybun
X

Unhinged

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2015, 08:21:25 PM »

Hi Netty,

My doctor actually advised me to cut the patch in half. I had tried the Evoril conti patch after taking Femoston conti ultra low dose tablet. She was concerned that the patch was a much higher dose than the Femoston. She said I didn't have to, but she asked me to please give it a try cutting it in half so that I was on a low as dose as possible. I hope that helps.

Unhinged 

netty114

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2015, 09:13:29 PM »

Oh yes that does help, all of you.  Thank you!  I think I will just go ahead and do it tonight.  I have been thinking about it for a while and to know that you have done it and it is ok is what I needed to hear.  Thank you again.  I will let you know if it works for me  .......   :)

Smokey

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2015, 12:29:30 PM »

Hi my doc said I could cut mine in half they are everol sequil, he told me it's the ones with a grid mark on them that would be unsuitable for that!

Good luck

Smokey x

Hurdity

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2015, 07:43:10 PM »

Dr Currie has also endorsed this ie cutting Evorel conti in half

Hurdity x

Sunnydays

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2015, 08:26:35 PM »

Hi Netty i was recommended to cut this patch to see how i faired with the dose etc. I started on just a quarter and now use just under half a patch. It is quite fine to cut this patch down as the dosage is evenly distributed.

rantywoman

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2015, 02:56:35 PM »

Is it ok to cut Femseven Conti patches in half?

Pollie

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2015, 05:21:30 PM »

Oh yes that does help, all of you.  Thank you!  I think I will just go ahead and do it tonight.  I have been thinking about it for a while and to know that you have done it and it is ok is what I needed to hear.  Thank you again.  I will let you know if it works for me  .......   :)

Netty - you haven't said which patch you are on ....?

Some doctors may have advised other forum members its ok to cut certain brands but you might want to double check yours. In the back of my mind I recall there may be a 'matrix' type of patch and another different type of patch so they both may not be suitable to cut. Sorry I can't be more specific than that I think it's just something I've read somewhere ....

Pharmacist would most likely know  :)

Limpy

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2015, 05:34:34 PM »

I think the Matrix type of patches are the ones it's ok to cut - (e.g. Evorel and Femseven Conti)

rantywoman

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2015, 07:00:23 PM »

Thank you for your replies ladies. I have heard of another type of patch, called a reservoir. I don't know exactly what it is but by its very name it sounds as if it would maybe contain a gel and that would make it unsuitable for cutting in half.
I have been back on Vagifem only for the past month but want to retry the Femseven Conti. I just felt the full patch was too much so if I can cut it down that might help.

netty114

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2016, 08:36:54 PM »

Thank you for your replies ladies.  The patch was a FemSeven Conti.  I did cut it but half a patch wasn't enough for me so I went back on the full patch and things are great again.  Thank goodness for HRT!