Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: BBC1 - How To Stay Young - did you watch?  (Read 28394 times)

Taz2

Re: BBC1 - How To Stay Young - did you watch?
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2016, 07:23:21 PM »

Oh - it's right to the ground and back up? Lol I was doing it sitting on a chair!

Taz x

Kate50

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2016, 07:24:22 PM »

She needs to ditch the hair bobbles!  They age her

Taz2

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2016, 07:35:16 PM »

Well - I gave it a go. Managed one but I really don't like the feeling it's given me in my vaginal/pelvic region! I'm wondering if it's not something you should do after prolapse surgery.

Taz x  :-\

Taz2

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2016, 07:51:23 PM »

I didn't give it a thought. It was fine on the way down but on the way up it was definitely not comfy! I know that squats and pilates are not something I should do and there are some aquafit moves (not that I've actually ever gone) that are not advisable but didn't seem to see this sit/rise test in the same light. Mind you I can't see anything anywhere that says it's not for "repaired" ladies!

Taz x

robotwars

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2016, 07:54:01 PM »

I could get down but I couldn't get up! LOL

Taz2

« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2016, 08:08:25 PM »

I've found this on a health website. It doesn't mention prolapse but does say that the sit to rise test is not to be carried out by anyone with arthritis or joint problems but they go on to say this.

"In the UK, a similar test is used to evaluate a person's mobility and endurance. It's called the '30-second chair stand test', and looks at the number of times someone can perform a sit to stand movement in 30 seconds. Sammy Margo, a UK-based physiotherapist, explained that their test might be more appropriate for older people who are not used to sitting on the floor or who suffer from joint problems. She, however, acknowledges the SRT's ability to measure flexibility and strength."

It's back to the chair for me then  ;D

Taz x

Halfpint

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2016, 08:16:40 PM »

Taz, I've seen the chair one before.
I've tried the sitting one again while wearing my pyjamas and again, I can sit down no problem, I just can't get up and it kills my knees. I do have problems with my knees. I've got arthritis in my neck, so no doubt got it in other joints.
I'm also top heavy, so I'm blaming it on my big boobs stopping me from trying to lean forward to get back up!

Taz2

« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2016, 08:24:32 PM »

My OH can do it easily but he can also do the lotus pose - sits like that most of the time in the pub much to everyone's amusement. He keeps his back totally straight while getting down or up on the sit to rise test.

Feel tempted to try again but would need to empty my bladder first  ;D ;D

Taz xx

dahliagirl

« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2016, 08:32:01 PM »

I was taught a method of standing up in Contemporary dance where you sort of lean over to one side and put one hand down, then the other then move your foot round, then the other then come up to standing.  It is sort of a flowing spiral movement and does not put pressure on your joints.  If your are lying on your back, you can do it by starting with a sort of rolling movement that flows into the spiral.  It is much more fun, and you can do it even if you are old and your core muscles are not perfect, and it stops you getting stuck on the floor.

I had a go and could sit down fine, but getting up was harder - I know I am out of condition, so I had better work on it.

When I was pregnant with my twins, I sat down in the middle of the floor and could not find a way to get up again.  I got on to my hands and knees but there was nowhere for my knees to go to get me up.  I thought I was going to be stuck there until my husband came home from work, but fortunately I had shuffled closer to the armchair with all my attempts at manoeuvring and I managed to haul myself up with that.  It was very scary.

Halfpint

« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2016, 08:32:47 PM »

Aha, the straight back may be a clue why I can't do it. I have terrible posture and have spent years with hunched shoulders. My kids are obsessed with doing it. They just go down and straight back up easily. It's making me feel OLD!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2016, 09:29:02 PM »

That exercise is down-right dangerous!!!! It doesn't actually prove anything  ::).

I look forwards to the next programme - next Thursday? but it's a bit like telling youngsters that they have to look a 'certain' way - pressure to conform.  Staying thin enough, get drunk enough, wear the 'right' clothes in School, wear the 'correct' logos on clothing  :-\. Having said that I felt really good today, going out with Himself: until I saw this frump in a shop window   :'(

I had many tests done about 8 years ago, I do the bowel screening test when it arrives every 3 years, I eat well, don't exercise enough - I would rather find out any problems early enough to do something about them.  Fortunately my breast lump was found 'early' and dealt with, I have had tests for osteoporosis so would welcome an MRI if offered.

babyjane

« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2016, 08:49:13 AM »

Interesting your mention of your dear gran stellajane.  Both my grans live to 94, never took HRT, never indulged in organised exercise - housework without all the mod cons was enough exercise and my Nan did a lot of gardening too.  Natural foods cooked from scratch, no processed foods, walked everywhere, plenty of fresh air.  Nan gave up smoking at the age of 60 and lived to 94 having a small stroke 3 days before she died. Gran was a bit of a recluse during her last 2 decades, hardly went out and did a lot of sitting so was probably low in vitamin D.  She wasn't a pleasant character but rarely went to the doctors.

Nan especially didn't suffer foolishness, grafted hard all her life, not an ounce of self pity and no illness other than colds.

In my opinion the modern age with its stress, dietary choices, sedentary lifestyles and its obsession with 'healthy living' is not good for us.  We are all too self focussed and worried instead of just living.

One of the only upsides I can see is that children do not die of so many infectious illnesses these days but they get other things instead - childhood obesity and type 2 diabetes for example.

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2016, 09:25:17 AM »

Interesting your mention of your dear gran stellajane.  Both my grans live to 94, never took HRT, never indulged in organised exercise - housework without all the mod cons was enough exercise and my Nan did a lot of gardening too.  Natural foods cooked from scratch, no processed foods, walked everywhere, plenty of fresh air.  Nan gave up smoking at the age of 60 and lived to 94 having a small stroke 3 days before she died. Gran was a bit of a recluse during her last 2 decades, hardly went out and did a lot of sitting so was probably low in vitamin D.  She wasn't a pleasant character but rarely went to the doctors.

Nan especially didn't suffer foolishness, grafted hard all her life, not an ounce of self pity and no illness other than colds.

In my opinion the modern age with its stress, dietary choices, sedentary lifestyles and its obsession with 'healthy living' is not good for us.  We are all too self focussed and worried instead of just living.

One of the only upsides I can see is that children do not die of so many infectious illnesses these days but they get other things instead - childhood obesity and type 2 diabetes for example.

My mum will be 92 next month.  She's never smoked or drank alcohol in her life. She never did keep fit or anything like that but she did a lot of physical work gardening and riding her bike between cleaning jobs. 

Like most of her generation she had to be able to make meals from almost nothing and she was a good cook so we had lots of stews, casseroles etc with all fresh veggies from our garden.  I can also remember her though making a fry up for us using a pan full of lard.

She always had a sweet tooth and even now she eats doughnuts, bake well tarts, cherry pies, chocolates, sweets and her fave Cadburys Creme Eggs!! ;D

I honestly believe it's all the luck of the draw because I have already lost friends in their 50s who are vegetarians or very healthy eaters and really into running and keep fit. 

My dad lived to 85 and was brought up eating cheap cuts of meat, everything cooked in lard, dripping on bread, suet puddings, Yorkshire puddings etc.

babyjane

« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2016, 09:56:49 AM »

Thank you and I agree, you can only work with what you have and do your best. But I do believe the media's overexposure in the form of these programmes can add to the stress that is the main cause of ill health in the modern age. So many people are so afraid of getting it wrong that they miss out on the important thing, which is living and quality of life.  If I followed all the things 'they' tell us to do my life would be miserable.

Dyan

« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2016, 11:26:19 AM »

I recorded it and will watch it tonight.
Interesting feedback though.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4