Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: BBC1 - How To Stay Young - did you watch?  (Read 28396 times)

Night_Owl

BBC1 - How To Stay Young - did you watch?
« on: April 08, 2016, 11:03:53 AM »

Did anybody watch this last night - and try the experiment of sitting down and getting up to test fitness? 

It was informative, however no mention of people affected by certain health conditions (eg. R.Arthritis) - sweeping assumption that by being vegan, eating nuts (specifically walnuts), pulses (high resistance starch) dancing and dog-loving, everybody could be healthy?  Of course all of that has to help, however ...

Good genes are down to luck.  Angela Rippon seems to have been pretty lucky, apart from her internal fat deposit issue.  Interesting re: Inulin.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b076zf93/how-to-stay-young-episode-1

losttheplot

Re: BBC1 - How To Stay Young - did you watch?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2016, 12:00:59 PM »

Yes! I went to bed very depressed. ...& i think if i tried the sitting & standing exercise i would end up having to call an ambulance!  :o

As with all this 'best for health 'advice, it relies on being in reasonable health to start with, and deep pockets ....
Interesting though  :)

Halfpint

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2016, 12:26:09 PM »

OMG! I feel so unfit. I didn't see the programme but just watched the sitting down/getting up test and my three young kids did it no problem. I was also OK sitting down but could not get up at all and now my knees are killing me! I don't do much exercise at all and I am a real couch potato, so going by their scores and what it means, I better get exercising!

Angela did look good but no offence to people who don't have kids, but Angela hasn't had any either and I have an Auntie who never married or had kids and she is still going strong into her 80's. I always say it's because she didn't have the stress etc of marriage and kids! Other people I know with no kids look young as well! I got my first grey hair when I had my first child!

Katejo

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2016, 12:31:41 PM »

I didn't  watch it due to a clash but did record  it so will watch it this weekend and try the exercise.

Witches Cat

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2016, 12:40:14 PM »

Yes I watched it, hubby was out at skittles, so I tried the sitting down/getting up exercise.. what a hopeless mess I made of it.. fell backwards on sitting down, tried to sit up and get up, rolled over onto hands and knees, got up and took my jeans off, convinced they were too tight in that position... made no difference, still couldn't do it.  I liked the idea of the Inulin powder on food to try and help shift internal fat. I don't mind pulses (lentils, chick peas and the like) but I couldn't eat enough to do any good judging by the amount Angela Rippon had in a bowl in front of her. Looking forward to next week's prog.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2016, 12:42:49 PM »

I watched.  Enjoyed.

However: There is no way that a person should be sitting down crossed legs as they suggested  >:( - the quickest way to crack the coccyx  :o

As for eating more nuts ………  ::).  We eat plenty.  Unless everyone is offered an MRI that Angela underwent, then how can the NHS be aware of what any of us needs to eat!

She looks awful first thing in the morning  ::)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 01:43:04 PM by CLKD »

Ju Ju

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2016, 01:13:30 PM »

Did anybody watch this last night - and try the experiment of sitting down and getting up to test fitness? 

It was informative, however no mention of people affected by certain health conditions (eg. R.Arthritis) - sweeping assumption that by being vegan, eating nuts (specifically walnuts), pulses (high resistance starch) dancing and dog-loving, everybody could be healthy?  Of course all of that has to help, however ...

Good genes are down to luck.  Angela Rippon seems to have been pretty lucky, apart from her internal fat deposit issue.  Interesting re: Inulin.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b076zf93/how-to-stay-young-episode-1

No I didn't see the programme. Perhaps I had better not! I'm allergic to walnuts, pulses give me toxic wind, I have 2 left feet and allergic to dogs! No hope for me then! ;D

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2016, 01:23:32 PM »

I would love to have an MRI to see how much fat I carry internally!

Kathleen

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2016, 01:35:25 PM »

Hello ladies.

I saw the programme and thought it was really interesting.

There are many studies on the Californian Seventh Day Adventist group which demonstrate that a vegan diet is the healthiest. I would love to know how the women in this community coped with the menopause and if their diet impacted on their hormones.

Forgive me ladies but gotta say I found the sit and rise test easy and managed to do it ten times on the trot! Mind you I did already know about it and have done it before. There is a problem though because after a while the side of my foot begins to hurt  and that prevents me doing other types of exercise. You just can't win sometimes!

Take care ladies.

K.

Halfpint

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2016, 02:02:53 PM »

Ha ha! I also took my trousers off as I thought that would help. Sadly it didn't!

Well done Kathleen, you must be very supple.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 05:07:40 PM by Halfpint »

Kathleen

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2016, 04:01:28 PM »

Hello sparkle, Stellajane and Halfpint.

Ooh, thank you ladies for your kind words.

I was wearing jogging bottoms so tight clothes were not a problem and although I'm a bit bendy I don't think I am particularly supple or fit.

Oddly I do feel better for doing the exercise, sort of stronger and with a slightly better posture. Feeling young, well and happy is a big ask for a simple exercise lol but the sense of achievement was nice so I'll keep at it providing it doesn't hurt my foot too much!  It's just nice to find something I'm good at!

Wishing you all well.

K.

Kathleen

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2016, 05:25:38 PM »

Hello sparkle.

I hadn't done the exercise for quite a while because I knew it hurt my foot and that made walking painful and I like walking ( it's the only real exercise I enjoy ).

I have found that when doing the sit and rise test it helps if you lean forward as you get up plus I understand that just getting out of a chair without using your hands is also good for improving core strength and balance.

Good luck ladies!

K.

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2016, 06:55:55 PM »

I didn't watch it but I did see A Rippon discussing it on The One Show. 

I was sitting in GP surgery tonight and oddly enough was watching older people and thinking how grateful me and hubby should be that we get around OK.  Last  week we were on hols in Tenerife and first day we walked 6 miles and I ended up with a large blister and hubby had sore heels.  We both wore walking sandals but hadn't worn them since last sept so it was our own fault really.

It took a couple of days until our feet felt better and we did some moaning but TBH you see people maybe 10 years older than us and they're on sticks or have dodgy hips and knees and I came home determined that we have to keep as active as we can while we are still able.

However, as someone said at the start of this thread, people with arthritis, rheumatism etc can't do much about it sadly. 

Taz2

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2016, 07:02:11 PM »

I haven't seen it yet but will watch it! Is the sitting down standing up test where you stand in front of a chair and cross your legs and then sit down without touching anything and then stand up again? If so I can do that one easily which probably means it's not the one!

Taz x  :-\

Kate50

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2016, 07:12:02 PM »

Did it twice husband who's super fit didn't do it once? ?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4